FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Troy7785, wakita, swisztony, Tonybb, shelly1993
22920 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
Bartfast 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22920 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#227332 - 02/01/06 04:38 PM PROTEIN QUESTION
-Kagemusha- Offline

Loc: Illinois
I was just wondering why, if in English the rule has always been I before E...except after C....What the hell is going on with protein? It neither has a C, or an I before E...J/W LOLLERZ

...kidding of course. I was wanting to break in a noob question with an even noobier question.

OK, I just started taking protein suppliments (ON 100% whey gold standard to be exact) in order to do all that I can to prepare for my upcoming fight in approx. two months. My problem/worry is that I have a ridiculously easy time to both lose and gain weight...for instance, this past friday I was at 141.2, over the weekend due to poor diet at late hours I got up to 145.6, now I'm back at 142.3 by Wednesday...All I'm really trying to ask is if the protein suppliment will add to my weight, cause I hope to fight in the 139/137 weight division.

I only currently take it two times a day, when I wake up and just after I train, instead of the suggested four times a day.

Please let me know if I should avoid this for the time being, and what other things I might try to avoid in order to slim down as much as possible and stay that way for as long as possible.

My apologies for the lengthy post, and THANK YOU for those who have read up to this point.

#227333 - 02/01/06 06:24 PM Re: PROTEIN QUESTION [Re: -Kagemusha-]
Borrek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
except as in AY like in neighbor or weigh? maybe we should be saying "Protayne"

...but it sounds like your weight fluctuations would have more to do with water weight than protein. Protein is notoriously difficult to digest. In order, your body digests sugars, then when those are gone it goes for fat and finally muscle. Since protein in a supplement is mainly going to be for muscle growth, I doubt you are fluctuating muscle mass that rapidly.

more likely you are gaining and losing water weight. Your first source of energy is glucose, which your body stores in water in your liver. When you "diet" or use a ton of energy, that glucose is gone and the water is unbound so you expel it.

Do you have a sweet tooth? Spiking your sugar will also spike the amount of water bound to it and you'll gain quickly. try to eat more fiber and avoid processed sugars (fruits are okay) and you will have a more stable weight.

#227334 - 02/01/06 10:54 PM Re: PROTEIN QUESTION [Re: -Kagemusha-]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
This may sound a bit obvious, but are you weighing yourself at the same times each day?

#227335 - 02/02/06 10:28 AM Re: PROTEIN QUESTION [Re: JoelM]
-Kagemusha- Offline

usually, yes. I also weight myself before and after my workout to factor in the natural swoll after working out.

My main question is if I should keep up with the protein, or if I should drop it because it will help me gain unecessary weight (fat or muscle). For the next two months I am going to be doing my best to slim down as much as possible, so I can lose extra pounds of fat.

All in all, my body fat % use to be 4%, if I can get it back to that or even near that...I would be happy. If protein is only going to hurt my chances with this, please let me know.

Thanks again people

#227336 - 02/02/06 10:59 AM Re: PROTEIN QUESTION [Re: -Kagemusha-]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

usually, yes. I also weight myself before and after my workout to factor in the natural swoll after working out.

"natural swoll"? I've never tried it, but do you gain weight while you work out? I don't really see that as a possibility since you don't ingest anything besides water, right?

Sorry for side-tracking, but I'm just a little confused by what you said.

#227337 - 02/02/06 11:06 AM Re: PROTEIN QUESTION [Re: JoelM]
-Kagemusha- Offline

yeah you do. Not much, but it all depends on how hard you lift. As far as the reasons why, I'm probably not the best one to ask.

I do know that it has something to with the acids in your body...something with chemistry. But, as I said before I'm probably not the best one to ask.

One of my powerlifting buddies tried to explain it to me by making me realize after you lift how you always look bigger/feel bigger, that's the natural swoll caused by something chemically in your body. And of course it's only temporary, usually lasting until you go to bed (which is when the soreness takes over).

I'll ask my friend when I talk to him next, which should be sometime later today, and I'll be sure to get back to you.

#227338 - 02/02/06 01:42 PM Re: PROTEIN QUESTION [Re: -Kagemusha-]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
You can easily fluctuate weight quickly through hydration levels. You will always be heavier at night than you are in the morning, it is not uncommon for the difference to be 6-8 lbs, and thats in 12 hours!.
For this reason, it is best not to weigh yourself too often. if you didnt have a weight class to make, I would tell you to stop weighing yourself altogether, but you do, so once per week will be enough. Do it on the same day of the week, at the same time of the day, wearing the same clothes, using the same scales positioned in the same place. Also make sure you weigh BEFORE any training, and have at least 2 hours prior to weigh in without food.
Having such consistent factors will give you a much better idea of how you are doing.

The 'swoll' you describe is merely a build up of lactic acid caused by anearobic training.Its commonly referred to as a 'pump', and has NO bearing whatsoever on any increase in weight.

Protein supplements, if taken in balance with your energy requirements and goals will not make you fat. I would personaly take 1 shake within 1 hour after training, and another a few hours before bedtime. The rest of your diet should be 'clean' ie. lots of fresh foods, low salt, plenty of fruit and veg- just good natural wholesome food, in sensible quantities, little and often throughout your day.

I say again, wighing yourself too often will just mess with your head, give you innacurate readings, and hamper your focus on whats really important- getting in fighting condition for your competition.
If you have held a genuine 4% bodyfat before (to be honest, thats doubtful as its unhealthy to do so), then that indicates to me that you have a fast metabolic rate, this is good as a bit of clean living and your fight conditioning will get your weight down no problems.

#227339 - 02/02/06 08:46 PM Re: PROTEIN QUESTION [Re: Cord]
-Kagemusha- Offline

My apologies for being somewhat misleading. I may be wrong, I can't say for sure whether or not it is true or false without my own research.

But as for the 4% body fat, that is true as I was 129 pounds of only the necessary things to survive (e.g. skin, bones). I can honestly say that I wasn't as healthy as I am now. Micheal Jordan was notorious for being at 2-3% body fat, mostly anyone who wishes to be a successful bodybuilder wants to get down to at least that. It isn't all that hard to picture. I don't disagree with the health issue, but much worse has been done in the name of health.

Thank you very much everyone for your help, any other pointers involving some basic tips on preparing for my fight would be VERY much appreciated.

sincerely

#227340 - 02/03/06 07:55 AM Re: PROTEIN QUESTION [Re: -Kagemusha-]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

My apologies for being somewhat misleading. I may be wrong, I can't say for sure whether or not it is true or false without my own research.

Well, you could take my word for it, seeing as how its based on actual scientific fact.

Quote:

But as for the 4% body fat, that is true as I was 129 pounds of only the necessary things to survive (e.g. skin, bones). I can honestly say that I wasn't as healthy as I am now.

Well, why did you get to this sorry state? were you/are you anorexic? also, the only way to confirm you true bodyfat level is via a full emersion hydrostat measurement, only available in a few medical research facilities. All other tests are aproximations based on data gatherd from these true tests.

Quote:

Micheal Jordan was notorious for being at 2-3% body fat, mostly anyone who wishes to be a successful bodybuilder wants to get down to at least that. It isn't all that hard to picture.

bodybuilders aim to hit that bodyfat level for ONE DAY. After the competition is over they are straight down the ice cream parlour, believe me. As for high level athletes, they actively make sure they do not drop below 6%.

Quote:

I don't disagree with the health issue, but much worse has been done in the name of health.

Actually, no, it doesnt get much worse than that. Below 6% bodyfat, you start eating into the brown fat around your organs- this removes the natural protection and temperature regulation that it gives. Also your immune system fails, your hormone production goes haywire and your body begins to shut down, organ by organ till you die. Long term sub 6% bodyfat is about as bad as it gets.

Quote:

Thank you very much everyone for your help, any other pointers involving some basic tips on preparing for my fight would be VERY much appreciated.

You need to consult your trainer on pre fight preparation, and I would respectfuly suggest you consider my initial post to ensure that you do not damage your health through poor diet.

#227341 - 02/03/06 12:15 PM Re: PROTEIN QUESTION [Re: Cord]
-Kagemusha- Offline

Well. If I would have known that my question would have gotten turned into a nit-picking interrogation, I would have prepared myself and my words for battle, so to speak. There is a fine line between correcting someone when they're wrong, and going on a conquest to prove someone wrong.

Having said so...NO I am not, nor was I ever anorexic. I am 5 feet 9 inches in height. You of all people should know that 129 is 1 pound under my range for being a healthy weight at my height (approx. 130-167).

We can simply agree to disagree with your points on below 6% body fat is as bad as it gets, and having bodybuilders get down below that for "ONE DAY."

Thanks anyhow Cord, I know were simply trying to help in your own way. And I will make sure to take your advice on pre-fight preparations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga