FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
ergees 2
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35583 Topics
432511 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#227180 - 03/16/07 05:29 PM Re: krav Maga Curriculum? [Re: sproutopop]
Dedicated1 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
The failure rate for Instructor Certification is very high, so you usually only pass if you are at the top of your game. If your Instructor is good at what he does I wouldn't sweat it.

#227181 - 03/16/07 08:13 PM Re: krav Maga Curriculum? [Re: Scotland_krav]
TomTom Offline

Loc: UK
Is it just me or is this becoming far too political and forgetting the entire point of Krav Maga. That it is based on simplicity and the bodies natural system of reaction and movement. How is Krav going in Scotland ? Does it have much of a following? I'm at a club in Essex, and it's pretty much unheard of.

#227182 - 03/16/07 09:42 PM Re: krav Maga Curriculum? [Re: TomTom]
sproutopop Offline

Asking questions and examining systems isn't a threat. Its a good thing.

Krav is a great system.

However its become so popular in the U.S. that its placing huge demands on schools. Ultimately those demands may not be a bad thing.

But the massive growth in popularity during my time there made them more evident as time went on.

There aren't enough teachers to go around. So an alternative track was created unlike other systems to quickly train teachers.

The question is whether or not rapid rigorous training of teachers is a replacement for experience in the system?

#227183 - 03/17/07 07:54 AM Re: krav Maga Curriculum? [Re: sproutopop]
TomTom Offline

I think that I would lean towards experiance over rapid training, in order to retain the integrity of the system as a whole. It comes across a little, that it is demand that is shaping the future.Which I'm not sure is a good thing?? I see mention the phrase Mcdojo used quite a bit - I'm guessing this is pretty much aimed at insructors with either fake credentials or have only been using the system a number of months and have now put themseleves forward as a teacher. Personally I'm not that interested by certificates or diplomas of one school over another either, as long as you are happy with your instructor I guess is the real truth.But if you are buying into any product, you should receive, what you thought you were buying! With a lot of schools in any MA, it is a business, and as such they should be open about there product/service they are supplying. As humans we are competative by nature, why else do we learn self deence or a martial art? To protect ourselves from each other! We will always judge each other, mines better than yours, my dad's bigger than your dad! it is human nature.
But I do think that schools must be open about the credentials of there instructors, it will then be up to the students to form there own opinion.
You pays your money , you takes your choice!

#227184 - 03/17/07 09:30 AM Re: krav Maga Curriculum? [Re: TomTom]
sproutopop Offline

Agreed. That's why my original post wasn't necessarily a knock against Krav. I can argue both sides of the issue and am truly on the fence.

I think the question in the Krav world is different than the one about McDojos because you do have that unique element of standardization required by mandatory training at the national center. So its not a black and white answer concerning the quality of instruction.

My situation was probably made more unique because I was one of the original students at this particular Krav school. When several of the initial instructors left, it made all the advanced students much more senior than the instructors who came in to fill their shoes.

In a perfect world, those advanced students (me included) probably would have gone into the instructor track and done all the training in LA. However, due to time and expense, that wasn't in the cards.

#227185 - 03/18/07 09:47 AM Re: krav Maga Curriculum? [Re: sproutopop]
TomTom Offline

Money and time ! Always my problem too!!

In your case, I'd probably be happier being taught by yourself with the greater experiance and someone who has just done an intensive course? But saying that everyone has to start as a new instructor at some point?? Ideally it would be experience plus the instructor course, that is easier said than done though!

Is there much of a difference in Krav across the US from coast to coast?? It's very difficult to answer it for the UK, mainly because there are so few schools, so comparing is very hard as your lucky to find one school never mind 2!
Krav is obviously pretty big across Europe but it is still early days in the UK really, once you get out of London it is difficult to find a school.

#227186 - 03/20/07 11:36 AM Re: krav Maga Curriculum? [Re: TomTom]
sproutopop Offline

I'm not sure about how it translates coast to coast. I am on the East Coast. I hear very good things about several of the schools in the Mid-Atlantic. Beyond that, I'm not a good resource for info. Maybe someone else has some knowledge?

#227187 - 07/23/07 05:17 PM Re: krav Maga Curriculum? [Re: Stormdragon]
Meliam Offline

Hey all, I'm new to this forum but I wanted to comment on this topic. I am from Europe. Grew up in South America and Europe, and I live now in the US.

My background is Knock-Down Karate, Muay Thai, and BJJ before I got into Krav.

It is very hard to compare systems belt for belt, some systems will focus on some aspects of the curriculum before others. As long as it all gets covered in the end it's all good.

Furthermore; Just because a system or a group are the original practitioners of the system does not mean they are the best.Look at the Dutch Thai Boxers (Even fighters from Thailand travel to Holland now to train with the Dutch Fighters)or take Brazilian Jujitsu VS Japanese Jujitsu. Some styles that are good in themselves can evolve to something even better when used by groups that bring in new ideas that the founders of the system did not include in the original form.

Meliam

#227188 - 09/10/07 04:36 PM Re: krav Maga Curriculum? [Re: Meliam]
sproutopop Offline

I understand what you're saying. Maybe I wasn't clear in what I said.

New ideas are always great to incorporate and should never be disregarded just because they are new.

However, there is a difference between that and simply buying a certificate to teach.

In my opinion, for Krav its a hard thing to balance at this point in time. It is a great system and is growing rapidly

However, its hard to keep motivated people in a system when those students (who by their nature have put many long hours training) see a short-time instructor pay a fee and obtain elevated status. There is a credibility/respect issue.

#422687 - 10/02/09 04:05 PM Re: krav Maga Curriculum? [Re: sproutopop]
OrZ Offline
Stranger

Hi, i'm also new to this forum, i train KM in israel for a few years now and i also used to train Judo (6 years) and Tkd (3 years).

i saw alot of you guys talking about the differences between styles that you have in other countries of KM that i really didnt know about as in israel we have 2 known styles of KM which is Krav Maga and Krav Magen. both supposed to be about the same.

with that i saw alot of peoples were numbering some differences between what they saw in israel and what they saw back in the u.s.

for that i can tell you that most of the change you witness is not in what they teach but in the mentality of the people in israel, i've visited in europe and in u.s for many times for periods of month+ and i can tell you that the israeli peoples are much more Aggresive (in nature but also on the other side a bit wormer), i belive this comes from the enviorment we live in here. most peoples in israel were in the army alot of the martial artists also as combatant and were in life & death situations. and there is always the fear of terrorist acts that may happen here or kidnaping so when we train in the krav maga it is as if we were in a life - death situation that unfortuantly most of us in here know.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga