FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Today at 12:04 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432456 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#226474 - 01/30/06 11:38 AM Re: SIDEKICKS [Re: jamestkdkungfu]
jamestkdkungfu Offline

sidekicks are not practiced nearly enough in olmpic taekwondo mainly in sparring is what I was saying and people should try it and people may do better on tornoments that have a hard time turning there back on an opponent(its always seemed like a bad idea to me but i try to use them)
SIDEKICK=AWSOME sorry about the grammer i need to learn how to spell

#226475 - 01/30/06 12:11 PM Re: SIDEKICKS [Re: jamestkdkungfu]
Subedei Offline

Sorry, I had an unintentional 'not' in there which may have made it confusing, or perhaps not.

I assumed the side kick in question was what we call the "old style" side kick. This is generally thrown from a back stance with the rear leg by pivoting that side forward as you'd do with a rear leg roundhouse.

I'm citing the multitude of other side kick variations that capitalize on forward, linear motion.

'Skip/hop' sidekick generally thrown from a riding horse stance in which the rear leg is pulled into the lead leg in a kind of skipping or hopping motion before the kick is thrown with front. Linear.

'Step behind' sidekick in which the rear foot crosses the lead. Front leg distance closing kick and linear.

'Turning' sidekick in which the body turns backwards pivoting on the heel to a position similar to that from which a step behind sidekick is thrown. I'd say linear since the turn doesn't really count. Criticising this kick for "turning your back to your opponent" has always seemed rather silly to me. The turn should be so rapid as to actually be faster than most other side kick variants, it's supposed to be thrown as a counterattack during your opponents attack thus negating his counterattacking options as he's already in motion AND it's approaching from an angle that's really a lot harder to counter than most other kicks. How are you in danger throwing it? Linear.

'Stepping, turning' sidekick. Distance closing step added before turning side kick, rather confusing. Linear.

'back kick' side kick. turn to the back and thrown kick while truly facing away from your opponent, I've never been at all fond of this kick. Linear

'jumping/flying' side kick. Step and jump version of the 'old style' sidekick, circular, as per your argument.

'push' sidekick. Done by simply bringing the front leg up into a chamber position and kicking out with it. Very little power compared to other side kicks, generally used to get your opponent away from you, linear.

Edited by Subedei (01/30/06 12:13 PM)

#226476 - 01/31/06 07:51 PM Re: SIDEKICKS [Re: Subedei]
jamestkdkungfu Offline

I ment both I didnt know what to call it because it was never taught to me at taekwondo but at kindai

#226477 - 01/31/06 11:09 PM Re: SIDEKICKS [Re: jamestkdkungfu]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
James you make a good point.

I have seen only 2 effective styles of sparring for olympic sparring. One is the flashy style with spins and turns, which my current insturctor teaches to all the elite athletes and the other is a style taught by my former teacher who was a Pan American champ in TKD.

My former instructor keeps it real simple and real basic, he uses his lead leg and throws thrusting side kicks at chest and face level. And his rear leg for round kicks. He rarely does a back kick, he prefers not to turn his back.

My current teacher is really tall around 6'1 and my former teacher is really short around 5'4. Both clearly are WTF style practitioners, the kicks they do are completely the same, just one favors the simple kicks over the new flashy ones. Both use upright stances but my former tecahs likes to work from the inside becuase he is short, but his thrusting side kick is very powerful, he keeps himself very limber constantly stretching. All his kicks are basic, he doesn't throw any of the doubles or tripples that are popular in the sport right now. He does plenty of combinations just keeps them basic. Oh and he loves throwing the classic lead leg hook kick to the face followed by the side kick to the chest. Something you never see in WTF competition.
Vinci

#226478 - 02/01/06 10:47 AM Re: SIDEKICKS [Re: TeK9]
Subedei Offline

My biggest problem with olympic style is the bouncing, what's with the bouncing?

#226479 - 02/01/06 01:16 PM Re: SIDEKICKS [Re: Subedei]
blascun2k Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX USA
Quote:

My biggest problem with olympic style is the bouncing, what's with the bouncing?

Its kinda like foot work is to boxing, keeps you moving and ready to evade a strike, or move in with your own if you see an opening, or at least thats my thought...could be wrong.

#226480 - 02/01/06 02:28 PM Re: SIDEKICKS [Re: Subedei]
jamestkdkungfu Offline

Quote:

alot of people bounce keeping there toes on the ground but some take there whole foot of the ground which is bad if they do that kick them evertime they bounce up they wont react as good

#226481 - 02/01/06 05:38 PM Re: SIDEKICKS [Re: Eveal]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

I think your trying to get into a discussion in which one is having. My question to subdei was if he noticed how some TKD or MA practitioners claim they do the side kick but in actuality they are really doing round kicks.

Ex: have you ever seen a Billy Blanks TaeBo video workout? Those people are throwing round kicks but they look like side kicks because of the position the foot is in, they are either using the foots swords edge or the heel, but the chamber is coming from the bent knee. In other words right before they kick, thier foot is touching thier butts. If they were doing real side kicks thier foot would not be chambered in that manner. Get it?

Noone disputed what you said, infact I'd say everyone agrees with it. SIde kicks are powerful, more powerful that round kicks and front kicks.
Vinci

#226482 - 02/02/06 09:11 PM Re: SIDEKICKS [Re: TeK9]
jamestkdkungfu Offline

i know what u mean i do those too but the chmabering sidekick love it to death

#226483 - 02/03/06 04:12 AM Re: SIDEKICKS [Re: Subedei]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Just as James and Blascun has said.

It helps to stay mobile to retreat and attack.
Helps build momentum for those advance kicks and kicking combos.

But some competitors over do it, I mean you should never let your entire foot leave the floor unless your actually moving the entire body. Those who bounce lifting the balls of the foot off the canvas are in for a rude awakening. I suppose they don’t know how vulnerable they are yet to attacks.

I remember when I was a green belt and had just learned the back kick (spinning back kick in WTF style) I was sparring against my brother and he was bouncing so high off the matt. I was a newb at that time and had no knowledge or concept of attack strategies. So I just attack with a back kick, I manage to catch him on the way up and he flew around 6 feel back and landed on his butt. It looked so cool, I bet others assumed I had the strength of Hercules; even I was a little amazed at my strength. Until we figured out what really happened.

The bouncing is done mostly by those who are in a horse stance who keep their upper body at a 90 degree angle; I prefer to use more of a forward stance, like a boxer keeping my upper body at 45 degrees. I like to rock on my knees a bit to give the illusion that I am bounce…well techniquely I’m bouncing from the knees rather than the heels. But its safer.
Vinci

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga