FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
trevek 6
JKogas 5
cxt 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:17 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432446 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#226290 - 01/31/06 09:00 PM Re: meaning of kung fu [Re: pathfinder7195]
Guy Offline

Loc: Indiana USA
Quote:

A fighters life span only last at the most twenty years so if it takes you ten years to become good than you already missed the boat.

Well that is fine with me because if you multiply 10 times 3, you will still have to add another year to equal the time I've been active in the martial arts. And Iím still going strong.

In fact right now I am in the best shape of my life. I weigh only 145 pounds yet I can lift over 400 pounds on my own vertical leg press. And not just one rep but around 15 reps. Would you like to see a video of that too? In fact I have a whole basement full of single station weight machines.

Oh you guy are too much. lol

Guy

#226291 - 01/31/06 11:54 PM Re: meaning of kung fu [Re: Guy]
pathfinder7195 Offline

Loc: T.C Michigan, U.S
What kind of fighting did you do MMA or point?
By the way I have a basement with a wooden dummy, double end bag, 6' thai bag, and a speed bag. For weights I like the gym, all those cute girls.

Kevin

#226292 - 02/01/06 04:48 PM Re: meaning of kung fu [Re: pathfinder7195]
Guy Offline

Quote:

What kind of fighting did you do MMA or point?
By the way I have a basement with a wooden dummy, double end bag, 6' thai bag, and a speed bag. For weights I like the gym, all those cute girls.

In my basement I have a Yukon angle leg press rated for 800 pounds, a Body by Jake cable machine, and the next three things from Body Solid, a seated leg extension leg curl machine, ab board, and a chest pad row machine. In my living room I have a Body Solid pro squat rack (too tall to fit in basement), and a 12 section puzzle mat, each section I square meter for forms. In the dinning room I have NordicTrackís brand new CX 1055 Elliptical machine. This machine is huge, you can see it at Sears. It looks like they took a treadmill base and put an oversize elliptical machine on it. On the highest resistance it takes about 70 or 80 percent of my body weight to move it. Of all my weight machines my squat rack is the most versatile. I got the one where you can slide the safety bars up and down with just pop pins. Its great for stretching in, for laying a board across and using it for a work table, and a base to mount martial art accessories that I design.

As for fighting I know MA means martial arts but I donít know what MMA means. I only went to one tournament and I didnít like that scene. First I had to drive hundreds of miles to another state, then I had to sit half the day on a hard gym floor, after doing that I just wanted to go home so I didnít really have my heart into it when it was my turn to fight; I didnít do good. I just thought it was a big waste of my time especially when nobody really cared if I won or lost. I never went to another tournament again. That made my instructor upset but oh well. I didnít really care about rank either. It seems to me the more rank you have the more you are expected to instruct others and the less time you have to work on your own thing. So now whenever I take a short membership to check out a new gym I never test for the next belt. Even if you are a black belt they want you to start out with a white belt again, but that's fine with me because as a white belt they will never ask me to instruct. Everybody can see that I have a very high skill level and I will help people. I just donít want to teach classes. I love to train. Most of the time black belts wont fight me because it makes them look bad getting beat by a white belt. And most of the time Iím sparring people who are hostile against me and we are practically fighting for real. That doesnít bother me either because that is the way I learned. When I get rough with them they take it out on my car so I just ride in 2000 dollar cars, that way I donít care what they do Iíll just get another car.

So now when ever I feel like working out with someone else I will go to a TKD gym that is owned by someone who seems to like me, he is also a policemen. He will let me work out for a whole year for only 200 dollars. That is real cheap. But even when I work out there I work out by myself. I would come in an hour or two early and work on my ITF forms even though that is not the forms they teach, the class will all come in work out and leave and I am still in my own little space working on my forms after they are gone. Sometime I am the last one in the gym and have to turn out the lights and lock to door when I leave. This is a good TKD gym and teach good skills. Still just my presence there rases the standard for everybody else. I canít wait to wow him with my Chinese forms.

When ever I want to amuse myself with pretty girls I will buy a one day membership at the WYCA. Sometimes I am watching the women gymnastics working out with other people also watching and they would say. Wow, look at how limber they are going down in the splits that way. And I would say, I use to be that limber when I was young too but now I can only get my crotch this close to the floor and hold my fingers about a quarter of an inch apart. They would say oh no way. And I would say yeah I can. So then I have to get on the mat and flop down in the splits and they are all standing there with their mouth open and all the young women gymnasts are clapping their hands for me. And I have even more fun with the full grown aerobic women. I would find a mat somewhere where they can see me and go through my whole stretch out routine. It kind of gives my self esteem a big boost seeing all these cream of the crop women falling all over themselves trying to get my attention. But I know they just want me for my body so I donít take them serious.

Guy

PS, isn't it fun being cool? It's even more fun to talk the talk I learned from Muhammad Ali and walk the walk I learned from China and Korea.

#226293 - 02/01/06 08:54 PM Re: meaning of kung fu [Re: Guy]
pathfinder7195 Offline

Loc: T.C Michigan, U.S
"MMA" stands for "mixed martial arts". These are tournaments where punching, kicking, grappling, submission holds are all allowed. Very fun to do.

Kevin

#226294 - 02/01/06 09:56 PM Re: meaning of kung fu [Re: Guy]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
If you have aqcuired the skills that you have ranted about, why not pass it on. In China, they tought me;
A great warrior never keeps to himself whatever makes him great. He becomes even greater when he shares his greatness to the weaker.

I don't have any personal training equipment. All I have is two dumbells, one rope, one push-up stand and a ten kilometer road that I run every morning. I think that's enough. It's not the fighting that makes you stronger, it's the passion of it. You seem to possess a deep passion for MA, that will make you strong.

What you lack however, is that you see MA as a competition. To beat others. Although not in the form of combat, you still seek to win over others in the form of form competition. Competition is good, but currently, you're practicing more to win, than to understand. I don't believe that Chinese gung-fu can be understood in the span of one man's life, nor any martial art. Personally, I would like to move on with my Muay Boran, but I have lost the interest of doing so. I feel there's more to the MA scenery than just striking.

-Taison out

#226295 - 02/01/06 11:02 PM Re: meaning of kung fu [Re: Guy]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: kokokokokoko
Quote:

PS, isn't it fun being cool? It's even more fun to talk the talk I learned from Muhammad Ali and walk the walk I learned from China and Korea.

Just as I expected. Its just going to get thicker and thicker from here on out until the troll tires of the gag.
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts. Note: The Signature feature is currently not enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

#226296 - 02/02/06 07:16 PM Re: meaning of kung fu [Re: Guy]
RockHard Huy Offline

Ten dollars says that this Guy is Ashida Kim.

#226297 - 02/03/06 12:10 AM Re: meaning of kung fu [Re: pathfinder7195]
Guy Offline

Ok, now I know what MMA means.

Do you use filing techniques to set up your chin nas? Filing is used to shave time off of setting it up. An example of what I mean is, hold your left hand palm down, press your right forearm against the back of your left forearm and push your right arm to the left letting the friction of your right arm turn your left palm face up and presto the left hand is in a position you can grab the hand to apply the technique. But when you do this to another you first make contact with a block, then use a filing motion with the blocking arm to turn the hand in the direction you want for the technique you want to apply. Then when you grab the hand you donít have to twist it because it is already there. Isnít that neat!!

Oh, I see I acquired another troll. One a day it seems. lol

Guy

#226298 - 02/05/06 12:38 AM Re: meaning of kung fu [Re: Guy]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Quote:

hold your left hand palm down, press your right forearm against the back of your left forearm and push your right arm to the left letting the friction of your right arm turn your left palm face up and presto the left hand is in a position you can grab the hand to apply the technique.

What are you going on about?

-Taison out

#226299 - 02/05/06 03:56 AM Re: meaning of kung fu [Re: Taison]
Yuzi Offline

I'm Chinese here... Basically "Gong Fu" means hard work/ puting effort.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga