FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35592 Topics
432527 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#226270 - 01/29/06 12:20 AM meaning of kung fu
RyuuJitsu Offline

Loc: every where and no where
i've been reading this in alot of y'alls posts that kung fu
partioners have takin out 3 people at a time, and that is because kung fu is meant to teach the partioner to deal with more then one person at a time. back in the day kung fu master were known to take up to 90 people at a time with no problem.

#226271 - 01/29/06 04:28 AM Re: meaning of kung fu [Re: RyuuJitsu]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Chinese is contextual language. The same word can mean slightly different things, depending on the context in which it is used. In the case of gongfu, the broad translations can mean skill/art/work/effort/labour.

If you look at the Chinese pictograms here [image]http://www.tigernt.com/hz/gb2gif.cgi?chinese=b9a6b7f2&tr_bg=1[/image]
for the first word "gong", it's made up of 2 radicals, the first part meaning work, and the second part meaning strength. So "gong" implies doing work with strength.

The second word "fu" means labourer, e.g. "nong fu" refers to someone who labours in the field.

So "gong fu" on a simplistic level denotes someone who is a skilled labourer. In contextual usage, gongfu can imply a level of skill or ability. When you say someone has "gongfu", it implies that the person has a certain level of skill.

As for someone taking on 90 people at once, his "gongfu" must be of a very high level.

#226272 - 01/29/06 10:49 AM Re: meaning of kung fu [Re: RyuuJitsu]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: kokokokokoko
Quote:

back in the day kung fu master were known to take up to 90 people at a time with no problem.

LOL!

Was that 'Jawbone of an ass-fu'?
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts. Note: The Signature feature is currently not enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

#226273 - 01/29/06 12:52 PM Re: meaning of kung fu [Re: kusojiji]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
90 people! Thats insane. And Id say rather impossible. If your dealing with more than four your about to get beat down badly unless you can bluff the others out by hurting one really badly. 90 people! Come on, why would you even post something like that? Besides being far fetched fantasy its also irresponsible. There are impressionable minds at this site that have access to everything you write. Keep that in mind before some over imaginative 12 year old goes out and challenges thirty or so people and gets dominated because someone here said its possible.

#226274 - 01/29/06 12:53 PM Re: meaning of kung fu [Re: Chen Zen]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

90 people! Thats insane. And Id say rather impossible. If your dealing with more than four your about to get beat down badly unless you can bluff the others out by hurting one really badly. 90 people! Come on, why would you even post something like that? Besides being far fetched fantasy its also irresponsible. There are impressionable minds at this site that have access to everything you write. Keep that in mind before some over imaginative 12 year old goes out and challenges thirty or so people and gets dominated because someone here said its possible.

Very good point.
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts. Note: The Signature feature is currently not enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

#226275 - 01/29/06 02:22 PM Re: meaning of kung fu [Re: RyuuJitsu]
Natron Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
wow...

You can't take on 90 people, period. Maybe if you were in a well fortified position with a machine gun or in a tank or something, but unarmed is just ridiculous. The value you add to this site with posts like this and "iron palm training makes you go blind" is immeasurable. Looking forward to your next post about how to shoot chi balls through a cinder block.

#226276 - 01/29/06 04:04 PM Re: meaning of kung fu [Re: eyrie]
Guy Offline

Loc: Indiana USA
Quote:

Chinese is contextual language. The same word can mean slightly different things, depending on the context in which it is used. In the case of gongfu, the broad translations can mean skill/art/work/effort/labour.

Yes that is also my understanding of gongfu, or kungfu. But now because so many people in the west think of kungfu as Chinese martial arts, it has come to assumed that meaning. Maybe Bruce Lee started it, I donít know.

It is also my understanding that in China wushu is a generic name for martial arts, all Chinese martial arts, and is the word we should be using for it instead of kungfu. But here in the west wushu seems to have come to mean a very classical style of Chinese martial arts that is more orientated towards showmanship then actual fighting.

I donít think these definitions will ever be straighten out.

Guy

#226277 - 01/29/06 04:07 PM Re: meaning of kung fu [Re: Guy]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Quote:

It is also my understanding that in China wushu is a generic name for martial arts, all Chinese martial arts,

Right you are.

#226278 - 01/29/06 09:58 PM Re: meaning of kung fu [Re: Chen Zen]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Quote:

90 people

Well, there was one man that by himself stopped an whole army at a gate in China. His name was Lu bu, he was somewhere around 2 metres [at that time, chinese people weren't very tall]. His father was the "Hong Te" or emperor at that time and he was attacked by Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and the other brother I can't remember his Mandarin name.

Anyway, The emperor, Dong Zhuao, his army was obliterated except his adopted son, Lu Bu was the only one left. Lu Bu said he would let no living man pass under the Hu Lao gate. On that day, Not a single man passed through. An army was stopped by one man, Lu bu. At that time, the army numbered somewhere around 30,000 - 50,000.

I find this one to be really hard to believe but if this is not true, then why didn't the country of Shu win that day and Liu Bei become emperor? Why did Shu write down something like this? I mean, if they said that on that day they got beaten by one man and had to postpone their campaign for another 15 years, due to one man, don't you think the people would lose ALL morale?

The most amazing thing is: All he had was heavy armor, halberd and his horse which was at that time quite a powerful one. And he stopped an army, if it was nowadays, why not just shoot him with a colt. m16?

-Taison out

#226279 - 01/30/06 12:04 AM Re: meaning of kung fu [Re: Taison]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Don't take anything from ancient Chinese history at face value.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga