FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#226179 - 01/31/06 10:34 PM Re: Jr. Black Belts in TKD [Re: KarlHTKDSTUDENT]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
That makes a lot of sense, but me being a black belt myself. I'm not going to fight anyone unless I have no choice. I plan to defend myself and if I cant get away then I suppose I have to stand and fight.

But my first instict is to avoid a violent confrontation, second to defend myself, usually this by walking away and sometimes running away. But if I have to, I gets down with my bad self.

Thanks for your 2 cents karlhtkdstudent
Vinci

#226180 - 02/02/06 04:10 PM Re: Jr. Black Belts in TKD [Re: TeK9]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
I think it's great, he put his time in and deserves it just like anyone else would. Let's get one thing straight though...he needs to know that he is a junior bb and should understand what it means. Again just like an adult it is really the begining to further his MA skills.

For the junior BB na sayers I would like to discuss this topic in more detail since it always seems to come up here and with many of our students parents(These days it seem the only thing they care about is how fast little Johnny will get his BB and if it's not as fast as the school down the street I might leave this dojo and go else where!! ).

In your opinions, what age is suitable for someone to recieve a BB and why? Please no bashing lets keep it civil

#226181 - 02/02/06 04:19 PM Re: Jr. Black Belts in TKD [Re: schanne]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
This is a hard question schanne. In our system, until you are 16 you are a junior black belt. I must also point out that I have seen some junior black belts that are phenominal and I have also seen many adult black belts that don't deserve it. Which is better?

I think there should be a guideline and maybe 16 years old is a good guideline. If some are more deserving at a younger age then take them individually and make that decision. As for adults ... what kind of guidelines can you make? Some did their requirements so do then not deserve it? It is just like a drivers license. They did the requirements to get it but that does not necessarily make them a good driver ... not by far. Some have disabilities or unable to perform some techniques that others can but put their time in, have the heart of a black belt and did their necessary requirements. Do they not deserve it?

I know this is getting off topic but I think they relate to each other. I would hate to hold a phenominal child from getting their black belt when they are better then many adults. Some kids are just that good.

My answer is ... I don't know ... I really don't know.

#226182 - 02/02/06 04:49 PM Re: Jr. Black Belts in TKD [Re: TeK9]
TacoBill Offline

Loc: SoCal
My son, 11 y/o, has a 1st Poom BB. Received it when he was 7 or 8. Early on, he thought it was 'cool' to have a BB. That was until he started practicing (concurrently) Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. He quickly learned that belt colors meant very little when it came down to fighting. Looking back, even he admits that he should'nt have received his BB at such an early age.

Basically in TKD, it boils down to this, like it or not; you pay $$$, you'll move up in the ranks.
In GJJ, you move up when you're ready.

#226183 - 02/03/06 10:29 PM Re: Jr. Black Belts in TKD [Re: Dereck]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
The whole subject of kids with BB is overwhelming anymore, between the parent pressure and the forum I'm still totally confused but still believe that it's all relative. To me it's just a belt and I'm not going to loose sleep over the subject. As they progress over the years and become teenagers I will take it more serious if they are still training. Right now it a great goal for them to achieve. It's something they can be proud of, there just kids and it's only karate to them at this point in their life. As adults we take Karate-do much more serious, lets let the kids be kids, it's only another rank.

#226184 - 02/04/06 01:30 AM Re: Jr. Black Belts in TKD [Re: schanne]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
In the end schanne ... you are correct. It doesn't affect the way I train or others so what is the big deal? We can't stop it and no matter how much people gripe, it will continue on as long as people are willing to buy into it. It is like every new piece of exercise equipment or programs that come out and people buy them. Some people genuinely benefit from them and they seek more ... and then you have others it doesn't because they don't put their heart into it as they were looking for a quick fix and now it sits in a corner with cloths draped on it. Sure they can brag they have one all they want ... but there is no benefit to it ... just like a lot of black belts (juniors and adults). But if there are some that it worked for ... then it makes it all worth it.

#226185 - 02/04/06 05:34 PM Re: Jr. Black Belts in TKD [Re: TacoBill]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Taco, sorry but it depends which TKD org you are with as to how you move up. I've been on some very tough gradings where kids were treated no differently.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#226186 - 02/04/06 07:33 PM Re: Jr. Black Belts in TKD [Re: TeK9]
RockHard Huy Offline

Quote:

my instructor told me he begun his training at age of 2. He had older an brother and sister training at the school. And he used to watch them, and

Your instructor is seven years old? You've got some serious humility, gj

Edited by RockHard Huy (02/04/06 07:34 PM)

#226187 - 02/05/06 04:22 AM Re: Jr. Black Belts in TKD [Re: TeK9]
elly12 Offline

Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Tek I'd have to say that I have seen some schools promoting young children on what appears to be contract training or worse. It is the same with adults as well. I was in Korea for some time and one of the instructors I'd encountered commented on the superb skill of a 10 year, but said "yet, his youth continues to hinder him". I think it's wonderful to see children excel in the martial arts, but remember they are still children. There is more to a BB than know moves

#226188 - 02/05/06 10:49 AM Re: Jr. Black Belts in TKD [Re: elly12]
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
As much as I am insulted by having 13, 14, 15 year old blackbelts around. Let's for discussion purposes call them "Junior" blackbelts. How insulted they must be to be catagorized in the same manner as a 7 year old "Junior" blackbelt. Maybe under 8's sould be called "PeeWee" blackbelts.
Not wanting upset the new "PeeWee" blackbelts, maybe the under 5's should be "Tiny Tot" blackbelts.

Is it only me that finds this whole issue pointless.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga