FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 9
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
cxt 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#226044 - 01/27/06 08:24 PM Ki Aikido
Alejandro Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Las Cruces, NM USA
Hello all!

There is an Aikido club at my University, practicing "Ki Aikido", or Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido Kai, founded by Tohei Sensei, a student of Ueshiba. I would appreciate any info on Tohei and his organization, how it compares to other Aikido, so on. Thanks!

#226045 - 01/27/06 09:07 PM Re: Ki Aikido [Re: Alejandro]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
It's all aikido.

Having said that, I don't think Tohei really understood aikido at all. If he did, he wouldn't have started a splinter group purporting to develop ki separately to the practice of aikido. But since he was a 10th dan, I'm not going to argue with him.

#226046 - 01/28/06 07:51 PM Re: Ki Aikido [Re: Alejandro]
larryf Offline

This was discussed in a previous post, look at the next page, Difference between Ki Aikido and Aikido.

Tohei was the Chief Instructor for O-Sensei when he passed away. He had certain ideas about how Aikido should be taught and the importance of Ki, and using in Aikido. He did a lot to 'demystify' Ki and tries to teach it from your first day of class.
It is a legitimate style of Aikido - you just need to see if the local instructor and his teachings appeal to you.

#226047 - 01/28/06 08:34 PM Re: Ki Aikido [Re: larryf]
Alejandro Offline
Enthusiast

Thank you both for the replies! I plan to join in on next Wednesday's class; I'll post my thoughts afterward.

#226048 - 01/30/06 06:09 PM Re: Ki Aikido [Re: eyrie]
LastGURU Offline
The one who knows

Loc: Riga, Latvia
Quote:

It's all aikido.

Having said that, I don't think Tohei really understood aikido at all. If he did, he wouldn't have started a splinter group purporting to develop ki separately to the practice of aikido. But since he was a 10th dan, I'm not going to argue with him.

well, well, well, i think quite opposite: that Tohei-sensei understood aikido better than anyone else, except for O-Sensei, or otherwise he would not be selected as the first and the only one to receive the 10th dan directly from O-Sensei. but on the topic of understanding, i should say that even O-Sensei always said that he was only at the beginning of the Way, that even he did not fully understand aikido, and as nobody is claiming to be greater then O-Sensei, nobody can claim to understand aikido more than just a little bit, both of us included

(just wanted to popup and say that I am alive, sorry that I have disappeared for a few weeks)

#226049 - 01/31/06 11:56 AM Re: Ki Aikido [Re: Alejandro]
Alejandro Offline
Enthusiast

I attended the Aikido class last night; I thoroughly enjoyed it! It was taught by a young-ish man and woman, out of Scottsdale (Arizona Ki Society under Kirk Fowler). We started out with some basic warm up techniques, then spent the remainder of the class on the first Taigi, (each technique in isolation) which included some Kokyu Nage and Shihonage. I feel that my experience in Karate (which included much ukemi, nage, kansetsu, and other grappling) is going to aid me in Aikido training, although it is still very new. In karate, one should always move from the hara and place focus in the tanden, but one night of Aikido taught me a lot more about this. It makes sense to me to view Aikido training as a means to develop a better mind-body connection, and ki sensitivity. It is budo in the purest sense. I suppose it's martial merit depends on the teacher, but this doesn't really concern me at this point, my karate training gives me the necessary skills for self-preservation.

#226050 - 01/31/06 03:10 PM Re: Ki Aikido [Re: Alejandro]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

...It makes sense to me to view Aikido training as a means to develop a better mind-body connection, and ki sensitivity. It is budo in the purest sense....

Alejandro, I'm glad you enjoyed your first class. I'm also glad you had this insight on your first class. If only more people could see it this way too.

Hi LastGuru! Good to see that you're still alive.

Tohei, by his own admission, did not understand what O'sensei was going on about. Rather, he sought assistance from his sempai, Tempu Nakamura, who taught him the ki stuff by way of yoga. I guess Tempu made certain connections for Tohei. Maybe it's easier to see things in the art, looking in from the outside? Maybe it's harder to see things, without having something else to compare with, just as Alejandro has discovered?

But I think, ki development is an integral part of aikido and not a separate thing, albeit a slow (and presumably safer) way to develop ki. I could be wrong.

#226051 - 01/31/06 05:02 PM Re: Ki Aikido [Re: eyrie]
Joe Jutsu Offline
Enthusiast

I had the pleasure of attending a seminar about two months ago from one of Tohei's uchi deshi. He talked about, well, alot of things, but what it means to attain certain Ki Aikido ranks, and what is expected of you. Fascinating stuff. Without getting too far off topic, sensei talked about having a profound gratitude for your teachers. Tohei sensei definitely learned a ton from Ueshiba sensei, but never found alot of meaning for himself in Ueshiba's explanations, about being one's body being filled with the divine kami and the like. He started looking more and more at what O Sensei did, and less of what he said. It became obvious to Tohei that O Sensei had great ki-but it was Tempu Nakamura sensei who helped to bridge that gap for Tohei. After studying at the Tempu-kai, Tohei reevaluated aikido arts in terms of ki, to what I guess could be said as profound results.

So anyway, I would argue that Nakamura sensei has had as much an impact on Ki Aikido as O Sensei. In order to hold a rank in Aikido in Ki Society, you have to have a ki ranking. Which sucks for me because I'm up for a ki test here in a couple of months! I much prefer the aikido tests .

But I've had the opportunity to work with Fowler sensei on a few breif occasions, and found him to be insightful and very helpful. I've also met some pretty cool people from Arizona Ki Society, I think from the Pheonix area but I can't really remember. But good luck with the Ki Aikido classes. Hit me up and I'll send you the link to the University Ki Aikido club that I recently graduated from. Fun stuff!

Joe

#226052 - 01/31/06 05:25 PM Re: Ki Aikido [Re: Joe Jutsu]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Hi Joe,

See, this is what I don't get. Why would ki need to be developed and ranked separately? Surely, it is part and parcel of ai-ki-do? i.e. ki is not a separate entity from the "structure" in which aiki techniques are applied, well not unless you're doing jujitsu techniques in an aikido forum?

So, what's involved in a "ki" test?

#226053 - 01/31/06 06:55 PM Re: Ki Aikido [Re: eyrie]
LastGURU Offline
The one who knows

Loc: Riga, Latvia
same not getting it here. having ki separated from ai-ki-do is like having bread seprated thom a toast. and the word combination "ki aikido" sounds for me like "toast with bread". if you do aikido, you do both the ai and the ki at the same time, and both of them combine in budo.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga