FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#225433 - 01/25/06 02:21 PM 'kick with the legs.....but don't kick the legs'
charlie Offline

Loc: woking, surrey,uk
I have a question which has been on my mind for some while, maybe some of you can give your opinion.

I am currently studying ITF Tae Kwon Do, I have attained yellow belt green tag so far -

Why are you not allowed to attack the legs in sparring?

I find this strange with all the leg work within TKD why it is not allowed and kicks should be waist height or above.

in many martial arts leg attacks are allowed - thai boxing, karate, kick boxing, savate even in the aiki jujutsu I study - surely this is good for modern self defence.

don't get me wrong I love the high kicks, always have but why no low kicks in ITF? is it the same in WTF?

Thanks, Charlie.

#225434 - 01/25/06 03:28 PM Re: 'kick with the legs.....but don't kick the legs' [Re: charlie]
EarlWeiss Offline

ITF TKD or more properly the Chang Hun system does indeed have low kicks. They will appear in BB patterns. Other kicks can certainly be done below the belt. As for the reason no kicks below the belt, there can be many. Sparring rules are decided by the governing bodies. Some reasons for not allowing low kicks in competition is to encourage high kicks which are more difficult, differentiate the competition from other arts or some generic competitions, and a safety factor .

#225435 - 01/25/06 03:32 PM Re: 'kick with the legs.....but don't kick the legs' [Re: charlie]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
Ahhh, because your in TKD that's why. When I was in Tang Soo Do it was also looked down upon to leg kick. Anything below the gut was taboo. A matter of fact if we did hit someone in the thigh or shin you would stop and bow, that's the way you spar now...right? Very Korean. After I switched to the MMA school where I'm at now it was a very difficult transition not to show my respect by bowing if contact was made and also getting used to my thigh and shins being rocked. In the Korean dojang we also never clinched, grappled and used our knees like we do now. To be perfectly honest with you I don't accually know why they don't do leg kick like the other styles you mentioned. It could be the military thought to just give one powerful kick to maim the enemy. Maybe they are going for the direct approach vs. trying to break an opponent down by crippling their legs. Remember too,your in a sport, not fighting for your life. My advice....learn all the ways

#225436 - 01/25/06 04:31 PM Re: 'kick with the legs.....but don't kick the legs' [Re: charlie]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Low kicks actually start earlier, with Jhoon Gun (if I'm not mistaken, a blue belt pattern).

Basically, leg kicks are very dangerous and, especially if you do it powerfully, are likely to bugger your opponents knees. That's why they aren't used in free-sparring. However, as Earl says, they do play a role. You'll also use them in set-sparring and SD drills.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#225437 - 01/25/06 05:10 PM Re: 'kick with the legs.....but don't kick the leg [Re: trevek]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

Low kicks actually start earlier, with Jhoon Gun (if I'm not mistaken, a blue belt pattern).

I always thought that the front kicks in Do-san, Won-hyo and Yul-gok were meant to be low.

Anyway, my thoughts on low kicking in ITF TKD are thus: In free sparring, there is a safety factor in kicking low. I can remember when another chap side-kicked me in my knee- and it hurt like hell! Apart from that, I could have been seriously injured.

Other styles that allow leg kicks, only ever allow angular kicks to the legs, and ban kicks to the knees. I feel that the side-kick plays such a major role in TKD, that not allowing it to be used below the belt, would unbalance the art.

Step sparring, SD and patterns are all good ways of practicing low kicking in a safe environment. I especially like using low kicks in one-step. I find that most risky techniques are taken out of free-sparring, for instance gloves stop use of using different striking tools to softer points on the body, but in one-step sparring, you will be able to practice any technique in the TKD arsenal to your heart's content.

#225438 - 01/25/06 10:55 PM Re: 'kick with the legs.....but don't kick the leg [Re: Supremor]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

It is for safety purposes in sparring (WTF as well). But they most certainly are practiced in the patterns of both Chang Hon & Kukki(Koryo has 2 side kicks at the beginning,one to the knee the other to the midsection)as well as the self defense techniques (the perineal nerve is commomly a target).

VDJ

#225439 - 01/25/06 11:35 PM Re: 'kick with the legs.....but don't kick the legs' [Re: charlie]
traz Offline

Loc: Canada
the safety reason is kind of moot, seeing as other arts train leg kicks regularly and its not a huge issue.

#225440 - 01/26/06 01:58 AM Re: 'kick with the legs.....but don't kick the legs' [Re: traz]
Sushi Offline

Loc: Germany
Quote:

the safety reason is kind of moot, seeing as other arts train leg kicks regularly and its not a huge issue.

and which one of all the others is Olympic??

#225441 - 01/26/06 08:55 AM Re: 'kick with the legs.....but don't kick the legs' [Re: Sushi]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Quote:

and which one of all the others is Olympic??

Not Chang Hon TKD.

As for the safety reasons being moot, some other arts forbid punches to the face... even Kyokoshin Karate.

Chang Hon generally practises semi contact sparring, so there's another reason (although I've always wondered why sweeps weren't allowed).

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#225442 - 01/26/06 09:47 AM Re: 'kick with the legs.....but don't kick the legs' [Re: charlie]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
Safety reasons, I don't buy it. As rough as training used to be I don't think we are on the same buss here and still don't believe that's the reason why the Korean styles don't "usually" kick below the waist. Most of the low kicks in MMA style fighting are not to the knees or jointed areas, they are directed to the thigh or meated calf way below the knee. (During training and sparring) Yes your thigh gets real sore but so does your jaw if your hit with a hook kick.

Personally I think it has more to do with their kicking abilities, to kick high, sort of a pride thing. They might feel that it is beneath them to kick low??? All this handed down post WW11......i've heard of weirder things in MA

Edited by schanne (01/26/06 09:56 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga