FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Troy7785, wakita, swisztony, Tonybb, shelly1993
22920 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 1
Marcus Charles 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22920 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#225319 - 03/01/06 12:08 PM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: Chen Zen]
Trejo539 Offline

Quote:

Fear isnt a bad thing. All of us experience fear at least once if not all the time like yourself when faced with confrontation. However, this can be used to your advantage, by using it to control your adrenal dump. One way to do this, is to think of a previous fight you may have had. One that was a battle. One that you were afraid to fight but still came out victorious. Now think about that fight. Think about every detail until the image is so vivid that you could smell your opponents sweat and breathe. You will feel the onset of an incredible energy. Its your adrenaline and animal instinct. Use it. It will serve you well.

this is a use full strategy and it works.u feel like an animal or something.it makes u deadly serious and dangerous.

#225320 - 03/02/06 09:33 PM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: Trejo539]
Diabolic Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Coming in late to this conversation =)

I think that anytime you practice/train, do so with people bigger and more advanced then you. You learn more then training w/ people at your own level, and you get used to that fear and intimidation alot faster if you do so. Always practice with people better then you. Its like golf or anything in life, when you have a challenge you rise to the occasion.

Everyone is different but like a few people have said, confidence in king. If you are good, and know you are good due to practice etc. you wont have fear and adrenaline is the ultimate fear killer in these situations. Pump yourself up whichever way works for you. (I like to jump around and hit my opposing shoulders with the opposing hands)

If you have fear due to a persons size, strength etc, then it becomes more like a game of chess. You just get use to this the more situations you get in.
I always have some amount of fear, fear keeps you in check.

#225321 - 03/03/06 11:46 AM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: Diabolic]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
I dont know if this has been posted already but, honestly you just have to train like mad, and practice practice practice. Do TONS of full contact or at least semi contact sparring with guys of all sizes and skill levels, train train train, it's all a matter of confidence and the more HARD and realistic training you do the more confident you will be, and you will not be as afraid, you have to get to the place where you dont even think about, you just get out there and do it, without thinking, you cant be distracted by thoughts of what the outcome of the fight will be, you just train hard, and fight hard, and remember, you fight like you train.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#225322 - 01/11/07 10:48 PM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: Stormdragon]
TKDBB Offline

I know this feeling. At school today some little kid maybe 110 pounds started punching me. I wasnt expecting it at all and had an adrenal dump. Im a big guy too 5'8" 175 pounds and bench about 240. I froze but luckily he couldnt hurt me if he tried. But Ive been in other fights where I was fine. I realize it comes down to expecting it. Just take a deep breath and the adrenaline will take over.

#225323 - 01/12/07 01:23 AM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: TKDBB]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
The key is to turn your fear into action. Notice that when a rock is thrown at you, you dodge. Because of fear of being hit. A rock is no different than an opponents fist. Simply react. Instead of "dodge" , which is a good option, you also want "cover" or attack" to be this reaction as well. Go Practice.

#225324 - 01/12/07 01:54 AM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: Chen Zen]
Aeges Offline

If you fear the unknown, then you have not thought enough about what the possibilities are. This works for me with big fears, perhaps it will work for you.

Sit down and think about the fear.

”I am scared to get in a fight”
Ask your self why
”Because I don’t want to get hurt”
Why
”Because I don’t like pain”
Why
”Because I don’t want to die”
Why are you scared to die?

Pretty much everything boils down to ending up asking your self why you don’t want to die. Its perfectly natural, every cells primary goal is to reproduce and go on living. If you come to terms with death, and understand that there is no way you can avoid it forever, and it no longer becomes something to dread, a lot of things go out the window.

For this specific example, having a solid reason why you are fighting, and in fact having a solid reason for anything in life, helps to eliminate fear. Now this can be hard to apply sometimes, because in most arranged fights (I.e not pissing someone off in a bar and getting in to a fight), your reasons are not so grand. You may just do it to get better.

Think about it thought. If your home was invaded by a person who had the intent on killing your family, and you were the only person who stood in the way. Would you still be scared to fight them? The answer rests entirely on how willing you are to put your life on the line for your family. My self, if I had to fight off someone while my family went to run away, I would not be scared, because I would gladly suffer the pain of death while they get away.

So to sum up; Find out what it is you are really scared about, and try to come to terms with it, and then try to find out exactly what it is your fighting for.

or I could just be rambling. You decide.

#225325 - 02/06/07 06:09 PM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: eyrie]
Z498 Offline

Well what I do personally is one of these 2 things.

Before we

I usually think of all the people that annoyed the [censored] out of me once and how much I wanted to kick their butts and think of them also as weak ponys. That usally works.

2nd thing if that dosen't work remember all the great accomplishments I have amde and remember...wtf? Why am I so worried I know tae kwon do here and I could easily take this dude down I won't let him intimidate me.

Final outcome using one of these TRUST ME-

Edited by Z498 (02/06/07 06:11 PM)

#225326 - 02/12/07 02:41 AM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: Leo_E_49]
sunchips Offline

Quote:

If you aren't afraid, there is probably something wrong.

if so, something is wrong with me, when i fight, there is no such thing as pain and fear, (i am not pshyco ;P) but instead my desire to take the guy down, for me the thing i have to overcome is this desire.

I dont know what your style is, but coming from a full contact style, pain is insignificant, and like that guy said about imagining death, to me death becomes insignificant, i lived a good life and am going to a better place. So with fear, turn that energy into a possitive force, fight or flight, if you run, run faster, if you fight, fight harder.

Here is an illustration based on my life: riding a bike really fast, there is a pole right infront of you, you stare at the pole (fear) and you will hit it, look away (cancel the fear) and you wont hit it, concentrate on other things than your fear and you will be fine.

#225327 - 02/12/07 03:00 AM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: deathrune]
xuzen_628 Offline
Unknown MA champion

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

I've got a problem, no matter how big or small my opponent normally is I always fear that I may get badly beaten up or if I even attempted to attack him he would retaliate and it would end up in him winning. How do you cancel out this fear before/during a fight? It really affect my ability to think calmly and rationally. Thanks.

Fear is natural. The only way to conquer fear is to actually fight more. The only way to safely participate in a fight is go for tournament/Randori/Sparring whatever you call it.

X wf.

#225328 - 02/13/07 09:05 AM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: xuzen_628]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

The only way to conquer fear is to actually fight more.

...like the way to over come the fear of fire is to get burned a few times?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga