FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
simonajones111 1
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#225309 - 02/01/06 11:18 PM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: Cord]
RockHard Huy Offline

lol, nice edit. Yeah Cord, we are all well aware of you B.A. status.

Anyways.. everything in my post was just supported by your post.:

Quote:

full of bullet time counters and redirections as you make your aggressor dance like a puppet on a string just doesnt happen,

Remember, I did state that it was JUST an ideal, not actuallity.

Quote:

key to this is to get familiar with working through adrenaline, not being stunned by it

React how you've trained, that's why you do it(that is if you train with your gaurd up, etc.).

So yeah.. A lot of fights in real life happen over a misunderstandings too( as I am sure you are aware of).

#225310 - 02/02/06 08:52 AM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: RockHard Huy]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

lol, nice edit. Yeah Cord, we are all well aware of you B.A. status.

I have never worked for British Airways, and hold no rank or status within the company- sorry, cant slip you a few free airmiles, you've been misinformed.

Quote:

Anyways.. everything in my post was just supported by your post.:

Quote:

full of bullet time counters and redirections as you make your aggressor dance like a puppet on a string just doesnt happen,

Remember, I did state that it was JUST an ideal, not actuallity.

You stated this as fact in your first post. You presented it as an absolute. It wasnt until you were pulled up on it that you backtracked and either clarified, or changed, your meaning.

Quote:

Quote:

key to this is to get familiar with working through adrenaline, not being stunned by it

React how you've trained, that's why you do it(that is if you train with your gaurd up, etc.)

Again, this is post-disagreement. Your initial response deals with an instinctive philosophical interpretation of the nature of the fear the situation represents. This simply doesnt happen. The 'daily fear' of which you expound upon is in fact defined medicaly as stress. The reason that long term stress is detrimental to health is because the brain and body do not differentiate between long term worry and immediate danger- they both trigger fight or flight, but in stress it is triggered long term, hence increase in blood pressure, heart rate, difficulty sleeping, emotional swings etc. Running on heightened 'survival' physiology for long periods with no respite is what damages the body in this situation. Fear is Fear.

Quote:

So yeah.. A lot of fights in real life happen over a misunderstandings too( as I am sure you are aware of).

Again, your meaning is unclear in this. Are you saying that ours is a simple misunderstanding and that you wish to leave it and return to a more agreeable dialogue, or are you inferring that had this conversation had taken place face to face, that escalation would have occurred?

Hope its the former, as the latter would make you sound very silly.

Cord.

Edited by Cord (02/02/06 09:02 AM)

#225311 - 02/02/06 12:27 PM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: Cord]
DeathComesRippin Offline

Loc: Yuma, Arizona. In the US of c...
I don't think the whole Zen no-mind theory should be reduced to some silly mystical matrix like idea. It just seems like it because ancient masters of the east liked to attach alot of esoteric meaning to something very practical and real. Not everyone is going to be a Bruce Lee or a Neo, but the stress that occurs in a confronation can be so strong that anything you do to help control it is going to help tons. The focus and disclipine you experience in meditation, if you work on it, can translate into all aspects of your life, even combat. If you are in a confrontation and are focused, then your oppenent attacks, and your body reacts on its own, that is having no mind in martial arts. Sure you can meditate and all that, but alot of it just comes from constant training and sparring. In my experience, regulating the breath helps alot, both long term and short term. It reduces alot of stress. Also, it helps to be confident that you will hurt your opponent no matter what, because you have trained to do so. But people experience fear on different levels and you never know when you are going to be in the most dangerious situation of your life, so the best bet is to just keep training till your techniques become instinct, and you do everything automatically. I hope this helps the original poster, and sorry if i seemed long winded.

#225312 - 02/02/06 01:11 PM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: DeathComesRippin]
pj_br549 Offline

Well this idea of "no-mind" is actually right. When a situation happens you react as to how you train.. Hence Train like you fight, fight like you train. Now im in the military and when the S*** hits the fan you fall right back on that training,, you not thinking about am i going to get hurt, or die,, its running down that list in your head of what your job is. Also, if you have enough time to think about getting hurt in fight, you probably have enough time to back out of the fight. If there is one thing i can say, egos are expensive, better to leave them at home.

#225313 - 02/02/06 01:29 PM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: pj_br549]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Train like you fight, fight like you train.

Well put..:) Enough said...

#225314 - 02/03/06 12:37 PM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: JasonM]
Eveal Offline
the freshmaker

Try to relax. Its easier said than done, I know. Once the fight takes place and you get to comfortable ground the butterflys go out the door and adrenalin takes over. Thats when you don't have enough time to fear only time to react. When in a real fight, do as you were trained. Don't try to change it because the eviornment has changed. Its still just a man standing in front of you "untrained" most of the time so you clearly have an advantage.

#225315 - 02/23/06 11:00 AM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: RockHard Huy]
LiLJb72 Offline

Well, having read most of this and having been in a few fights, as well as jumped out of a few planes i will use this analogy:
When you jump out of a plane for the first time, its windy, its high, its scary, you doubt yourself, your whole body shakes...then you jump and you go through with it and land and are ok (hopefully, army chutes suck)...but then you go back up and do it again....now everytime I've jumped out of a plane (23 to be exact) i still get nervous and scared, cuz this could be the time my chute doesnt open, but it gets easier to do because you know what is coming.

Fighting is the same way...no matter how many times you fight, before it starts you are going to get nervous and scared that you might get seriously hurt, and thats natural you couldn't help that if you tried or had been in a million fights, but once it starts your experience and such will help you in what you know you need to do and what they will more than likely do, and that will help put your mind at ease a little bit....just IMO...

(i compared these two cuz they are the most alike adrenaline wise that i have encountered)

#225316 - 02/24/06 02:23 AM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: LiLJb72]
Mr_Heretik Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bronx NY, USA
Well I've actually had a knife to my throat, I gave up my stuff right away and felt unphased. Then it settled in when I got home and cried for an hour(was 13, but I'm pretty sure if it happened for the first time now, I'd still cry).

The feeling sucks, and I think its much different than when you're in a fight. I just try to make myself feel as if I'm in a sparring match, and like the incident before, what happens doesn't settle in until much later, when you replay the incident 100 times in your head. I actually like the uneasiness, since the nervousness seems to be a painkiller(first time playing paintball, didn't feel a thing until i saw my purple tan).

P.S. What happens, happens. This is what I'm basically thinking 24/7 and it helps out alot. Sry if the post is rather unorganized and sloppy.

#225317 - 02/24/06 10:19 AM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: deathrune]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
You have a fear of drowning only if you can't swim.

Fear of failing an exam. only if you have not studied well.

Fear of losing in a fight only if you have not trained well.

Look at the professional fighters. They may lose the fight, but they have no fear of getting into the ring, because they know they have trained well for it.

#225318 - 03/01/06 12:02 PM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: eyrie]
Trejo539 Offline

ok........you know how to scare your self using imagination, but how can you use imagination to remain calm in a streetfight?
what can be a useful breathing technique?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga