FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
harlan 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
William_Bent 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#225299 - 01/27/06 10:00 PM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: deathrune]
h2whoa Offline

Loc: Fiji
Quote:

I've got a problem, no matter how big or small my opponent normally is I always fear that I may get badly beaten up or if I even attempted to attack him he would retaliate and it would end up in him winning. How do you cancel out this fear before/during a fight? It really affect my ability to think calmly and rationally. Thanks.

In most fights..both combatants get hurt...embrace that if you engage you will get hit...body conditioning comes in here...training...proper mindset...battles or fights are not about winning or loosing...it is about survival, just breathe and try to survive...first opportunity run!

But the easiest way to not fear when you get into fights...is to not get into fights!
*bows respectfully*

#225300 - 01/28/06 09:08 AM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: h2whoa]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Check out the signature

Also I posted a response here to a similar subject: http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15818910/an/0/page/0#15818910

Have a read.

Edited by Prizewriter (01/28/06 09:11 AM)

#225301 - 01/29/06 12:31 PM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: Prizewriter]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Fear isnt a bad thing. All of us experience fear at least once if not all the time like yourself when faced with confrontation. However, this can be used to your advantage, by using it to control your adrenal dump. One way to do this, is to think of a previous fight you may have had. One that was a battle. One that you were afraid to fight but still came out victorious. Now think about that fight. Think about every detail until the image is so vivid that you could smell your opponents sweat and breathe. You will feel the onset of an incredible energy. Its your adrenaline and animal instinct. Use it. It will serve you well.

#225302 - 01/30/06 11:56 PM How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: Chen Zen]
RockHard Huy Offline

Fear has no room within the context of fighting. It is to be left within the portal binding peace and immanent violence, revealing a clear mind, free of emotional obstructions.
The fear that I experience during fights is very different from that apparent in everyday life. It takes the form a friend rather than that of a crippling enemy... IMO

#225303 - 01/31/06 06:15 AM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: Chen Zen]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Quote:

Fear isnt a bad thing. All of us experience fear at least once if not all the time like yourself when faced with confrontation. However, this can be used to your advantage, by using it to control your adrenal dump. One way to do this, is to think of a previous fight you may have had. One that was a battle. One that you were afraid to fight but still came out victorious. Now think about that fight. Think about every detail until the image is so vivid that you could smell your opponents sweat and breathe. You will feel the onset of an incredible energy. Its your adrenaline and animal instinct. Use it. It will serve you well.

I should rephrase my earlier post... it's not fear that's the whole problem. The real problem is the stress induced by fear. When you are under stress, your body doesn't tend to perform as well. Not only do you have to deal with the adrenal dump, but other side effects, such as tunnel vision, loss of fine motor control skills, lack of depth perception, etc. etc.

Controlling the adrenal dump is important. Using your breathing pace to regulate the amount of adrenaline in your system, so as to consequently reduce the level of stress on your system, is really the key. Adrenaline is good for short bursts of strength, the downside of too much, is that you fatigue faster, due to increased heart rate and respiratory distress.

#225304 - 01/31/06 08:54 AM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: RockHard Huy]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Fear has no room within the context of fighting. It is to be left within the portal binding peace and immanent violence, revealing a clear mind, free of emotional obstructions.

Sorry? Truly spoken by someone who has never been in a real physical confrontation. Go watch some more samurai movies manga man.

Quote:

The fear that I experience during fights is very different from that apparent in everyday life.

So you spend a lot of time finding fear in everyday mundane situations? Thats called paranoia, or phobia, or both.

Fear is fear, you either learn coping mechanisms through familiarity through exposure to it and work through it, or you freeze up and get overwhelmed by the adrenaline surge, but the emotional trigger- the 'fear' does not change in its qualities of effect.

#225305 - 01/31/06 05:12 PM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: Cord]
RockHard Huy Offline

Quote:

Sorry? Truly spoken by someone who has never been in a real physical confrontation. Go watch some more samurai movies manga man.

Unbased assumptions, zzz. I'll let you continue your fantasies.

Quote:

Fear is fear, you either learn coping mechanisms through familiarity through exposure to it and work through it,

The meaning of the word changes with its context. By the fear felt everyday, I was referring to the long, drawn out fear when encountering the things such as the unknown(What will I do with my life?). Its less mundane counterpart, that found in violence (in my experience) occurs instantaneously and in turn forces an immediate response from yourself, hence it being a friend. What you choose to do in that instant is defined by your training.
I have been in confrontations without evoking fear within myself, and have found it bad. In general, without fear, I am too calm and calculating, over analyzing situations, and ultimately failing to act.

The first half of my previous post was ment more as a personal ideal; the second, my reality.

p.s. I am being a presumptuous jerk

Edited by BrianS (02/01/06 12:41 AM)

#225306 - 01/31/06 06:29 PM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: deathrune]
DullBlade42 Offline
Uber-Cool Shindig Host

Loc: Long York, New Island
Breathing helps. Having no mind. Total control of yourself first, then you can control the opponent. Practice breathing every night helps a lot.

Well, if it accounts for anything, you're going to have a lot more fear in you the first time you bungee jump then your 40th time. The unknown tends to cause fear. Stress. Distraction. Division.

It's important to be where you are. Don't think about what's going to happen. Just do. Diffuse the - "problem" is a bit too negative - ... diffuse the disturbance. The temporary, unwanted situation. That's all it is.

Be sure to train the mental and emotional part of fights as well as physical. The way I see it is if focus/control isn't there, your physical abilities aren't as sharp as wanted or needed.

A strong block isn't in hand with thoughts of family problems, money issues, and work.

#225307 - 02/01/06 12:40 AM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: DullBlade42]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

Having no mind.

I'll vouch for Cord on this one.

#225308 - 02/01/06 02:23 AM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: BrianS]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Thanks Brian, erm I think.

Look guys, this zen master stuff all sounds brilliant, it realy does, and i am sure that for a miniscule amount of people it works like a charm. For the vast majority in an unfortunate enough situation to be faced with actual physical violence, getting in calm mental place where the world is full of bullet time counters and redirections as you make your aggressor dance like a puppet on a string just doesnt happen, no matter how much breathing you do.
You either get stuck in or get laid out.Period. The key to this is to get familiar with working through adrenaline, not being stunned by it. There is nothing esoteric about this, it just comes with practice and painfull experience.
If in the blurr of action you manage to keep your guard up, your chin down, and maintain a bit of balance, you will stand a much better chance of walking away with your pride and dashing good looks in tact

Rockhardhuy, despite Brian's marvellous edit, I feel compelled to answer your post. My presumption was only ever equal to your pretention. I worked the door for 10 years, and call things as I see them. If you want to serve up a plate of dog crap thats fine, just dont expect me to tell everyone its chocolate pudding.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga