FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 167 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#225289 - 01/25/06 06:42 AM How do you control fear during a fight?
deathrune Offline

Loc: Dunno.
I've got a problem, no matter how big or small my opponent normally is I always fear that I may get badly beaten up or if I even attempted to attack him he would retaliate and it would end up in him winning. How do you cancel out this fear before/during a fight? It really affect my ability to think calmly and rationally. Thanks.

#225290 - 01/25/06 09:07 AM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: deathrune]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
You've certainly got a problem if you regularly get into fights.

#225291 - 01/25/06 10:30 AM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: Leo_E_49]
deathrune Offline

Loc: Dunno.
Nah, happens sometimes. I just wanna be prepared for it. ;\

#225292 - 01/25/06 11:03 AM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: deathrune]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
There is always a chance of losing, no matter who is fighting. Don't fear losing, accept it as a possibility and do all you can to prevent that posibility from happening. All you can do is your best.

I've only been in one fight in my life(8th grade, boy scout camp), so all I'm really giving is ideas.

But I do know one thing, you can't lose a fight if you don't get into one.

#225293 - 01/25/06 11:33 AM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: deathrune]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

I always fear that I may get badly beaten up or if I even attempted to attack him he would retaliate and it would end up in him winning.

Avoid attacking people. Bad life choice.

If you are attacked, then the worst has already happened- you have been struck/hurt so you may as well get busy running/defending yourself. Adrenaline will cancel out sentient fear very quickly in these situations. Just get on with it.

#225294 - 01/26/06 01:21 PM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: deathrune]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Quote:

Nah, happens sometimes. I just wanna be prepared for it. ;\

In that case, fear is natural. You should accept that it's going to happen. Fear is a defensive mechanism and a big part of the "fight or flight" instinct. If you aren't afraid, there is probably something wrong. Fear keeps you on edge and concentrated, it will probably help you survive, rather than hindering you. If you feel like you are afraid and should run like heck because you're outnumbered or because your opponent looks menacing, your gut feeling is probably right.

#225295 - 01/26/06 07:49 PM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: deathrune]
Alex89 Offline

Loc: Montreal,Quebec,Canada
I use to have that problem when looking at guys who were bigger and stronger than me, or shorter and stronger than me. But I came to realize that they are human, right, so they also feel pain. It doesn't matter how big they are. Always keep in mind that they are also scared of you.

#225296 - 01/27/06 06:44 AM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: deathrune]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Consider this:
F alse
E xpectations
A ppearing
R eal

#225297 - 01/27/06 06:33 PM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: eyrie]
Kosh Offline

Loc: Novo mesto, Slovenia
Doesn`t experience reduce the fear somewhat?

#225298 - 01/27/06 08:23 PM Re: How do you control fear during a fight? [Re: Kosh]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Not necessarily. Fear can be triggered by any number of things at anytime. Emotions, physiology, physical or mental stimulus can all trigger a "fright" response. If I zap you a few times with a taser, I can trigger a Pavlovian response by associating the taser with pain. Very soon you will reach the stage where the fear response can be triggered by simply seeing a taser.

Just because you have some experience (broadly speaking), doesn't necessarily mean you can deal with the fear response or control it. Why do the wise old teachers admonish you to control your breathing? Breathing controls the physiological responses that can affect your mental, emotional, and physical state. More importantly, it regulates the amount of adrenaline that is being dumped into your system.

Try this little experiment:
Imagine yourself in a threatening situation, say, someone with a knife at your throat. Or even better, get a friend to do this with you. Get your friend to act threateningly, like he's really going to slit your throat. The more realistic your friend is, the more intense the exercise. Now, intensify and quicken your breathing. Breathe hard and quick. Think to yourself, you are going to die. See yourself lying on the floor, bleeding to death. What does death feel like? Now "feel" the following emotions: scared, can't breathe, lifeless, no strength, can't fight, resignation. Notice what happens to your body - Does it start trembling? Does your breath start to shorten and soon you feel you can't breathe? Does it feel like parts of your body won't cooperate?

That's fear. You've just tricked your mind, body and emotional state into believing that you're going to die.

Now if you understand what triggers your fear, you can go about eliminating the emotional, mental, physical and physiological "ghosts" that trigger the state of fear.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga