FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#224787 - 02/25/06 08:32 AM Re: zhan zhuang [Re: taijidave]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
Dave,

You said...
Quote:

This also means that I start them off on ZZ. The senior students / dan grades etc., pick it up very quickly, and all acknowledge even on the day, they can work out the advantages and possibilities.

What are the advantages and possiblities that they are acknowledging?

Quote:

Awareness etc. you are correct, continuity is all important especially in Taiji forms.

...and Baguazhang and Xingyiquan and other MA's also. Continuity of motion and mind can be a very overwhelming thing when it is impressed upon an opponent.

Quote:

I dont think you should not try to feel anything.

They should feel what their bodies are saying to them when their minds quiet down enough to listen. They should not be looking to feel something that their teacher told them to feel.

Quote:

So if you were going to hit someone ( sorry for violence again) thenyou dont just use body, Chi is where the mind is, in this case your hand, so mind and body together to achieve more power.

I get what you are saying, but I think that there is more to it than just 'putting your mind there'.
Here we go...
There are 3 major components to zz training. Proper structural alignment in the body, relaxation, and clarity of mind.
Proper structure provides an optimum vehicle in which power can be transmited through given the body is relaxed enough so that the powers transmition is not impeded. You must have clarity in the mind so that power knows exactly where it is going.
This is done standing still!! To do this when moving and hitting is a different ball game, especially when your opponent is trying to clean your clock.
I understand how the basics of zz training can be implemented into forms practice and then into fighting and it more than simply putting your mind there.

Quote:

If out of every art I did, I could only pick one, it would be ZZ, the possibilities are only limited by your own imagination.

Then your primary intention of training would be for health, correct?
You would receive all of the health benefits of zz, but the martial side would be lacking. ZZ does not translate to martial ability unless you add the concept of technique to it.

#224788 - 02/27/06 01:29 PM Re: zhan zhuang [Re: Fisherman]
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
Quote:

Isn't the conception vessel/governer circuit the main channel in the body?

Reiki
In your area of the healing arts do you rely on the chakra system or the tradional chinese accupunture meridian system. Or are they the same?
I'd be interested to see the commonalities between chakra's and the meridian system. Do the chakras that govern particular organs correspond to meridian points that govern the same organs?
(Maybe this should be in a different thread? Although it'd be interseting to see how this all ties into zhan zhuang also).

1> yes it is

2> In reiki we work on the chakras AND the meridiens, or at least within the lineage that I come from, we do. Most practioners will use the governer/conception vessel bridge to increase the effectiveness of treatment. We also treat the meridiens with reiki to move ki within them and balance the body.

Basically the chakras cover parts of the body as you already know, but reiki is not limited to treating solely at the chakra, and can be used anywhere there is a problem.

I'd just leave this discussion in this thread for now.

oh and guys can we please leave off using the beating a dead horse graphic for a while, I just lost my best mate [my old horse] on Thursday and it brings back too many unpleasant memories for the moment as I found him laying like that in the paddock. I'd had him for over 16 years so its been like losing a member of my family.

#224789 - 02/27/06 03:47 PM Re: zhan zhuang [Re: Reiki]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
My condolences on the loss of your friend.

#224790 - 02/27/06 04:41 PM Re: zhan zhuang [Re: Fisherman]
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
Thanks, he was a great old boy and it was a real shock to find him like that. I expected to have to make a decision about him in a few years time but the old bugger decided it was his time and went out in grand style doing what he loved best!

I was fortunate to be able to use him for my jousting grading just before Xmas which he really enjoyed. He really liked being part of the action and seemed to get a real buzz out of dismembering cabbages and stabbing sacks, not to forget impaling things with the spears!

I was hoping to use him for some full contact passes shortly to get some practice in my new armour but it wasn't to be and Zen will take over as my main horse now.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga