FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
Marcus Charles 1
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#224759 - 01/24/06 08:53 AM Re: Kote Gaeshi Wrist lock [Re: oldman]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

As far as a disarm goes let me tell you a bit more about my situation. My situation could best be called a threat / assault rether that an attack, not that it wasn't serious. My assailant was stationary in front of me talking smack and saying what he was going to do " I should cut you Muther F#$cker" My back was to the wall. I raised my hands up with my palms out parralell to the height of his hand. He was enjoying what he was doing. he turned his head over his left shoulder to give a cocky nod to a guy in tha group that had gathered behind him watching the situation. When he did that I took him down. It was his stupidity rather than my great knowledge that made my action possible. I did not face a wild slashing premeditated attack. I didn't want to give the wrong impression.

#224760 - 01/24/06 12:25 PM Re: Kote Gaeshi Wrist lock [Re: eyrie]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Quote:

That's interesting Fletch. So you don't see it as a valid or dependable response to a weapon disarm?

There are some other variations from the same entries when (a botched) kote gaeshi can be turned into a kote mawashi (wrist return) or kote oroshi (wrist drop) - depending on the situation.

Do you do the takedown and pins as well from kote gaeshi?

As I said, from a traditional standpoint, I love it. The way we teach weapon couters precludes specific, fine motor wrist manipulation. The move can work. For many people though, the assault happens too fast and too hard. If we have time to think about Kote Gaeshi, we have time to do many other things too.

Just my opinion.

Looking at Kote Mawashi, the straight arm wrist compression, I see that it has been a staple of Law Enforcement for a long time.

Edited by Fletch1 (01/24/06 12:32 PM)

#224761 - 01/25/06 05:36 PM Re: Kote Gaeshi Wrist lock [Re: Fletch1]
azjudoaikijitsu Offline

Loc: Mesa Az
It's one of the 1st moves I learned, very basic, but very effective.

#224762 - 02/21/06 04:17 PM Re: Kote Gaeshi Wrist lock [Re: azjudoaikijitsu]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
I had to look the technique up, but I think it is was one of the things I learned last week. During my first jiujitsu course.
I really like that stuff.

Tomorrow my next class.

#224763 - 02/21/06 09:04 PM Re: Kote Gaeshi Wrist lock [Re: Ives]
ScottO Offline
de riddim master

Loc: Everywhere, Nowhere
Kote-gaeshi is pretty fun to find. It familiarizes you with the human wrist.

#224764 - 02/21/06 09:07 PM Re: Kote Gaeshi Wrist lock [Re: Ives]
gojuwarrior1 Offline
tougher than you

Loc: East Coast, USA
I have known this move for a long time, learned it in my karate class. When i started my mma training, i tried to no avail to get this off, it is effective if i can only get it off. Things are just happening to fast and everything is all slippery in the heat of battle. What is my problem?

#224765 - 02/21/06 09:15 PM Re: Kote Gaeshi Wrist lock [Re: gojuwarrior1]
ScottO Offline
de riddim master

Loc: Everywhere, Nowhere
Quote:

I have known this move for a long time, learned it in my karate class. When i started my mma training, i tried to no avail to get this off, it is effective if i can only get it off. Things are just happening to fast and everything is all slippery in the heat of battle. What is my problem?

To get the full effect of Kote-gaeshi, the energy needs to come back to you. Circular.

When your thumb is on the knuckles, imagine cutting the opponent in half with the hand that applies pain by going on the fingers.

The more you do it, the easier it will become to find and pull off.

Don't fight in practice. Don't practice in fight.

I always bug my friends and brothers. When they're talking or doing something, I try to get into the kote-gaeshi. most of the time it works, lately they've been keeping their guard up.
Pulsing to the face gets the natural reaction of putting hands to the face and energy moving back. So try to play around with different uke's reactions and keep asking questions.
Just some fun, I don't torture them or apply pain if that's what anyone was thinking. They like it.

As a matter of fact, ask THIS question to your instructor next class.

Edited by ScottO (02/21/06 09:22 PM)

#224766 - 02/22/06 12:14 AM Re: Kote Gaeshi Wrist lock [Re: Fletch1]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

Hello all.

The Kote Gaeshi wristlock is one of the first locks I learned in Traditional JJ. For those not familiar, it is the compressing and twisting lock where your thumb(s) is on the back of their hand with your gripping fingers at the base of their wrist.

The lock occurs as you rotate their own wrist up and inward. It becomes a throw when foot work is added as the lock has a way of pulling them out of balance.

Of course, for SD the throw is more of a crumple as without proper ukemi, the uke just gets his wrist broken.

One of the many learned in Taekwondo from our Hapkido training. I also used this successfully in grappling though I'm sure in competitive venues this probably would not be allowed. Certainly taught for self defense and was one of the first learned as well. Did not know the official name of it so thanks.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga