FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Today at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#224616 - 01/23/06 02:00 PM Re: My Girlfriend/dojo tale [Re: JasonM]
Kysogkram Offline

Loc: Denmark
You do make a very good point about the walls

However I'm gonna maintain that the way her behaviour was described, it would to me, clearly indicate a lack of interest and openness.

I'm well aware that you can cross your arms and not be defensive, and there are exceptions to any rule. Eg. you can cross your arms, lean forward and have an interested look on your face. However I can't recall seeing anyone leaning back with crossed arms while they were endlessly excited because of what was being presented to them.

Of course I cannot know for sure what her intention was, but I feel pretty certain that most people who saw her, would be led to the same conclusion as I.

harlan: I guess the topic of the thread is for people to tell stories of their significant other embarassing them at the dojo. However since there doesn't seem to be that many stories we're instead discussing the story I guess

#224617 - 01/23/06 04:10 PM Re: My Girlfriend/dojo tale [Re: Salek]
Dudley32 Offline
master of disaster

Loc: Indiana
I noticed something as I read your Post... The word ex. Could this whole post be some way of getting back at your previous girlfriend some way? Making her sound like a complete idiot by leaning on a wall? Not to mention on a PUBLIC chat site.

I think this whole topic is silly. She obviously did not know the rules, how could she? To go and make a post about it on a public chat room I think is foolish and immature.

Matt

#224618 - 01/23/06 09:13 PM Re: My Girlfriend/dojo tale [Re: Dudley32]
Mu Ryuk Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: California, U.S.A.
Quote:

I noticed something as I read your Post... The word ex. Could this whole post be some way of getting back at your previous girlfriend some way? Making her sound like a complete idiot by leaning on a wall? Not to mention on a PUBLIC chat site.

I think this whole topic is silly. She obviously did not know the rules, how could she? To go and make a post about it on a public chat room I think is foolish and immature.

Matt

Hey, come on now...let's not get personal or turn this into a debate about someone's previous relationships. That's unneccessary and, honestly, a bit rude. You don't even know the guy, do you?

If she was there to watch the class out of personal interest...well, I still think it's okay for her to lean on a wall and/or cross her arms. I'll sit/kneel when my instructor is talking during Escrima, and lean or cross my arms during BJJ. In Tang Soo Do I don't, as it's more traditional, but I'm PART of the class. If she was just there with you...whatever. I've brought my girl along to classes before, she's done homework and even napped on the couch. It's not a big deal, she's not part of the class, she was just with me at the time.

#224619 - 01/24/06 08:52 AM Re: My Girlfriend/dojo tale [Re: Kysogkram]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Kysogrham:

<<Well, its body language really.

That would be an interesting interpretation of ~body language~. I respectfully submit, there are many other equaly viable "interpretations" to such <si> "forbidden" acts of yawning, crossing arms, leaning.... but to each their own I suppose....

<<If you're allowed to spectate a class

Please explain ANY validity of preventing same??? (Your word choice "allowed" alarms me frankly...)

<<If you're spectating a class at my dojo, you're expected to sit properly

Ok, and are visitors given some kind of a sheet? Are signs posted re: what "proper" ~observation behavior~ is supposed to be???

<<yawning will cost you 20 pushups

How sad...

<<as will being late and a host of other things)

I do not mean to ~hijack~ the topic, so I will be gentle here... how do such odd ~punishments~ (IMV) get justified??? Habitually being late, or sufficently late that pushups are the substitute for whatever serves as your normal warmup ritual I suppose I comprehend to a minor degree... (sic. if I must) ! What are some of the other offenses & their consequences? Help me understand the reasoning, the thought process why such militancy has a purpose for participants or in this case spectators?

It is a line of "thinking" which... is obscenely difficult to understand...

J

#224620 - 01/24/06 10:30 AM Re: My Girlfriend/dojo tale [Re: JasonM]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Quote:

Again, in America it is quite custom to lean on something.

All together now!

"Lean on me, when you're not strong... I'll be your strength, I'll help you carry on...."

I think the only time I brought a visitor to class was when my girlfriend came from london. She sat and watched happily. Perhaps the only thing was it turned out she and one other student (who is gay) were discussing how nice my body looked while I was changed.

How could I complain!?

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#224621 - 01/24/06 01:01 PM Re: My Girlfriend/dojo tale [Re: Mu Ryuk]
QuietGal Offline

Loc: Missouri
It has been mentioned about the rules of the dojo...how a person is to sit, listen, whatever. Do these rules apply to just the students or do they include spectators/visitors who are just watching? And is this known to all? Are they posted or clearly spelt out to everyone once they walk through the door?
The arms crossed could be considered to be somewhat hostile. I sit or stand alot with my arms crossed when listening and talking to others, but I don't have any hostile intents while doing so (generally). I think one has to take in to account the look on their face, how they are standing, surroundings, and personal comfort before they should assume that how someone had their arms crossed is being hostile.

#224622 - 01/25/06 11:44 AM Re: My Girlfriend/dojo tale [Re: Salek]
Eveal Offline
the freshmaker

Quote:

So I decided to bring my ex(when she wasnt an ex) to a class... she would just sit in the seats and watch... well she decided to stand, lean against the wall, and cross her arms... MAJOR disrespect towards my sensei... Luckily he thought it was humorous seeing my obvious embarassment, and just asked her to have a seat...

I never brought her back, too distracting... Any one else have similar tales?

Keep personal life out of your karate class if its going to disrupt and hender others from training. Also, your teacher has no right to say anything to someone not on the mat training unless they are causing a problem.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga