FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (AndyLA), 31 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#224462 - 05/18/06 04:01 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: Stormdragon]
SEAL Offline

Well if that's the only place then you're limited. I think your concern is integrating your Krav Maga training, right?

Boxing and BJJ are good. TKD is TKD (I'll be nice). I can't speak for you. First, what is the TKD instruction like? Does the school do any MMA live training? If so, then that is good news. If it's mostly formulaic TKD, where you fight TKD guys using TKD techniques, well, I don't have a solution. As long as it's a healthy balance of the three arts, I think it's fine.

#224463 - 05/18/06 08:17 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: SEAL]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
In the tae Kwon Do, on the side we train some BJJ and boxing, and sometimes a little MMA. It is live when we train these. We also do a lot of training for sparring and pointfighting working on combinations and defenses and things like that and partner training drills, as well as the formulaic stuff, and even that is individualized. Like, past white belt you make up your own ones steps, so mine are all completely combat oriented.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#224464 - 05/18/06 08:38 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: Stormdragon]
SEAL Offline

OK, the main thing is you're not limited one-dimensionally and entertain live training. Integrating techniques into your Krav Maga study is possible b/c of live training and drills that emphasize timing, footwork, and movement. I have my opinions about TKD, but I suppose they're irrelevent at this time. If there's an open mat day, for example, that's a reasonable oppurtunity to drill your Krav Maga.

#224465 - 05/18/06 10:27 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: SEAL]
Dedicated1 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
I think the point he was trying to make, as I read it, was that if your in the class you follow as Instructed. If your in a Krav class you are there to learn and to train in Krav, not to perform your own techniques from another MA. That is just an example, it could apply to any other MA. One reason is that you are paying to learn a particular MA, so open your mind a learn it. If you know of a better way then that's fine, you can use that outside of the classroom. The second reason is, if your not following the direction from the Instructor, you are going to confuse the other students around you. The third reason is that it is direspectful to the Instructor. It's like saying, " I don't like doing it that way, I want to do it my own way!" You're not there to do it your way, if you want to do it your way, open your dojo or train at home. This is just a general reply for all. There are hundreds of ways to do everything, it's not a matter of wrong or right. Cross training is great for everyone. The important thing is to combine them on your own time.

#224466 - 05/19/06 12:23 AM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: Dedicated1]
SEAL Offline

I understand what you're saying. I have thought about it and I agree with you, but to a point. As a fighter, you only need a limited set of moves, but they must be instinctive such that you are comfortable with said moves to a T. Let's say you adapt a technique from one MA, practicing it 1000s of times in drills and adding it to your live training. Then you take another MA and the instructor wants you to do the same technique but a little differently, then what is your solution? You keep what is useful, and discard the rest, as Bruce Lee might say, right? In this case, that means you choose to adapt the new technique (which will probably take longer than the current one) and discard the old one or vice-versa. It makes no sense to have two of what is essentially the same. It's a waste of time. Furthermore, it's difficult (but possible I pre-suppose) to have two similar techniques coexist in your repertorie. It's like learning how to write with your left-hand as a righty. If the instructor teaches this new technique for a week and only revisits it, say, a year later, this is acceptable, imo. But if it's a fundamental technique, that's another story.

I remember learning a high block in Karate where my palm faces towards me (I make a fist, yes, but I'm trying to give a visual here). Then in TKD, they tried to correct me and told me the palm should face outward. It makes no sense to do it both ways. Ironically, I abandoned the technique all together from my skill set. The point is it's difficult to dumb down and check your ego at the door, so to speak, because you risk losing what you have learned elsewhere. You could be wasting years of training, learning similar techniques or, worse, learning skills that are useless in a fight. It's frustrating to fight TKD (or Karate or whatever) guys using TKD in a point match, when you could beat the guy if you were allowed to fight like you would in a real fight, using your grappling. It limits you as a MA because you could be spending more time doing live training; instead, you're practicing fighting in a way that presupposes the guy is coming after you in a TKD fashion.

Basically, I'm saying you have a choice. If you want to listen to the instructor to the T, as an experienced MA, you must understand that his teachings your skills could overlap or conflict. I left TKD because I realized it's the same as Karate (even the kata's are the same). I wasted my time and money learning an art essentially twice.
It depends on the situation, I suppose. If you're a striker and learned some sprawling techniques, and then took a grappling art that overlapped some with your sprawling, this is an acceptable sacrifice. It's a personal decision, I think. I love martial arts -- but it costs money and cannot be learned overnight. I'd rather make a conscientious decision on continuing training a certain MA to save money and time then suck it up and blindly continue training in the same MA and risk learning nothing new or nothing useful. I'm being general; I shouldn't generalize and I apologize that I do. It really is a personal decision. Beyond that, it's a balancing act. Don't take everything at face-value and don't close your eyes and cover your ears. There has to be some middle ground. Of course, I believe the student must be respectful. But that doesn't mean he can't be assertive and let the instructor know what's going through his head.

In short, what I say is personal and I'm not asking anyone to agree with me. If someone feels the same way, OK. If not, that's OK, too.

#224467 - 05/31/06 10:46 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: SEAL]
Toms Offline
Stranger

Training,training,training find what works best for you and use that. What works for one person may not work well for you,find what your most comfortable doing and perfect it.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga