FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
cxt 1
ergees 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#224452 - 05/10/06 06:53 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: Stormdragon]
mrpinkbullets Offline
Stranger

First of all, I'll preface my comment by saying that I'm generally an amateur. That being said, I was menially trained in Krav Maga, and have independently learned the basics of both Xingyi Quan (or Hsing Yi) and Wing Chun. My personal fighting style is a bit of all three- mostly Xingyi, and a lot of Krav Maga, and a little bit of Wing Chun.

Like other posters here have said, it's not really a matter of "what style is best", but really "what style makes you feel most comfortable", and what works for you. I feel very comfortable with my mixed style and in the two surprise confrontations that I've encountered (one against a firearm and the other against an empty-handed opponent), my solution has worked well for me and I feel very comfortable and confident using it. I find that it's not terribly difficult to mix the styles because they all focus mainly on close combat (sometimes EXTREMELY close), they are all designed for maximum efficiency and economy of movement, and they mostly all use straight-line attacks. However, I can understand that it would be difficult (and IMO inadvisable) to combine something like Krav or Systema with TKD or Northern Wushu, because the latter two are too heavily focused on distance attacks, large maneuvers, and acrobatics to combine fluidly with the first two more "combatative" styles. The contrast is even more apparent with the extremely acrobatic arts, like capoeira.

So I'd say: look around to see what you like, try everything out, then see what's most comfortable and natural for you and train like hell.

#224453 - 05/10/06 06:59 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: SEAL]
mrpinkbullets Offline
Stranger

Apropos the Keysi Fighting Method, Tom Cruise seems to use a VERY elementary "form" of KFM at the end of "Mission: Impossible III". Not very advanced, but my friend laughed when he saw it and said, "Ha! He's fighting with his elbows!" It seems that the vast majority of people are not familiar with elbow-centred combat.

#224454 - 05/10/06 06:59 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: mrpinkbullets]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
I think at this point, considering I love TKD and karate, boxing, JJ and krav, I'll train hard in them all and let it come naturally, it seems to be working, my fighting skills have improved substantially in the last 6 monthes or so, since I got into krav, and my self defense skills and combatives ability is all much better, so I'll just keep doing whta I'm doing and let it follow it's own course.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#224455 - 05/18/06 04:16 AM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: Stormdragon]
Hisham Offline

Loc: Middle East
HI everyone,
I have just read the comments which were posted under this thread. I am not a Krav Maga paractitioner. I am a Karateka. I jsut wanted to post my thoughts here. To my experience in karate I have notice that Karate has soooooo many techniques. But in the class room the instructor doesn't get the chance to teach ALL of them to the students. For example, some instructors leave out the breakfalls, grappling and many more like those. Even though U can find these mentioned techniques in karate, but as i said earlier don't get the chance to practice them. So, I believe a Martial Artiest should look around to other styles or systems. This way the artiest will get to learn some things which he/she is weak at. LIke what Bruse Lee said "take what works for U" so street is RANDOM (unpredictable) U can never predict what will happen on the street. So my point is that we have to have a very strong base like whatever be it karate, TKD or whatever then after that we can look into other systems and take what the artiest is missing.

LIke what my Sensei or Sifu says "if Ur a very good brike layer mainly. Then Carpentary work will come easy for U. Coz the base line is strong." Now looking into other styles will make Ur base style stronger not coz Ur mixing but U might have more understanding about a certian technique which will make U a stronger fighter.

#224456 - 05/18/06 09:20 AM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: RangerG]
theoldone Offline

Quote:

Originally posted by RangerG
I wish I were wealthy so that I could train every day.

I just wish I were wealthy. Period

#224457 - 05/18/06 12:52 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: theoldone]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

I second that.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#224458 - 05/18/06 02:35 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: Stormdragon]
BigIrish1975 Offline

Quote:

From what I know of krav it seems to be a very modern style system with many similarities to MT and kickboxing even JKD but is very very different from traditional arts like karate and TKD. The problem is I love krav and MT but i also love TKD and karate so how does a person blend these arts together without simply ending up in a jumble of confusion. These systems have different techniques for dealing with different situations so how do you deal with that?

That is a very good question there Stormdragon. There are core principles to every style. Just look at the differing stances that every MA uses. And when I say MA I am raning from Freestyle/Greco-Roman wrestling to Boxing, From Krav Maga to Kung-Fu, from TKD to Muy-Thai KB and from BJJ to Aikdo and so on. There are sooooo many styles. The trick in combining mutiple forms of MA's is quite simple really. You what works best for you. When your in Krav...you do it the Krav way. When your in TKD do it the TKD way, when your in BJJ you do it BJJ way. Make sense? Wehn your on the street and someone attacks you, use anything and everything you know from all of them and feels most comfortable to you. What do you feel works the best from each. That is what you are gonna want to use. You just need to remember to be respectful to the system you are training under and do it that way during the class. Any respectful teacher will sit with you after class and explain why they do it one way when in another system you do it another way.

/Cheers and good luck

#224459 - 05/18/06 03:13 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: BigIrish1975]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Thanks for the advice that makes sense.

#224460 - 05/18/06 03:34 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: BigIrish1975]
SEAL Offline

I have to say I found your post a little unclear. I don't really follow what you mean when you say "you do it the x way", where x is a particular martial art. The sentence that gave me pause was this: "You just need to remember to be respectful to the system you are training under and do it that way during the class." Again, unclear. What assumptions are you making about the student? For the moment, I'll assume you mean a student skilled in multiple styles.

Having said all that, I have to disagree. One should not take any technique at face-value and add it to their repertoire. If someone is showing me a complicated knife disarm, I most certainly am not going to practice such a useless technique to appease an instructor. In the street, the assailant could care less what way you do something. By fighting in a Krav Maga way or Karate way, whatever those phrases mean, it sends a message that one is training for a particular set of rigid circumstances. Instead of training in a (insert martial art) way, the mindset should be something like training against other martial artists and low-life punks on the street who'll kill you where you stand.

I mean, let's say you're an experienced martial artist and you recently taken up a new art, maybe as recent as a couple of months. So far, the instructor has mostly taught complicated techniques useless for a street situation or some techniques that are similar to techniques in your current skill set. You've gotta ask yourself, "just what the heck am I still doing in this school?" Why would you want to adapt a technique that you essentially learned elsewhere? It's analogous to a me, a righty, walking into a writing school and the instructors strictly enforce left-hand instruction.

#224461 - 05/18/06 03:42 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: SEAL]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

what if you only have access to a place that teaches certain techniques, like I only have regular access to a TKD dojang where we also do a little boxing and BJJ on hte side. everything else is from mauals and training with friends.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga