FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#224442 - 01/29/06 10:34 AM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: Stormdragon]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
It appears there are a lot of lurkers on the Krav forum. I have seen as high as 18 at a time. I think it is because this is the most (or one of the most) active Krav forum on the net. And I think we have a great bunch of folks here who have interesting ideas and opinions.

#224443 - 01/29/06 04:12 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: RangerG]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Very true, this is a great forum, FA.com is a great site in general but hte forums are the best part.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#224444 - 02/22/06 07:24 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: RangerG]
casmor Offline

Loc: Mexico City Mexico
Hi there, I'm new in this forum, but I'd like to say something in response to your post. I've been training KM for almost two years, and as it's common, my instructor has a traditional MA background as a lot of the students. I don't know if this is common in other places, but my instructor is very opened to apply techniques from other disciplines in our training with the only rule of keeping things practical and flexible. So, as some of the students are wrestlers, boxers and martial artists, the training becomes quite interesting completing things with techniques from different places. Since KM don't have too many ground techniques, we use BJJ and greco roman wrestle as a complement, we are aware to try to stay away from the ground, but in reality about 90% of street fights end up in the ground, so it doesn't hurt to know what to do when you are in that position. I guess it's all about keep yourself open to learn new things. You can't pretend that any combat system or martial art has the absolut truth.

#224445 - 03/23/06 11:11 AM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: RangerG]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
Hiya I train in Ashihara Karate (A/K), Atemi Jujitsu (J/J) and Krav Maga, in manchester, UK. I find that the techniques I am learning Bolt on to my A/K and also to my J/J I find that where some techniques lack something then a technique from one of my othe styles fits in so I would agree we should cross train to become better martial artists

Ken

#224446 - 03/23/06 03:52 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: Dobbersky]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
That's true. I have found that my TKD and karate training has helped to sort of fine tune my skills with krav and combatives, and provode a strong foundation and of course it's true, what one system lacks another can pick up the slack.
My only problem with this is that the delivery system and structure of the techniques for traditional MA's like karate
or TKD are vastly different from krav or MT, combatives etc. How do you approach htis without confusing your muscle memeory?

Edited by Stormdragon (03/23/06 04:08 PM)
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#224447 - 03/23/06 10:59 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: Dobbersky]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

All these awesome Martial Artists in the UK. I need to jump the puddle some day and meet all the UK folks on here.

#224448 - 03/28/06 11:14 AM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: RangerG]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Anyone coming over the pond I know some decent 2bit hotels/B'n'B's that would do for you whilst you train and within the next 18 months I'm looking at opening my own club so you'd be welcome to come and train/teach as my guest

Ken

#224449 - 03/28/06 04:15 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: Dobbersky]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

Anyone coming over the pond I know some decent 2bit hotels/B'n'B's that would do for you whilst you train and within the next 18 months I'm looking at opening my own club so you'd be welcome to come and train/teach as my guest

Me teach?

An organ grinder monkey could teach better than I..

Just as long as I don't have to stay at the hotel British Airway's puts you up at when you fly their vacation specials...

#224450 - 03/31/06 04:50 AM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: Dobbersky]
SEAL Offline

Dobbersky, I am very jealous of you. I am dying to learn KFM (Keysi Fighting Method). Right now, it's only available in your country. A couple of people who stuiied JKD, I believe, formualated this supposedly awesome street fighting system. I've heard so much about it. What is your exposure to it? Maybe you can tell us if it's similar to KM. From what I've seen in the bonus features for Batman Begins, it uses a lot of knees and elbows. It's not flashy but it looks devestating!

#224451 - 03/31/06 08:32 AM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: SEAL]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

KFM, I have seen the same as you and read the articles in the MA mags, so I couldn't comment. I suppose the best way around it is to cross train in 3 styles like I have, but then if you take Kappap this is different to KM or the Russian 'Systema' which is quite awesome in quite good as a martial art on its own. Failing that if you are young enough try getting a University course near the Honbu for KFM and traiin whilst you learn

Ken

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga