FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 71 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#224432 - 01/21/06 10:24 PM Combining krav with traditional arts?
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
From what I know of krav it seems to be a very modern style system with many similarities to MT and kickboxing even JKD but is very very different from traditional arts like karate and TKD. The problem is I love krav and MT but i also love TKD and karate so how does a person blend these arts together without simply ending up in a jumble of confusion. These systems have different techniques for dealing with different situations so how do you deal with that?
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#224433 - 01/22/06 06:20 AM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: Stormdragon]
Subedei Offline

Fighting is fighting. It doesn't matter what system you're learning, the reality of things never changes.

Learn everything and decide what works for you and what doesn't. Ultimately you need to formulate your own style of doing things, which should be constantly improving based on your experiences and exposure to the experience of others.

#224434 - 01/22/06 08:12 AM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: Stormdragon]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
Krav is my base form. I add to it by attending various seminars in other techniques, and training with people from other forms.

I have taken (so called) dirty fighting and dirty grappling, Mixed Martial Arts (Bas Rutten System and Team Quest), JO Staff and BJJ. While you may see 75 things at a seminar, you are lucky to grasp about 5 of them, so I keep my eye on anything that may help me with a particular weakness I have.

That said, when you attend a number of seminars, you begin to see the same things as there is only so many combinations of moves...no matter the method/form. Like training at your dojo/gym, you start to blend these skills in to your style.

I have been to one of the Fightingarts get togethers, and going to attend the next one in Feb. I walked away with one new thing last time, I expect the same this time around.

I have also trained with MattJ (moderator), and let me tell you he is one awesome training partner. A very skilled instructor and advanced martial artist in his own right. He takes a lot of time to study my moves, give opinions and suggestions, and work on my weaknesses. If there is a move I have a problem with due to physical limitations, he helps me find a way to work around it. He is also an objective opinion from outside my training system. He is also a good friend. Not bad for one of them AKK folks...

I am cautious of one thing. I respect my Instructor and the head of our school, so I do not teach what I have learned outside our school to any of the other students. I attend the seminars and train with others here to add to my own skill sets. It they want to know what I know..they can attend seminars.

As far as I know, only my Instructor, the head of the school and I attend seminars. None of the other students seem interested.

After I advance another level, I intend to add another form to my training. I think I can keep them apart in my head. At this point it is between TKD and JKK. I have decided not to persue BJJ other than seminars because it kills my joints at my age. I wish I could, as there is one point of ground fighting I am weak in.

I wish I were wealthy so that I could train every day.

#224435 - 01/23/06 12:16 AM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: RangerG]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Quote:

Krav is my base form. I add to it by attending various seminars in other techniques, and training with people from other forms.

I have taken (so called) dirty fighting and dirty grappling, Mixed Martial Arts (Bas Rutten System and Team Quest), JO Staff and BJJ. While you may see 75 things at a seminar, you are lucky to grasp about 5 of them, so I keep my eye on anything that may help me with a particular weakness I have.

That said, when you attend a number of seminars, you begin to see the same things as there is only so many combinations of moves...no matter the method/form. Like training at your dojo/gym, you start to blend these skills in to your style.

I have been to one of the Fightingarts get togethers, and going to attend the next one in Feb. I walked away with one new thing last time, I expect the same this time around.

I have also trained with MattJ (moderator), and let me tell you he is one awesome training partner. A very skilled instructor and advanced martial artist in his own right. He takes a lot of time to study my moves, give opinions and suggestions, and work on my weaknesses. If there is a move I have a problem with due to physical limitations, he helps me find a way to work around it. He is also an objective opinion from outside my training system. He is also a good friend. Not bad for one of them AKK folks...

I am cautious of one thing. I respect my Instructor and the head of our school, so I do not teach what I have learned outside our school to any of the other students. I attend the seminars and train with others here to add to my own skill sets. It they want to know what I know..they can attend seminars.

As far as I know, only my Instructor, the head of the school and I attend seminars. None of the other students seem interested.

After I advance another level, I intend to add another form to my training. I think I can keep them apart in my head. At this point it is between TKD and JKK. I have decided not to persue BJJ other than seminars because it kills my joints at my age. I wish I could, as there is one point of ground fighting I am weak in.

I wish I were wealthy so that I could train every day.

Thanks that helps, one thing i tend to do is try to create a set pattern and formula with my techniques but the problem is i have several of these for eery situation what could i do about this?
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#224436 - 01/23/06 06:41 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: Stormdragon]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Quote:

Thanks that helps, one thing i tend to do is try to create a set pattern and formula with my techniques but the problem is i have several of these for eery situation what could i do about this?

Narrow it down to the one that works best, my man! ... and if you can remember them all, I sure hope we never butt heads

#224437 - 01/23/06 10:01 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: Stormdragon]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
I advise you to put every technique you have in your personal arsenal into the "process".

Take a technique, prove it's usefulness, simplicity and readability, then if it doesn't pass, drop it. If it pass, keep it. Remember, no need to have interlapping techniques. You don't need two styles of side-kicks. Stick to the one that works best for YOU.

Another pointer. Techniques should be simple, effective and usefull. Artfull, flashy techniques are for movies and demonstrations.

-Taison out

#224438 - 01/25/06 04:54 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: Taison]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Yeah, I see what you mean, good point, I have a habit of wanting to stick to every style i come across without deviation so the techniques get in the way of each other, I'm going to just sit down and evaluate all the techniques I know, and test them and then document the ones that are the most effective, and systemize what I know. How does that sound?

#224439 - 01/25/06 11:04 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: Stormdragon]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand

-Taison out

#224440 - 01/27/06 07:01 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: Taison]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Quote:

-Taison out

Hey Who are you laughing at???!

#224441 - 01/28/06 11:11 PM Re: Combining krav with traditional arts? [Re: Stormdragon]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

over a hundred views, you'd think there would be a few more replies.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga