FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (Dobbersky), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 11
trevek 6
JKogas 5
cxt 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Today at 05:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432447 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#224410 - 01/23/06 07:17 AM Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defen [Re: TeK9]
traz Offline

Loc: Canada
Just wait, for the first few belts in my school, almost everything was taught exclusively from a wrist grab or lapel grab. But, as I'm sure you'll be taught later on, those same wrist grab counters can be applied as someone pushes or punches or stabs you. You're just learning the technique, and as you get comfortable flowing from different techniques, then you learn the different contexts in which they can be used. At the same time we did sparring to work on our punches and kicks...so its not like we were useless during the first few belts.

Thats what it was like in my school...however my teacher explained it that way whenever a white belt asked as well.

Edited by traz (01/23/06 07:18 AM)

#224411 - 01/23/06 08:23 AM Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defense [Re: SaBumNim]
h2whoa Offline

Loc: Fiji
I meant no offense...but it does take longer to learn locking arts then striking arts!

*bows respectfully*

#224412 - 01/24/06 02:11 PM Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defense [Re: TeK9]
Hapkid0ist Offline

Loc: Hollyhood, Ca.
I think that maybe your teacher itsn't explaining the basics to you. Before you can learn to use any joint manipulation technique in say a punch defense,you must first learn it at its most basic position.If you are not prficient at a technique that ultimatly breaks the elbow, and you try it agains someone, or even better someone else who barley understands it wants to try it against you, whatdo you think is gonna happen. Your teacher should let you know that 98% of your techniques are also punch defenses. But you must first learn them at their most basic positions. This happens to be grabs. As I say to my students, the only difference between a grab and a punch is speed and intention. If you can't do it at a grab, you have no hope of performing it at a punch. As far as Poomse, well most traditional HKD schools do not have them. Those that do are either TKD based, or for what ever reason the instructor feels they are beneficial.
The biggest problem most new students have is this. Let me post a paper we give new students. Our basic techniques "grab defenses" our our foundations. A house can not stand without a foundation, nor can a student without the foundations of their chosen art. Patince, or you will never gain true knowledge.

"THE BEGINNER

One of the most difficult lessons the new student must learn is that progress in Hap Ki Do is slow. Each person beginning instruction wants to begin immediately on advanced techniques, forgetting the basic framework. So it would be wise for each person to consider the following guides when first training:

1. Hap Ki Do is not only a self-defense but also an art form; the art is eventually the ability to control the mind, spirit and body toward a more coordinated being. And, first as the piano student must play notes, then scales, Hap Ki Do students must learn the basics of stance and position before incorporating technique.

2. As the musician must practice everyday, so must the serious student of Hap Ki Do.

3. Not only is it important to practice consistently, but also slowly. The slower the beginner practice, the faster progress will be made. The student is less likely to overlook details so crucial to further development.

4. Never compare yourself to other students. The Subumn is the only one responsible for you. But after all, the belt is only a symbol of accomplishment, not the accomplishment itself.

5. All students begin training at different levels of development. This in not to say that two students may join class at the same time, but one is already advancing. Not all have equal ability; therefore, progression is individual."

Hap Ki Do is a life style, not a fad.

#224413 - 01/24/06 10:21 PM Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defen [Re: traz]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Traz thanks for the advice I think you described my situation down to a tee. Thanks
Vinci

#224414 - 01/24/06 10:26 PM Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defen [Re: Hapkid0ist]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Thank you for your post, I hope you will contribute more to the TKD/Hapkido forum. We need a fresh perspective on things.

I am a TKD practitioner who is taking hapkido for the first time, it's actually been something I've wanted to do for quite some time. Because I've researched hapkido and have come to the conclusion that it'sa no non-sense martial art. I figure it would compliment my TKD skills, particularly the lack of self defense techniques.

I have a question for you, what do you think about poomse training? I personally think it's a waist of time, and there are other methods of practicing the basics rather than going to some solo pre-arranged pattern that doesn't even have combat application to it. What are you thoughts sir?
Vinci

#224415 - 01/24/06 10:51 PM Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defen [Re: TeK9]
h2whoa Offline

Loc: Fiji
Poomse....I learn HKD..but my supplimentry art is karate...many people discredit the Kata..which is just the japanese form of poomse...kata is karate...you must understand the kata...how it applies what it means...each movement is a movement of self defense using the tools of the chosen art...as was said before you must understand the basics before you can apply...each block strike, is applied to different situations..as you grow in MA you will recognise this!

Do not discredit it untill you understand it fully...learning how to kick and punch correctly is one thing..but you do it to apply to poomse/kata!

*bows respectfully*

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga