FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#224192 - 01/20/06 02:12 PM Fundamentals
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
What is the first lesson like in your school for Jiu Jitsu?

Break Falls?

Blocks?

Stance Work?

Wrist escapes?

I remember going through high and middle blocks and learning how to perform a basic punch. Then moving on to basic wrist escapes going against the thumb.

Looking back now, it wasn't much. At the time, it was all brand new though and very mysterious.

If you are teaching, how different, if at all, is the way you teach the first class from the way you learned in your own?

#224193 - 01/20/06 02:59 PM Re: Fundamentals [Re: Fletch1]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I wish I could answer this Fletch but I don't know when Taedwondo ends and Hapkido, JJJ or BJJ start. All of the items you list we train. It also depending on what day you showed up as we work on a 6 day rotation period so no day is the same ... not to mention the curriculm taught on that day.

My first day when I showed up just to check things out was basic punching from a horse stance. This was followed by fundimental kicking and stances. Then I was taught the Fundimental Pattern. Next time I showed up we did falling techniques (break falls) ... but being new I only did to a certain level and then watched. It wasn't till much later did I start learning hand techniques (wrist escapes) but then again I could have missed days as I only came 3 days a week. Blocks were learned from the basic with the hand techniques.

Now, my favorite things to do are grappling (a passion), breakfalling (thrown and throwin), one-step self defense patterns (with partner), and kicking drills (person, blocker shield or paddles).

#224194 - 01/20/06 03:04 PM Re: Fundamentals [Re: Fletch1]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

I studied with the WJJF. I attended the final class of the year, just before their Christmas break.

Basically it was rapid fire self defence techniques. It was really practical stuff, blocking punches, and then counter striking to set up the hip throw. Block punch, reverse elbow to face, hip throw. Block punch, light tiger claw jab to throat, knee to groin, hip throw... and so it continued..

Obviously as a beginner I wasn't expected to do everything. But I enjoyed it none the less, and felt as though the techniques I had learnt would translate in to a real situation quite easily (with a bit more practice on my part)

#224195 - 01/20/06 03:30 PM Re: Fundamentals [Re: Prizewriter]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

Basically it was rapid fire self defence techniques. It was really practical stuff, blocking punches, and then counter striking to set up the hip throw. Block punch, reverse elbow to face, hip throw. Block punch, light tiger claw jab to throat, knee to groin, hip throw... and so it continued..

Obviously as a beginner I wasn't expected to do everything. But I enjoyed it none the less, and felt as though the techniques I had learnt would translate in to a real situation quite easily (with a bit more practice on my part)

Sounds a lot like out one-step self defense patterns. Practical and fun.

#224196 - 01/20/06 03:35 PM Re: Fundamentals [Re: Fletch1]
azjudoaikijitsu Offline

Loc: Mesa Az
We went over ettiquite, basic stances, break falls. Those of us with prev MA experience were shown some other stuff.

#224197 - 01/21/06 04:42 AM Re: Fundamentals [Re: Fletch1]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
The first day with my current master?

He said "Do you have experience with Judo?" I said no and we went over the most practical throws for my body type. That may be one of the reasons why I like Osoto-gari.

Then we went for a little sparring. At first it's more MMA but nowadays it's basically Judo grappling cuz I don't see the reason to kick/punch if he knows how to counter it.

-Taison out

#224198 - 01/21/06 11:04 AM Re: Fundamentals [Re: Fletch1]
jujutsutampa Offline

After 15+ years of training in a few different styles, I compared different aspects of the training and tailored my style to accomadate what I thought was the most important aspect of Ju-Jutsu for a beginner. With that said, I generally start every class with Ukemi (breakfalls) and rolls. This helps everyone prepare for falling. This is followed by whatever the technique of the day happens to be. For beginners (to include the first day), most techniques start from a single-wrist grab defense. I've found this helps them concentrate on the technique (kote-gaeshi, kansetsu waza...) before they start using these in defense of more "involved" attacks. Hope this helps...

#224199 - 01/21/06 11:22 AM Re: Fundamentals [Re: jujutsutampa]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
First we learned etiquette, then drilled breakfalls and rolls for the rest of the lesson. Then we were taught one standing lock at the end of the lesson and repeatedly trained it.

This sort of pattern continued for quite a while until our breakfalls were good enough to handle breakfalling on the tatami out of a throw.

#224200 - 01/21/06 11:26 AM Re: Fundamentals [Re: Leo_E_49]
jujutsutampa Offline

That sounds about right, Leo. Rolls, ukemi, and maybe one "actual" defense technique. I've seen too many instructors try to teach 5 or more techniques in a single class, and it just becomes too much to remember!

#224201 - 02/03/06 07:50 PM Re: Fundamentals [Re: jujutsutampa]
azjudoaikijitsu Offline

Loc: Mesa Az
I think learning how to fall is the most important 1st thing a new MA person can learn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga