FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 3
ergees 2
Marcus Charles 1
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
09/09/14 05:55 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432491 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#224150 - 01/20/06 11:26 AM Pepper Spray/Mace questions from a civilian
asiagurrl Offline

I want to buy some pepper spray for myself, friends and family, but I'm not sure what the best type will be. I'll be buying some key chain units and some for inside the house. But I have a couple of questions:

1. I've heard Fox is THE name in pepper sprays. But as far as I can tell, they mostly sell OC formulas. Someone else told me that a combination of OC/CN is better. Any thoughts on this?

2. What's the difference between a "Flip Top" version and a "Cop" version?

3. Which is better: stream or fog or foam? I've heard stream is better when it might be windy, but what about inside a house?

I am basically looking for the best quality that can be used in the most situations and purchased by a civilian.

Thanks for any thoughts/insight!

#224151 - 01/20/06 10:07 PM Re: Pepper Spray/Mace questions from a civilian [Re: asiagurrl]
Glockmeister Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Pa
Use pepper spray in the house sometime. It will be an interesting experience. I wouldn't do that unless you were out of options and the situation is dire. As far as civillians and pepper spray, it's hit or miss. I prefer the foam, but most of those types are not availablke to non LEO's. Most keychain models I have seen are of poor quality, lose pressure quickly and may or may not be effective. I have heard some good things about the FOX so may wanna look into it.
As far as Fog goes, you stand a chance at getting hit with it yourself if there is a slight wind or you are in close quarters.
The foam is good because it sticks to the attackers face and is harder to end up hitting yourself with it.
Talk with your local PD and ask them about what is legal in your area.

#224152 - 03/07/06 03:19 PM Re: Pepper Spray/Mace questions from a civilian [Re: Glockmeister]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
I have two Fox 16 oz foggers, and 2 key chain kobutons. the foggers will fill up a house pretty well, in a matter of a minute or so. the keychain is good for about 5 feet. the power of the gas is pretty good.

basically, my feeling is that if I start letting this out in my house, everybody, myself and my family included, will all have to get out. I have no intention of using it if it isn't an emergency. but I can't imagine anybody continuing to work through a fog of this stuff.

by the way - I also keep two 24 inch hardwood nightsticks. I think that the combination of the gas and a nighstick is pretty good.

#224153 - 03/19/06 10:09 PM Re: Pepper Spray/Mace questions from a civilian [Re: asiagurrl]
Derik Offline
Cruisin' for a bruisin'

Quote:

I want to buy some pepper spray for myself, friends and family, but I'm not sure what the best type will be. I'll be buying some key chain units and some for inside the house. But I have a couple of questions:

1. I've heard Fox is THE name in pepper sprays. But as far as I can tell, they mostly sell OC formulas. Someone else told me that a combination of OC/CN is better. Any thoughts on this?

3. Which is better: stream or fog or foam? I've heard stream is better when it might be windy, but what about inside a house?

I am basically looking for the best quality that can be used in the most situations and purchased by a civilian.

get a gun seriously if somone shot me with pepper spray i would jump foward to where you where and kill you beacuse i would be [censored]

#224154 - 03/20/06 01:02 AM Re: Pepper Spray/Mace questions from a civilian [Re: Derik]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
OC is the most common abd comparable to OC/CN formulas. Any reputable brand will have a variety of formulas from which to choose, all of which should be effective.

Stream is also the most common. It is also the most widely applicable for various scenarios. Foam has the possibility of the subject scooping it up and throwing it back at you in a wad. Fog has limited directional accuracy and is best used in crowd control situations.

#224155 - 03/20/06 04:18 AM Re: Pepper Spray/Mace questions from a civilian [Re: Derik]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

Quote:

get a gun seriously if somone shot me with pepper spray i would jump foward to where you where and kill you beacuse i would be [censored]

Sure ya would toughguy. After all,you've experienced this,right?

The poster is looking for a NON lethal way of defending herself,specifically,mace or pepperspray,not poor advice.

#224156 - 03/20/06 11:35 AM Re: Pepper Spray/Mace questions from a civilian [Re: Derik]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

seriously if somone shot me with pepper spray i would jump foward to where you where and kill you beacuse i would be [censored]

Bwaha. Let me fix that quote for you :

Quote:

seriously if somone shot me with pepper spray i would drop to the floor in the fetal position, crying and vomiting beacuse i would be #ucked.

#224157 - 03/20/06 06:05 PM Re: Pepper Spray/Mace questions from a civilian [Re: MattJ]
ziggytkd Offline

Loc: KY USA
I'd rather get hit with a taser again than sprayed.

#224158 - 03/20/06 06:36 PM Re: Pepper Spray/Mace questions from a civilian [Re: ziggytkd]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
gas should be seen as part of a system - if I were to gas somebody, I would then take out their knees. you may, concievably, get a grip on the situation a few minutes after getting gased. in the 5 seconds of so after contact, you are pretty worthless.

#224159 - 03/20/06 07:47 PM Re: Pepper Spray/Mace questions from a civilian [Re: asiagurrl]
MikoReklaw Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
-thinks back to his 'spray licensing class- Lets see what help I can be...

Quote:

Well OC/CS mixtures are part pepperspray, part tear gas. People can grow a tolerance to civilian pepperspray. And, while Fox is THE name in civilian pepperspray, Mace is the THE name in all pepperspray/foam

Quote:

The Law Enforcement quality spray can require a license to use [I had to get one to use what I have]. It is a LOT hotter. The STUs are a lot higher. Some, if not removed from the flesh soon enough, will blister or burn it.

Quote:

Stream cans have a longer range, and more shots per can, but for indoor use, Mace Brand 10% Foam. The Fog will fill a room. If your A/C is on...then EVERYONE in the house will get hit with it. Spray can stay concentrated in a certain area, but if there is anyone to the sides of the person you spray, it does mist a little, and the splashback is kinda painful.

Just do some research on these brands and decide which will work best for your household. Just remember, this stuff hurts....a LOT.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga