FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 3
swordy 1
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35581 Topics
432508 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#224083 - 01/20/06 07:34 AM Submissions on the street
1neikoot Offline

Loc: Candy Land
Lets say you manage to pull off a submission on the street. Would you go all the way and choke him out, break his arm or even kill the guy? One problem I see is when the guy taps out and you instinctively let him go, you might be in for some trouble. Another problem is say your opponent is begging to let go, "I give up", or "okay you win", assume that you feel sorry for the guy and trust him, so you let him go and your opponent still wants to attack you. So would you just go all the way with the submission on the street?

#224084 - 01/20/06 08:29 AM Re: Submissions on the street [Re: 1neikoot]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

I would probably submit long before it got started.

#224085 - 01/20/06 08:41 AM Re: Submissions on the street [Re: 1neikoot]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
I think after some one is slammed to the ground and put in a arm bar, kamora, choke or any other submission they get the point real quick. As for ending the confrontation on the ground it probably depend on the severity of the attack and what kind of mood your in...to break or not to break?

Probably choking someone out would be easiest and less harmful/invassive vs.a break or dislocation. Your law suit wouldn't be that bad either...LOL just kidding

Edited by schanne (01/20/06 08:45 AM)

#224086 - 01/20/06 09:20 AM Re: Submissions on the street [Re: 1neikoot]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I've had the unfortunate experience of letting a person up after he submitted and that is exactly what happened. He laid there and then got up and cranked me one in the eye and it started over. So in the future I will hold that person that much longer ... I won't kill him ... I won't break anything if I don't have to ... but I will hold him until he calms down, and then hold a "few" seconds longer ... plus I will stand back and give more distance and be ready. That time in 1990 I wasn't trained as I am now, so I don't think it will be an issue.

#224087 - 01/20/06 10:28 AM Re: Submissions on the street [Re: Dereck]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Depending on how bad the situation is (let's say REAL bad) I wouldn't even think about trying to tap someone out in a confrontation. The street is not the ring and there aren't rules. I would imagine staying on your feet if possible is the best strategy, as it allows you to run or strike.

#224088 - 01/20/06 12:27 PM Re: Submissions on the street [Re: ShikataGaNai]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
The only thing that changes are the Rules of Engagement. Only you can make that decision of whether to injure some with a joint lock, to put them to sleep, to punch them repeatedly or allow them to surrender. It's your fight. Read it and understand your responsibilities and liabilities.

It all depends. BJJ is the Gentle Art which means it gives you non violent/ traumatic options to subdue youe opponent. It's still a fight though. Your first goal should be to detect the aggression soon enough to avoid it. If that is not possible, diffuse it (and escape) by choice speech and gestures and lastly by defending yourself (and escaping).

#224089 - 01/20/06 03:06 PM Re: Submissions on the street [Re: 1neikoot]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
1neikoot

Gotta think about the situation.

Something that I always like to keep in mind is "what happens after??"

By this I mean that most street altercations I have seen were really only the start of the problems.

You have to think about what is going to go down AFTER the fight.

Say you lock a guy and in his drunken struggles to free himself he badly injures his arm and can't work--then his lawyor shows up wanting YOU to pay his bills until he is "better."

Same with clocking a guy---who is to say that you used "proper" force in defending yourself?
You may have--but what is it going to "look" like a year later to a judge?

In the example tha you give--if anyone hears the dude begging you to let him up and you DON'T--consider what that is going to "sound" like to a jury.

Also consider what it can be "spun" into if you let him go and he attacks yo again--so THIS time you hurt him.
Hard to argue that you were afraid of him THEN--see you let him go already--SO YOU CAN'T HAVE "REALLY" BEEN SCARED.

Not trying to put you off defending yourself---just trying to point out that "self defense" takes on MANY different forms--esp in a "street" altercation.

And there is no telling what soneone is going to do.

Heck if they are the kinda of loutish, low brow jerk tha would attack a guy for "fun"--then that's LAST type of guy that will be willing to calmly take his much deserved arse-kicking and simply go away.

A jerk tends to REMAIN a jerk--and they tend to continue being pains in the behind long after you would think they would.

#224090 - 01/20/06 03:42 PM Re: Submissions on the street [Re: cxt]
1neikoot Offline

Loc: Candy Land
Good Posts everyone, thanks

CXT

You bring up alot of good points.

But your points often remind me of why I even bother to train MA'ts. Don't get it wrong, your absolutely right about everything, but it disturbs me with the fact that defending yourself can also be a crime and you have to take many responsibilities into account, especially when its a life threatening situation and YOUR the one who's gonna suffer. In that case, I would go all the way with the submission, but in other cases, I would probably let my opponent go, but I don't think thats a good idea, because
a) you don't know the person at all
b) he might have a gun or knife in his other pocket
c) most likely attack you anyways

Obviously, the streets are full of surprises, thats why I don't think that letting anyone go is such a good idea. The way I look at it is you either finish the job, or prepared to be finished. Your opponent won't feel compassion towards you, and therefore why should I feel any towards him?

In terms of the legal aspects, what if that person does not know me at all, does'nt know what my name is or where I live, how can he possibly sue me? Is it safe to say that the legal aspects don't apply any longer. Is there other methods I don't know about that allows this person to still press charges.

Note: don't get the wrong idea about me, I'm not some ba@#$%^ who's going to choke you to death the first chance I get, I treat all opponents with great respect, but what I'm really getting at here is; you don't know how extreme the situation maybe until you let your opponent go, then you'll really hope you were a ba@#$%^ in the first place

Edited by 1neikoot (01/20/06 03:45 PM)

#224091 - 01/21/06 01:04 PM Re: Submissions on the street [Re: 1neikoot]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
SD is a double edged sword.

Myself, I train because I enjoy it. I enjoy the challenge of staying in shape, of remaining sharp, of sharing info to new people. Being able to defend myself is a side benefit. SD was why I started MA but it is not "the" reason why I still do it.

With that in mind, I feel that I can protect myself reasonably well in a given situation. Could I improve my chances by training harder and shifting the emphasis to pure SD and doing endless suckerpunch drills and role playing exercises? Maybe. Maybe not. I don't think I would have nearly as much fun and the lack of enjoyment wouild be a factor in my continuing.

Why do I say this? Because I think that a lifelong study of MA should be enjoyable and there should be a balance. What you you train should serve you, not the other way around. The question of whether to submit, injure, restrain or incapacitate, will be based on your perspective of the circumstances. Personal choices require intent and cabability. Training most effectively addresses the latter.

#224092 - 01/22/06 08:51 AM Re: Submissions on the street [Re: 1neikoot]
BigRod Offline
Does it all

Loc: Atlanta, GA
You shouldn't be fighting for fun and games. If you fight, it should be for real, and you better do what you need to do to put him down for good.

And really, dislocating/breaking his arm or shouler doesn't mean he'll stop fighting. You should have one heck of an advantage though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga