FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#223728 - 01/18/06 10:05 PM What a dissapointment for me (Tae Kwon Do related)
MichelleKwondo Offline

I live in Saint Louis and signed up for a 2 week trial with a Dojo right down the street for $30.. They provided the uniform and white belt.. I have NEVER done any kind of Martial Arts before..

I go in and love the 1st week. I'm getting a great workout and I'm swinging at Air They don't really use any equipment to practice with.. at least not while I was there, so it made me wonder what the paying customers money went to. I went 4 nights a week.. The instructors are AWESOME!! There are also many little kids there with Blackbelts and I'm thinking this must be VERY easy....

Anyway I wanted to know what I was getting myself into so on the 3rd day I sat with the Master and he was "trying" to buy me in by stating by signing a 3 year contract you get a nice uniform, a bag and a jacket... he also stated this "For adults you MUST sign a 3 year contract" for kids its a year... it's $119 a month, I talked him down to $85 (didn't want a 3 year contract).. I knew there was no way I was going to sign a 3 year contract...

I have been reading the posts on here to RUN if that's all they do (I knew with him it was ONLY about the Money) and I know that is just absured... He wasn't even WILLING to even let me try a 1 year contract... So I did my last trial day and left at that and come home dissappointed... Stupid me for thinking "Maybe" if I work with him HE will work with me... NOPE.. that's really sad when you HAVE someone wanting to join your Dojo and you can't work with them... I don't know if I want to look else where or just practice what I have already learned at home...

Do you guys think I did the right thing? I kinda feel guilty because I DID love it but my consious is telling to RUN!!

#223729 - 01/18/06 10:11 PM Re: What a dissapointment for me (Tae Kwon Do related) [Re: MichelleKwondo]
Subedei Offline

He requires a three year contract? Looks like someone doesn't think he has enough cars...

My advise would be to stay away from contracts as much as possible. The idea behind them is the same as gyms - Convince you to sign the contract so they'll still get money when you stop coming. If they're good at what they do they shouldn't need contracts to keep students, if they do lose a student that person should not have to pay for time they're not using.

#223730 - 01/18/06 10:12 PM Re: What a dissapointment for me (Tae Kwon Do related) [Re: MichelleKwondo]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I live in Saint Louis and signed up for a 2 week trial with a Dojo right down the street for $30.. They provided the uniform and white belt.. I have NEVER done any kind of Martial Arts before..

I go in and love the 1st week. I'm getting a great workout and I'm swinging at Air They don't really use any equipment to practice with.. at least not while I was there, so it made me wonder what the paying customers money went to. I went 4 nights a week.. The instructors are AWESOME!! There are also many little kids there with Blackbelts and I'm thinking this must be VERY easy....

Anyway I wanted to know what I was getting myself into so on the 3rd day I sat with the Master and he was "trying" to buy me in by stating by signing a 3 year contract you get a nice uniform, a bag and a jacket... he also stated this "For adults you MUST sign a 3 year contract" for kids its a year... it's $119 a month, I talked him down to $85 (didn't want a 3 year contract).. I knew there was no way I was going to sign a 3 year contract...

I have been reading the posts on here to RUN if that's all they do (I knew with him it was ONLY about the Money) and I know that is just absured... He wasn't even WILLING to even let me try a 1 year contract... So I did my last trial day and left at that and come home dissappointed... Stupid me for thinking "Maybe" if I work with him HE will work with me... NOPE.. that's really sad when you HAVE someone wanting to join your Dojo and you can't work with them... I don't know if I want to look else where or just practice what I have already learned at home...

Do you guys think I did the right thing? I kinda feel guilty because I DID love it but my consious is telling to RUN!!

And your conscience is right on the money ! Keep looking, there are PLENTY of great schools who do not look for contracts. Good luck !

VDJ

#223731 - 01/18/06 10:18 PM Re: What a dissapointment for me (Tae Kwon Do related) [Re: MichelleKwondo]
spoonhammer Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs
Seriously, bolt! You did the right thing. If you love it, don't give up, just keep looking for a place that fits you, you shouldn't have to feel pressured into a contract. The only contract I ever signed was a 1 year deal, and that's only cuz it was $20 a month (great school, BTW, but I didn't like the over-emphasis on point sparring...that's just me). I'd also be weary of any place that has an abundance of little kids with black belts. Seriously, what are they teaching there? Just do some research, some footwork, and keep your chin up! No, wait, don't keep your chin up...that's a good way to get tagged.

#223732 - 01/18/06 10:21 PM Re: What a dissapointment for me (Tae Kwon Do related) [Re: Subedei]
MichelleKwondo Offline

I've seen his vehicle and it's VERY nice and expensive... I really appreciate your guy's input! Makes me feel more at ease for walking out!

#223733 - 01/18/06 10:35 PM Re: What a dissapointment for me (Tae Kwon Do related) [Re: MichelleKwondo]
MichelleKwondo Offline

Another thing I wonder.. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against a child working for a black belt but I see kids as young as 6 there with black belts?!?!?!? Do they give yellow belts and higher to 2 and 3 year olds???? I don't get it.... Wouldn't they have to be that young when they started... After I read that on another post I can NOW see it's about the money with this Dojo. They charge $50 for the first test and the higher the belt the more you have to pay.... another turn off... I'm not really wanting to be in it FOR just a belt... I wanted to do it to learn and get better at defending myself because I'm little!

#223734 - 01/18/06 10:41 PM Re: What a dissapointment for me (Tae Kwon Do related) [Re: MichelleKwondo]
spoonhammer Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs
6yr olds with black belts? Definite McDojang. Avoid that place like the plague.

Edited by spoonhammer (01/18/06 10:54 PM)

#223735 - 01/18/06 11:36 PM Re: What a dissapointment for me (Tae Kwon Do related) [Re: MichelleKwondo]
Subedei Offline

Quote:

I've seen his vehicle and it's VERY nice and expensive...

They always are

#223736 - 01/19/06 09:23 AM Re: What a dissapointment for me (Tae Kwon Do related) [Re: MichelleKwondo]
onb Offline

Loc: Canada
You know, I have to admit, when I have read all the McDojang comments in the past, I kinda always thought that they were an exageration. I mean, I really didn't think that people would run schools like this... but if your description is even half as bad as this school really is, this place sounds terrible! 6 year old BBs??? My God! kids can't even get a yellow belt in my school until they're 10. Before that they have white belts with more and more tape stripes added to make them feel like they are advancing. AND 120 bucks a month in a pre-paid three year contract?!?! Wow, what a bargain... gee that's only, like... $4320 that you would have to lay down before you've even started training. What a scam! (btw, 120 bucks a month is an awful lot for TKD training)

Most clubs do charge for the belt testing but usually it's a nominal fee, and it shouldn't really get more expensive as you work up the levels with the exception of a BB test... there is more registrations and certification stuff that happens a that level.

In a big city like St Louis, there are going to be lots of clubs for you to look at so don't get discouraged. Keep looking and go for a quality dojang that doesn't give you the warning signs.

#223737 - 01/19/06 11:34 AM Re: What a dissapointment for me (Tae Kwon Do related) [Re: MichelleKwondo]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Michelle K

Sounds to me like you did the right thing.

Signing a 3 year contract after only a couple of weeks is crazy.

I would not sign a 3 year contract in any case.

If I were you I would seek out someplace else to train.

Edited by cxt (01/19/06 11:35 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga