FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 8
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
ergees 2
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#222280 - 01/21/06 12:46 PM Re: Shadow kicking and the pain of it.. [Re: nospoon_TKD]
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Quote:

But when I'm doing a side kick to the head or upper torso, most of the time I feel pain in my hips when I only hit air.

Can anyone explain this to my or knows a way to exercise without having this pain?

Please don't say, "don't shadow kick", this is the last option I wan't to consider.

Thanks a ton in advance.

One of the issues with shadow sparring is the transmission of energy. If you throw a roundhouse kick into a heavy bag, the bag absorbs that force.

If you throw a kick into thin air, your leg has to absorb the force it generated to stop it. This translates into stress on your muscles, joints, ligaments, tendons, and bone.

Is it really an issue, though?

For some people, no. After a hard class of TKD (in which we do a large amount of shadow sparring) I will be sore the next day, but nothing major, and certainly nothing acutely at the time.

For many others, though, it ends their martial arts career, if you will, eventually. I think genetically, some people can handle the stress better--this may be a bio-mechanics factor, or nuances in technique. Over the course of many years, this "wear n tear" may have a compounding effect.

For this reason and others, I am moving away from traditional martial arts that emphasis shadow sparring, and into martial arts that emphasis bag and pad work.

But I'm totally digressing. Chances are, your hip flexors are a bit strained at the moment; throwing high kicks and stopping them is putting too much stress on them.

#222281 - 02/10/06 10:26 PM Re: Shadow kicking and the pain of it.. [Re: MikeMartial]
Joe7987 Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Are you making sure you stop the side kick.. or are you just throwing it out there and letting it stop itself? With a heavy bag, the bag stops it.. In air.. you are responsible for stopping it. If not, you will end up hurting yourself. So make sure you stop the kick. Don't overextend it and let it pull you. That may or may not be the case in your predicament, but it's worth a try.

#222282 - 02/10/06 10:37 PM Re: Shadow kicking and the pain of it.. [Re: Joe7987]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
I didn't konw you could hyperextend your leg while practicing side kicks with nothing but air. I was under the impression that if you stretch properly could execute completely without pulling back.

I think your his hip problem is more of a sprain or tear than it is the way he practiced the technique, perhaps he needs to stretch more. When I execute my side kicks I follow through completely that help build the thigh muscles. Usually this puts pressure on the hammstring but if you stretch properly there should be no worries.
Vinci

#222283 - 02/11/06 04:23 AM Re: Shadow kicking and the pain of it.. [Re: TeK9]
dicen Offline

When shadow sparring you are not supposed to go full power, theres nothing to transfer the engery your kick is generating. If you constanlty kick full power in the air your body is going to feel it, its like the ball tied to a rubber band connected to a paddle. If you hit the ball hard enough the rubber band will snap. Also the pain in your hips could just be you'er not loosening them up enough. I have that problems sometimes I usually do hip rotations before, during, and after I practice to make sure they stay loose.

#222284 - 02/11/06 01:06 PM Re: Shadow kicking and the pain of it.. [Re: DaDoN_1]
vivek Offline
Stranger

Can anyone can tell me how to practise shadow boxing and shadow kicking.Please tell me i searched almost every where but i got something about shadow boxing but not shadow boxing.
"PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO PRACTISE SHADOW BOXINF AND SHADOW KICKING".Thnx.

#222285 - 02/11/06 05:44 PM Re: Shadow kicking and the pain of it.. [Re: vivek]
TimBlack Offline
Exalted

Loc: UK, Brighton
Once a guy in my class accidently killed his shadow with a sidekick... broke it's ribs when it wasn't looking. My master (lethal haddock fame) said that this only happened to people who didn't quite understand what shadow boxing was...

Seriously though, unless you're trying to kill your shadow (we've all been there) then you can't 'practice' shadow boxing... it's a method of practice itself. Shadow boxing/kicking is about practicing your techniques, and moving a bit. You can make up drills to help focus things, but you can't 'learn' to shadow box/kick.

#222286 - 02/11/06 09:02 PM Re: Shadow kicking and the pain of it.. [Re: vivek]
funstick5000 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: West Yorkshire, England
Quote:

Can anyone can tell me how to practise shadow boxing and shadow kicking.Please tell me i searched almost every where but i got something about shadow boxing but not shadow boxing.
"PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO PRACTISE SHADOW BOXINF AND SHADOW KICKING".Thnx.

all shadow boxing/kciking is is just practising combinations and moves on your own. you don't hit a bag just air - thats why they say your boxing your shadow. its there so you can practise combinations and build stamina.

you can also practise in front of a mirror so you see that you aren't telegraphing your movements, i.e. doing something that gives away what attack your about to do - such as hunching your shoulders before you punch etc.

#222287 - 02/12/06 09:29 AM Re: Shadow kicking and the pain of it.. [Re: TimBlack]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Tim please...Dont lie to the boy, how is he ever going to learn. Shadow Boxing is an ancient technique practiced by special japanese ninjas, however, the koreans were so envious of their japanese oppressors that they created an elite group of korean TKD ninjas who mastered the art of shadow kicking sparring. These special TKD ninjas went around japan, china, okinawa and france kicking people in the A$$.

Vinci

#222288 - 02/12/06 10:28 AM Re: Shadow kicking and the pain of it.. [Re: TeK9]
vivek Offline
Stranger

Can i practise seeing mirror.
I thought that when you practice kicking types seeing your image in mirror"Then it is shadow kicking".
And when i use various punching styles seeing my image in mirror"Then it is shadow boxing".

ARE THEY RIGHT.

#222289 - 02/12/06 04:19 PM Re: Shadow kicking and the pain of it.. [Re: vivek]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Yes, shadow sparring can be practiced with or without a mirror.

-TeK
Vinci

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga