FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#222222 - 01/12/06 08:04 PM TKD traditional training methods
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Hey guys I just thought of a traditional training method that really annoyed me. I didn't mind so much practicing forms. But practicing individual form techniques durring line drills was terrible. ex: Moving forward and backwards in a front forward stance while punching. Man I really hated this. I'm sure it helped conditioned my thighs, but other than that I felt there were better ways we could be training. Different methods.
Vinci

#222223 - 01/13/06 09:59 AM Re: TKD traditional training methods [Re: TeK9]
Paulol Offline

line work is fine for kids! and does give you the chance to repeat movements in isolation. but partner work is much better for you!

you can learn targeting (instead of fighting that imaginary person infront of you, cause my knees are in biz over fighting him!!) on a real person.

it has to be practical partner work though. as step-sparring can be a off the mark when it comes to real application and often does not reflect the pattern taught at that level. mostly it's made into an overly complicated add on to training.

#222224 - 01/14/06 03:13 AM Re: TKD traditional training methods [Re: Paulol]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Yea I had issues with the traditional front stance, I mean what was the point, if I ever have to fight someone my stance wont be nearly has low. If I am to defend myself in self defense sure, but in a fight I would never get that low.
Vinci

#222225 - 01/14/06 09:04 AM Re: TKD traditional training methods [Re: TeK9]
matxtx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: england
i find it usefull for getting good technique.also combinations of techniques .repetition repetition repetition.building muscle memory.getting power etc.the full body movement that will be abbreviated when you have to do it for real.
i find myself automatilcaly chambering my punch for example..where a jab works as an abbreviated chamber for a full power punch even in a gaurd up fighting stance.to get more power and getting my hips into it etc etc.from things like line work and repetative work.
its good for the overlooked hand work in TKD like combining open hand and knife handstrikes and forearms and elbows etc.
i see it bit like shadow boxing where your realy realy getting the technique down.with a fine comb.then if i come out of the full stances to a more realistic fighting stance im getting closer to realism still though applying as much as i can of the full technique in less time,using muscle memory.

#222226 - 01/14/06 09:31 AM Re: TKD traditional training methods [Re: matxtx]
matxtx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: england
also i beleive doing the blocks in there fullness in linework or sitting stance is better than against an opponent early on so you can get the technique.or else you wont be able to understand the parry's, locks and takedowns that are in them.or it will be harder at least.

#222227 - 01/14/06 11:50 AM Re: TKD traditional training methods [Re: matxtx]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

i find it usefull for getting good technique.also combinations of techniques .repetition repetition repetition.building muscle memory.getting power etc.the full body movement that will be abbreviated when you have to do it for real.
i find myself automatilcaly chambering my punch for example..where a jab works as an abbreviated chamber for a full power punch even in a gaurd up fighting stance.to get more power and getting my hips into it etc etc.from things like line work and repetative work.
its good for the overlooked hand work in TKD like combining open hand and knife handstrikes and forearms and elbows etc.
i see it bit like shadow boxing where your realy realy getting the technique down.with a fine comb.then if i come out of the full stances to a more realistic fighting stance im getting closer to realism still though applying as much as i can of the full technique in less time,using muscle memory.

I agree. It may not be that realistic, but there is nothing better for getting good strong technique. Just as with other training methods, it must be done with other types of training; but I still value it. I especially like practicing kicks with it, since it allows you to practice balance, technique and strength, all in one.

#222228 - 01/14/06 12:00 PM Re: TKD traditional training methods [Re: Supremor]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

The thing to remember here is that one of the main aims of Eastern Martial arts was to better oneself.

In Iaido for instance, there is no freeplay, no room for individuals to do what they feel like.

Now to the untrained eye, this may seem pointless, and not very useful.

But the underlying philosophy behind this is that we, as human beings, can sometimes just do what we feel like, and not what we should. Iaido teaches that you must perfect yourself by doing things that you may not want to, but, are ultimately good for you. You learn to do what you should, not what you want.

So to is it the same in arts such as Shotokan and Tae Kwon Do. Perfection is a habit. Practice front stances, perfecting them as best you can with all effort, and you can learn that with equal effort all things in your life can also be perfected, because you do what you should, (what is good for you), not what you feel like (which is not good for you a lot of the time, e.g. sitting in front of the TV and eating chocolate because you feel like it.)

Hope this helps!

Edited by Prizewriter (01/14/06 12:01 PM)

#222229 - 01/15/06 05:16 AM Re: TKD traditional training methods [Re: TeK9]
Paulol Offline

Quote:

Yea I had issues with the traditional front stance, I mean what was the point, if I ever have to fight someone my stance wont be nearly has low. If I am to defend myself in self defense sure, but in a fight I would never get that low.

So is your self defence not about defending yourself in a fight??

Is the front stance you talk about a walking stance in ITF TKD??

When you realise that the traditional movements and stances have a solid base (as in the stance being strong in certain directions) then you will find better ways and reasons to use them in a fight!!

#222230 - 01/15/06 02:59 PM Re: TKD traditional training methods [Re: Prizewriter]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

I liked your response, it gave me something to think about, although I am not sure I have the answeryet, I just thought you should know that your post was very well put. Hopefully, I can get back to you on it.
Vinci

#222231 - 01/15/06 03:05 PM Re: TKD traditional training methods [Re: Paulol]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Hi

My brother and I often practice self defense and kick boxing sparring, when we practice traditional one/three step sparring we used to use deep forward stances, but hen we realize that in a real confrontation they would not be effective. We have found that the walking/upright fighting stances of modern/sports taekwondo are more effective, similr to a western boxing style stance. I suoppose we value mobility over sturdiness, however, we feel we maintain good balances with our fighting stance + mobility. If you notice now adays, many jujitsu schools no longer favor straditional deep stances, they now practice using shorter upright more mobile stances. Because this allows for greater speed. Have you ever seen Wally Jays "small circle jujitsu"
Vinci

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga