FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#221835 - 01/12/06 12:37 PM Weight and Health
fiXXXer Offline

Hi everyone,
I've been trying to lose weight for a few years. I'm not 'fat', but I am big. Currently, I take four martial arts classes a week (two ITF TKD, two WTF TKD), and go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week, where I start with a warm-up, run a mile, light weights, then do a 2 or 3 mile run to end (and I sometimes practice my kicks too).
The problem is that I canít seem to lose fat. I donít so-much care about my weight, as long as it is from muscle and not fat.
My diet isnít horrible, either, and it is certainly better than what a lot of my friends eat, who donít exercise at all, and are still a lot thinner than me.
A normal days eatingís:
Breakfast: One or two bowls of Raisin Bran.
Lunch: Grilled chicken sandwich or chicken cheese steak sub.
Dinner: If I eat, itís usually something fast. Maybe a chicken quesadilla, one slice of pizza, burrito, etcÖ
I drink either one or two liters of water a day, and maybe two or three cans of soda a week, though sometimes none.
I have some M&Ms during the week, too, though not many (a handful of the peanut ones)

I am mainly interested in fat-lossÖ Can anyone make any recommendations?

I also forgot to mention, that I am _always_ tired, be it after 4, 8 or 12 hours of sleep.
I always feel drained. I've been to two different doctor's about it. They both gave me blood test, which were okay, and checked me for other things, all of which looked okay. They suggested maybe stress or depression, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Also, I get dizzy all the time, usually while turning - not only spinning in martial arts, but simply turning while walking or standing. I get dizzy, my vision goes blurry and I feel like I'll fall over. This sometimes happens while simply sitting at a desk, too.
It only lasts for 1 to 3 seconds, but I simply can't figure out the problem.

Thank you,
Kyle

Edited by fiXXXer (01/12/06 12:45 PM)

#221836 - 01/12/06 02:40 PM Re: Weight and Health [Re: fiXXXer]
mouli Offline

Loc: Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
Hi Dude,

I think you are over straining yourself..May be I wud be wrong..
The reason I say is, I also felt so tired when I did 4 classes of Muay Thai training and 3 days of excercising(mainly cardio and conditioning) a week.
Then I cut down to 3 classes of Muay Thai and 2 days of exercising.
Now I'm perfectly fine.
Thats what I feel.Try it...May be it'll work for you.
Good Luck.

Mouli

#221837 - 01/12/06 03:48 PM Re: Weight and Health [Re: mouli]
fiXXXer Offline

If so, starting Kumodo and Ju-Jitsu, in addition to my current TKD, won't help. :-/
We'll see.

#221838 - 01/17/06 11:44 PM Re: Weight and Health [Re: fiXXXer]
Subedei Offline

Excercise shouldn't make you tired, at least that much excercise shouldn't if your system is used to it.

Your diet looks pretty good, could be improved though. You could completely cut the soda for one thing, soda being one of the worst things you could possibly consume if intending to lose fat.

If you feel tired all the time try changing your diet until you find something that makes you feel more lively. Pasta or rice dishes before practice for instance makes me feel downright hyperactive. Then again it could be psychological or a number of other issues. Just research and experiment until you find something that works for you.

On the issue of sleeping the best amount seems to be 7.5-8.5 hours, anything less or more probably isn't good for you, try to sleep and get up at the same time every day. You probably know all this but I just thought I'd throw it in.

Back to the issue of diet - Make sure you're getting a good diversity of foods. Eggs are a nice source of protein for instance, but you shouldn't just stick to eggs. Fish, lentils, chicken, turkey, milk, peanuts, almonds and soybeans are all intentionally in my diet for the purpose of adding protein. At least that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

If you're trying to lose weight a diet high in complex carbs may not be the best thing for you...I, however, am not trying to lose weight and so eat these liberally. As I've mentioned before I'm very fond of rice and pasta. I'm also quite partial to french and italian breads but eat those less often.

Not getting enough fruits and vetables can definitally make you feel like crap. Some of the best things you can possibly eat are broccoli and spinach. If you could eat one or both of these every day you'd be better for it. I like to put them in rice and pasta dishes If you like to snack on chips try replacing them with baby carrots. I just can't seem to get enough of these things and have been known to consume entire bags of baby carrots within 10 minutes. Garlic is an excellently healthy spice.

Hmmm, fruits. Apples, peaches, pears, mellons, grapes, oranges, it's all good. I don't keep candy in my house anymore, just fruit

My other big suggestion is to use extra vergin olive oil when cooking instead of that synthetic crap or butter. Works wonders for both taste and health!

Eat a great variety of healthy things, pay attention to how much you need as it varies greatly with activity level, get plenty of excercise and it's actually pretty hard to go wrong with your diet.

I'm sure Cord will be able to give you much for specific insight into your individual needs but I hope this helps anyway.

#221839 - 01/18/06 04:53 AM Re: Weight and Health [Re: fiXXXer]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Hi everyone,
I've been trying to lose weight for a few years. I'm not 'fat', but I am big.

If you are not 'fat' then why do you feel you need to lose weight?

Quote:

Currently, I take four martial arts classes a week (two ITF TKD, two WTF TKD), and go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week, where I start with a warm-up, run a mile, light weights, then do a 2 or 3 mile run to end (and I sometimes practice my kicks too).

Too much!!

Quote:

The problem is that I canít seem to lose fat. I donít so-much care about my weight, as long as it is from muscle and not fat.
My diet isnít horrible, either, and it is certainly better than what a lot of my friends eat, who donít exercise at all, and are still a lot thinner than me.
A normal days eatingís:
Breakfast: One or two bowls of Raisin Bran.
Lunch: Grilled chicken sandwich or chicken cheese steak sub.
Dinner: If I eat, itís usually something fast. Maybe a chicken quesadilla, one slice of pizza, burrito, etcÖ

So you are a big active guy. Does a slice of pizza sound like it will provide all the nutrients you need?

Quote:

I am mainly interested in fat-lossÖ Can anyone make any recommendations?

Keep reading.....

Quote:

I also forgot to mention, that I am _always_ tired, be it after 4, 8 or 12 hours of sleep.
I always feel drained. I've been to two different doctor's about it. They both gave me blood test, which were okay, and checked me for other things, all of which looked okay. They suggested maybe stress or depression, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Also, I get dizzy all the time, usually while turning - not only spinning in martial arts, but simply turning while walking or standing. I get dizzy, my vision goes blurry and I feel like I'll fall over. This sometimes happens while simply sitting at a desk, too.
It only lasts for 1 to 3 seconds, but I simply can't figure out the problem.

Whew!! OK, here goes.

If you have not been tested for diabetes and hypothyroidism then get it done asap. I suspect that thats what your doctor has already done, so presuming these are negative, what you have are all the signs of massive overtraining.

With 4 high volume gym workouts and 4 MA classes per week, you are grinding your body and immune system into the dust.

Overtraining Warning signs
1. permanent fatigue/dizzy spells
2. Depression, or depressive symptoms
3. An inability to lose body fat in relation to exertion
4. Decrease or stagnation in physical performance

There are others, but the above relate strongly to you.

Putting things right.

1. Have a week off. That means no TKD and no gym for 1 whole week. You need to recharge your batteries BADLY!

2. EAT!! How is a big guy training 8 sessions a week soposed to survive on half a burrito as an evening meal!? Follow Subedei's excellent healthy eating advice, and eat portions that reflect your build.

3. OK. You have just had a week of recuperation and lots of good natural food. Hopefully you feel a lot better, with symptoms subsiding or gone completely. If not, back to the doctors with you, If feeling better, its time to reconstruct your weekly regime.

Activity/exercise
With 4 MA classes per week, and more on the horizon (!) you need not worry about extra cardio work in the gym. You just wont need it, so dont do it. What you will need is some good weight training twice per week. HEAVY WEIGHTS, LOW REPS, not only to be kinder to your joints, but to boost your metabolism.
Monday:
Squat 4x5
Shoulder press 4x5

Thursday:
Deadlift 4x5
Bench press 4x5

Not a lot is it? each workout should take you 20-30 mins factoring in a nice (2 minute approx) break between sets. Thats enough. You will get stronger, and your metabolic rate will increase dramaticaly doing this.

EATING

I cant add to further to the good common sense of Subedei's advice, other than to further instill the need to eat in relation to the demands you put on your body. Always go for unprocessed food- better to prepare a proper evening meal in advance than grab rubbish out of convenience. Make good food convenient. (pasta/rice, tuna/chicken, and veg mixed up and kept in tupperware as ready to eat meal is my favourite trick. Its what I take to work).

Overview

You need to train less and eat more to be healthy and lose weight.
Sounds crazy? Think it wont work?
Well, at the moment you are training 8 times a week on a bowl of cereal, a sandwich, and an occasional slice of pizza. You are tired, depressed, and no closer to a 6 pack than homer simpson. Follow the advice, what have you got to lose?

#221840 - 01/20/06 01:50 PM Re: Weight and Health [Re: Cord]
fiXXXer Offline

I have been busy lately, so sorry for the late response.
Subedei: I definitely agree that my diet needs work, and so it will have with your advice. Thank you!

Cord: While I'm not 'fat', I am 'fat', just not very -- I could afford to lose some fat.
I suppose I'll cut back on the gym workouts. I enjoy distance running, though, so I'll experiment with that part.

About the pizza.. You are right. But with Subedei's examples, I'll see how a new diet works.

My doctor has checked me for diabetes and hypothyroidism, both of which were OK.

I've always had a mindset that I "don't need" to eat, except enough to be awake, and I never thought of tieing how I am feeling into me not only not eating right, but not enough.

I've just printed out your two's replys, and I'm going to start on them right away. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you both,
Kyle

#221841 - 01/23/06 01:48 AM Re: Weight and Health [Re: fiXXXer]
Crazy_Eyes Offline

Loc: British Columbia Canada
Yeah man, you gotta eat more! It's your energy source and you'll feel a whole lot better! Eat bigger, but healthier meals. I'm a teenager man, I know how important food is so try eating more, and maybe a snack try a protein bar. I know if I dont get enough food I start to feel like crap too, good luck man.

#221842 - 01/25/06 11:40 AM Re: Weight and Health [Re: Crazy_Eyes]
AshiharaStudent Offline

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
It's weird.... the general rule is:
burn more calories in a day than you put in and you'll lose weight.

But as the guys have said, you need to eat more! I'm not an expert on this but your body also needs energy to break down the food and use it accordingly so even if you are eating the right things it won't have any benefit if you don't eat enough.

For a big guy doing that amount of training you should probably be eating nearer 3500cals a day rather than 2500cals just to keep weight on.

I'm no expert though so don't quote me on this.

Good luck on feeling better though

#221843 - 01/26/06 09:10 AM Re: Weight and Health [Re: AshiharaStudent]
Blaise Offline

I've also heard that if you work out too much and don't eat enough protein especially, your body will freak out, go into starvation mode and store extra fat. That's what happened to me when I tried being vegan for a while. I was working out and eating well but I was gaining weight, or at least not losing any. As soon as I got more protein back in my diet I lost about 15 pounds.

This sounds a little far-fetched, but you also may want to check out something called Ayurveda. It's an old system of balancing your body according to your own body type, which consists of a balance of "doshas", which are like elements almost, to reach. your health potential. Check out the book "Perfect Health" by Deepak Chopra.

Not sure if this link was 'advertising' per se, but if I have doubts I have to act- hence the edit.

Edited by Cord (01/26/06 09:26 AM)

#221844 - 01/26/06 09:54 AM Re: Weight and Health [Re: Blaise]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
'Starvation mode' is more directly related to overall energy intake. If you are on a low calorie diet, the body interperates this as a time of food scarcity,and begins changing in an attempt to keep itself alive. This means a slowing of base metabolic rate, the preservation of body fat as a last resort survival source, and the catabolism of all 'unnecessary' muscle tissue to be used as primary energy source.
This may sound strange, but it works like this:

Fat is a rich energy source, and in times of starvation it is valued highly by the body, and used only in times of dire need.
Muscle tissue, especially in an active body is of a higher volume than is needed for basic function, it also needs energy to maintain it. In starvation mode, with the base metabolism slow, the body decides that your activity level will drop in accordance with your situation, thus you need less muscle.Also, as the muscle is broken down, the less energy is required to maintain the body, thus allowing a further slowing of the metabolism.
Along with all this, any energy (food) you ingest the body does its utmost to process into fat until it really needs it.

All this is why low calorie eating plans for weight loss simply dont work, regardless of if what little food you do eat is comprised of protein, carbs, or fats.

Vegan as a life choice is not something that can just be 'jumped into'. It takes real depth of knowledge to be able to sustain necessary nutrition on such a restrictive plan. It is a choice that should only be made on grounds of religion or conscience. If you dont have issues with omnivorous eating, then veganism shouldnt be treated as a 'slimming plan'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga