FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
kolslaw 1
Bartfast 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#221536 - 01/16/06 07:23 AM Re: Pressure Points 'R Us! [Re: Paulol]
jamesd Offline

Loc: Essex,England
Hi Paulol,

I'm sure your imput will be very welcome here, nice to meet you mate, kind regards,

James.

#221537 - 01/16/06 09:18 AM Re: Pressure Points 'R Us! [Re: jamesd]
Paulol Offline

Quote:

Hi Paulol,

I'm sure your imput will be very welcome here, nice to meet you mate, kind regards,

James.

Cheers James

#221538 - 01/16/06 10:54 AM Re: Pressure Points 'R Us! [Re: Paulol]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
old school x 'block',

opponent pushes you and raises arm to round punch with right arm.

just step forward, direct and drive your left arm into neck (radial bone), grab collar, then land a right punch into eye, holding them in place for impact power.

The 'performance' of x blocks in kata is often done as a simultaneous move, my belief is that one arm arrives a split second before the other, ie it can be 2 techniques done as one flow.

It works just as well done below (hammer fist, not forearm initial strike, grab, ouch), but im not even going there!

Interesting PP stuff here, sorry to jut in with me 'down the mines' approach!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do I get a prize ?????????????????

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#221539 - 01/17/06 06:50 AM Re: Pressure Points 'R Us! [Re: shoshinkan]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Quote:

Do I get a prize ?????????????????

Yep GB20 voucher in the post! Claim it when we next met!

Some good suggestions thus far. The classic "X-block" application is a shot to the throat then doing a lapel choke. ST9 is a pretty nice shot for this. When applying the lapel choke you can also roll your knuckles up and into the stomach meridian from ST10 up to ST9. Also when doing the x-block into ST9, hitting in and up at a 45 degree will take the body up onto the balls of the feet and destroying the posture completely, a lapel grab combined with bringing the hands back towards the hips adds a lot of power to a headbutt.

Another application is to step to the outside of punch and attacking into the SP21 area with the lower hand in and down which will arch the body over for a lovely shot to TW17 or GB20 with the other fist.

Top stuff guys. Brian, hopefully thats given you some stuff to think about!

Next customer please!

Gav

#221540 - 01/19/06 05:50 AM Re: Pressure Points 'R Us! [Re: Gavin]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
I like hitting people in the neck! Which pp would be best to aim for? What is the proper angle and direction? In what manner should I strike? Shuto etc..? What should the other hand be doing?

I find that neck strikes are open as soon a person has attempted to hit or push you from the front.
What do you think?

*please swipe card here*

#221541 - 01/19/06 03:37 PM Re: Pressure Points 'R Us! [Re: BrianS]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
Quote:

I like hitting people in the neck! Which pp would be best to aim for? What is the proper angle and direction? In what manner should I strike? Shuto etc..? What should the other hand be doing?

I find that neck strikes are open as soon a person has attempted to hit or push you from the front.
What do you think?

*please swipe card here*

That's what I wanted to ask! Where did you found my questions notebook? I lost the damn thing somehow!

We have a bunkai on ten i no kata (gensei-ryu derivative) where some great shots at the neck could be created.

#221542 - 01/19/06 04:54 PM Re: Pressure Points 'R Us! [Re: BrianS]
Paulol Offline

Quote:

What do you think?

*please swipe card here*

Ooooo! I get here first

If you are talking about a straight forward Shuto then there is a sweet point right on the side of the neck called SI-16.
http://www.acuxo.com/meridianPictures.asp?point=SI16&meridian=Small%20Intestine

if you are looking to hit on the rearside of the neck then BL-10 is nice...
http://www.acuxo.com/meridianPictures.asp?point=BL10&meridian=Bladder
there are other point i like to hit on the neck but i use a more or a rubbing strike that a straight hit.

i've just tried to keep this to the context you requested

#221543 - 01/21/06 09:00 AM Re: Pressure Points 'R Us! [Re: BrianS]
underdog Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mansfield, MA U.S.A.
I love hitting people in the neck too! There are some factors that make it lots of fun. One is density. There are so many points in the neck that if you go in with a large weapon like your forearm, you have to hit something. Go for the edges of the lines of muscles.

Secondly, many neck points can be hit from more than one direction. LI 18 for example, my early reading from DKI sources always said hit it straight in towards the opposite LI 18. However, I've had very good results hitting it down and in. More is known about these points than was known in the past.

A third factor to consider is that the neck is very likely to be in motion. Therefore, your target has to be robust enough, either because you've had success with multiple directions or because there are so many points around, that the movement can be forgiven.

I think the most important factor in getting successful neck strikes is how you are directing energy with your mind. My latest neck practice is with LI 17. I'm directing it towards the core of the body or toward the opposite Lv 13. Hit the opposite Lv 13 at the same time and uke will get a real sick feeling of electricity right through his core.

#221544 - 01/23/06 05:38 AM Re: Torso points? [Re: underdog]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
A poster in the kata forum asked about the u punch,better known as the double punch. It's basically a cross torso punch,one high and one low 45degrees across from eachother.
What would be some good striking points for this move? What does it do?

#221545 - 01/23/06 08:36 AM Re: Torso points? [Re: BrianS]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
To be honest mate I think this pretty much the same as the "X-Block" in terms of striking, only that more emphasis is being place on the striking aspects of the movement. I suppose it could be looked at very much "Yin and Yang" point of view....attacking opposites..hitting higher will weaken the lower, hitting lower will weaken the higher. Same with left and right. Also when looking at bunkai just because the shots are targets at the torso does not always mean the is where we will be targetting. Just because they are aimed at our torso level, we have to think about where we are striking in relation to the level of our opponent....they could be hunched over, for example.

In a lesson I had with Russell the other week he also made an interesting point about the fact that when we see an extended fist we automatically assume its a strike. He said that these movements can often been used as grabs...limbs, joint attacks and cavity attacks, but also as skin and hair pulls. A bit off topic I know, but thought it might interest.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga