FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#221266 - 01/29/06 12:39 AM Re: Iron Palm Training [Re: jamestkdkungfu]
RyuuJitsu Offline

Loc: every where and no where
ok when i say blind in meant it'll stir up your vison after some time of training in iron fist ( i dont know about palm, knifehand, claw, or back hand training ). and it has something to do with the currents of energy building up during training that can lead to eye problems. btw my source is a chi expert. also if your meditating after training this would probably stop the building of currents in your hand and this is probaby what those iron training partioners that you were talking about would do after there training.

#221267 - 01/29/06 10:13 PM Re: Iron Palm Training [Re: RyuuJitsu]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
You know something. . on my believe-o-meter, you have just hit "0".

Your source is a "chi expert". Well my old Sifu did chinese medicine, accupuncture, Tai chi and Ba qi quan. He said practice makes you stronger not weaker. He also said that build up of chi takes almost a life time.

Quote:

currents of energy building up during training that can lead to eye problems.

I don't know if you know this. From what I understand is, current flow from the body into the hand, not opposite. All energy is stored in the center of body, and then flows from there to the rest of the body. I'm not an internal expert but that's what many student told me.

Quote:

your meditating after training this would probably stop the building of currents in your hand

You could just use reverse breathing to stop excess of chi, but there's no need as one can not build up excess of chi unless you have been doing it for the last few years.

That's my 60 yuan.
-Taison out

For other members, please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't trust the other student that much and my old Sifu is dead. Can't imagine myself going to his grave and wake him up just to ask a stupid question.

#221268 - 01/29/06 11:34 PM Re: Iron Palm Training [Re: Taison]
RyuuJitsu Offline

okay whatever do what y'all want it was just a warning from what i was told.

#221269 - 01/29/06 11:57 PM Re: Iron Palm Training [Re: Taison]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Quote:

Quote:

currents of energy building up during training that can lead to eye problems.

I don't know if you know this. From what I understand is, current flow from the body into the hand, not opposite. All energy is stored in the center of body, and then flows from there to the rest of the body. I'm not an internal expert but that's what many student told me.

The yin meridians flow in that direction. What about the yang ones? And I think the energy is stored in the 8 extraordinary vessels, and not the "center".

Quote:

You could just use reverse breathing to stop excess of chi, but there's no need as one can not build up excess of chi unless you have been doing it for the last few years.

You could? Nowhere have I come across this fact. Can you quote a source?

#221270 - 01/31/06 09:59 PM Re: Iron Palm Training [Re: eyrie]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Yang, Jwing-Ming. The book called "Chinese Fast Wrestling for Free Fighting", published by YMAA. I think page 34-36, about the qigong. That's what he says.

I don't know if that's true though. Never used it for that purpose. As I said, I'm not an expert at internal chi development.

I know a good solution to this discussion. Let's all just go and ask ButterflyPalm. His hobby is Chi cultivation, so I think he knows a lot more then we do, right?

-Taison out

#221271 - 02/01/06 03:31 PM Re: Iron Palm Training [Re: ShikataGaNai]
HellHoundClan Offline

I took Southern Praying Mantis and we had a technique where you would put a thin piece of bamboo, lay it on a table and roll and rotate your fore arms/hands along the bamboo on the table. That and of course a little DDJ/Tiger Balm b4 & after. Regards!

#221272 - 02/09/06 11:18 PM Re: Iron Palm Training [Re: HellHoundClan]
RyuuJitsu Offline

did your forearms or palms get like a sweatyish feel to it?

#221273 - 02/17/07 06:46 AM Re: Iron Palm Training [Re: Savate]
Peter32 Offline

I have not done the years of External Iron Palm that would be required to give you a definitive answer as to whether it is truly detrimental to your health; I only have what I've observed in other (older) practitioners.

While I know that it can mess up your knuckles something good, I haven't seen anyone at the Uechi-Ryu school around here (and they do have Makiwara posts). From much of what I read, the development of deformed hands is due to incorrect practice.

A proper Makiwara starts at 4x4 at the base, then tapers to about an inch (I've heard 5/8 of an inch in some articles) at the top; that's where you hit it. It should have a good amount of give to it. A lot of the people with messed up knuckles use something thicker with less give; or even worse they use a wall-mounted Makiwara, which is more or less hitting a wall with a cushion on top.

I conferred with my Sifu before starting it, and he had no problem with it when I told him the type of Makiwara I was using.

#221274 - 02/17/07 08:56 AM Re: Iron Palm Training [Re: Peter32]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
I think the key statement here is "training properly".
If you use the wrong type of equipment or do the training exercise wrong you will not have the desired effects.

I would not say that I have done extensive iron palm training, but my hands have been conditioned over the years of hitting practice I have done.
When I broke my hand and they took x-rays they were astonished at the density of my bones. They were not callused or deformed. The impact of striking heavy bags etc. over the years has caused the bones to solidify.
One of the ideas behind the practice of iron palm and iron bone training in general is that shock to the bones will cause them to gain density by having the layers of marrow inside become solid.
I think that some conditioning of the bones is a good and healthy practice. However, excess of anything can be detrimental. I do some light bouncing and shaking exercises when I do qigong and I also spend time conditioning my limbs by training on the heavy bags and with my class mates. Essentially training is going to make you stronger at what the training method was developed for.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga