FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 61 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#220718 - 01/08/06 09:17 PM Answer to can you teach yourself JKD
Alan_JKDTKDHKD Offline
Stranger

Yes, I believe you can teach yourself JKD as long as you have the determination and perseverance. I was an athlete all my life with very little Martial Arts training compared to Bruce Lee. I read his books, opened my mind, and began studying Wing Chun, and Jeet Kune Do. I did this with his books. I later learned from pictures Bruce Lee was doing the same basic exercises I was practicing.

Although, I have great desire to train JKD with Sifu Inosanto I do not know when that may happen. He is in California, and I am in Washington D.C. However, I continue to train TKD, and during sparring I begin to understand everything Bruce Lee wrote at a feeling and experiencing level and achieving above the reading comprehension level.

Yes, reading books does improve a person's martial arts ability. That is how Shaolin Monks did it according to legend.

#220719 - 01/08/06 09:44 PM Re: Answer to can you teach yourself JKD [Re: Alan_JKDTKDHKD]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Uh, ironically, your answer to the question IS correct. But not by the ways you discussed in your post.

You don't even need a JKD instructor to "learn" JKD. Reading books MAY help your martial arts.....or it may not. You have to put your reading into actual training to get much benefit from it.

As far as the Shaolin monks, I have a feeling that they trained a lot more than they read.

#220720 - 01/11/06 11:15 AM Re: Answer to can you teach yourself JKD [Re: Alan_JKDTKDHKD]
Stone Carver Offline
Thinker

Loc: Dixie
I learned JKD from a book.
And I know I have a good understanding of it because when I
sit and think about it I find I draw some of the same conclusions that Bruce himself talked about.
Besides I think most MAs can't be learned from books because of their exacting movements.

Stone Carver

#220721 - 01/11/06 11:51 AM Re: Answer to can you teach yourself JKD [Re: Alan_JKDTKDHKD]
QuietGal Offline

Loc: Missouri
You can teach yourself the philosophy of JKD from a book. Learning from a book is relatively easy as long as you comprehend what is being said and can apply said philosophy to yourself. However, to learn JKD (in whatever branch/style/whatever you want to call it) from a practical and real-life application, you need to learn it from another person, preferably one that is qualified to teach their form of JKD.

As an example, much of the stuff I learned in college about teaching provided a decent foundation, however the stuff that was the most useful I learned while teaching - while actually doing it. The same here with JKD, IMO. The books can give you a good foundation for the philosophy and some of the practices, nothing beats learning it in a real-life/as close to real-life setting. I learned more from doing it (that was not ment to sound dirty) than reading the Tao of JKD or other books out there on the market.

Just so others know and I don't get flamed, I am not wanting to start another debate on what is the true style of JKD. I DON'T CARE! You go to your dojo and I'll go to mine and we can all get along depsite our minor differences of opinion Heck, I might even bake you some cookies to celebrate our differences!

#220722 - 01/11/06 03:33 PM Re: Answer to can you teach yourself JKD [Re: QuietGal]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
QuietGal is right on. You can learn about JKD from books. You learn JKD by actually doing it with partners. This is true for all arts, not just JKD.

*cough chocolatechip cough*

#220723 - 01/12/06 11:36 AM Re: Answer to can you teach yourself JKD [Re: MattJ]
QuietGal Offline

Loc: Missouri
Holy snot buckets Batman! MattJ is agreeing with me???!!!??? I'll be sure to get those cookies baked asap

I personally don't get alot from the books like The Tao of JKD. Books were helpful in gaining an understanding of the history of the art and the philosophy, but the actual explainations of the forms and such did not make much sense to me until I saw the stuff live. But if someone can glean some sort of knowledge from them then that's great, but it's not everything that the art is and can be about.

#220724 - 01/15/06 10:33 PM Re: Answer to can you teach yourself JKD [Re: QuietGal]
Kentao5 Offline

Loc: Mount Joy, Pa.
One can get a JKD education from books, but finding "your" JKD is all about the "experience and application" of that knowledge. The written word is for reference, and like road signs, they can point you in a direction, but you still have to actally take the journey. It's like you can read all the information and be well educated in how to bench press 500 lbs., but if that is your goal, you have got to put in the gym time.
Enjoy your training,
Ken

#220725 - 01/16/06 02:37 PM Re: Answer to can you teach yourself JKD [Re: Kentao5]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
If you are reading into Martial arts books then there is a good chance that you already have some martial experience. If that is the case then I most certainly think that you can learn from a book. The techniques from one style to the next are pretty much universal. A punch is still just a punch.The book will attempt to show you how to punch but thats not the heart and soul of the book. You already know how to punch. The book is there to help you understand when and why you punch. Or why you dont. By applying the philosophy of a style you have learnt the style for yourself. When you learn the philosophy from a dojo you dont learn the style for yourself but how the Sensie or Sifu made the style work for HIM. There is a freedom in learning from a book in that you dont have an outside influence to mold you to their fitting. You can try things on your own and decide how they suit you. How your particular makeup reacts to certain situations and how well you can react to those things using the tools given you.

So learn the book, then yourself, and finally your opponent. Then when thats done, reflect on what you have learned and learn about yourself all over again.

If you do not have prior experience in the arts then the road will be much harder for you. Your mechanics may be off. You may not understand all of the terms used. And since you are new, you will second guess your movements and judgements constantly. Thats all ok. Get the book. Then join a class. Preferablly under the same style you are reading but it doesnt have to neccessarily be. Then practice and read. Discuss the books with senior members of the dojo or even the Sifu himself. All after class of course. As you progress in the classroom, advance in the book. Try ideas that you have learned or practicing from the book and see what works and what doesnt in the safety of a dojo before you have to find out the hard way.

#220726 - 01/16/06 10:15 PM Re: Answer to can you teach yourself JKD [Re: Alan_JKDTKDHKD]
Stone Carver Offline
Thinker

Loc: Dixie
Sure if you have no experience then there's likely no chance
of learning from a book. But if you have combat experience and an understanding of the martial arts then a book can help guide you to "your" Jeet Kune Do.
I've delved into several martial arts and have PLENTY of fighting experience. I,ve used my jeet kune do to great success.

Stone Carver

#220727 - 01/18/06 11:17 PM Re: Answer to can you teach yourself JKD [Re: Alan_JKDTKDHKD]
AndrewGreen Offline
shadow-lurker

Well, when you really get into it, you realise that the name Jeet Kun Do is used to show a lineage, not a specific style. Different JKD groups can be worlds apart.

But that's not the spirit of the question...

You can learn a lot from books and videos, In fact without any instructor ever you can still learn a lot.

But, and this is a big but, you do need people to train against. Same as you can get quite good at basketball playing on the street with friends and no cach, you can get good at fighting too. But you need opponents, and will be limited by their abilities as well.

It's also going to be a lot slower, if you have a good coach they will pick up mistakes right away, and correct them right away. Starting from scratch with other new guys will not get that, it might take months or years for them to figure out how to capitalize on the mistake, and equally long to figure out the way to fix it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga