FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#220728 - 01/19/06 03:42 PM Re: Answer to can you teach yourself JKD [Re: AndrewGreen]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
excellent posts.

#220729 - 01/20/06 01:40 PM Re: Answer to can you teach yourself JKD [Re: Chen Zen]
kroh Offline

Loc: Rhode Island, USA
The other thing you have to understand is that Jeet Kune Do like some of the other posters have said is a very "Hands on experience" that starts with a core cirriculum and then builds on or discards it as the individual continues to learn and grow (or suffer massive contusions that they show all their freinds). I read the Tao of Jeet Kune Do years before I ever took JKD (been into it since '98) and I have to tell you i wasn't prepared for the level of skill or practice that it took to get even a fraction of what was needed for it to be "combat capable."

When training with the likes of Dan Inosanto or Kevin Seaman, you get a feel for how the "beast moves" and can really see how much work you have to do. This isn't some kata that you do by yourself in your basement while you are waiting to play video games with your friends. This is a serious martial art that requires lots of partner work and correction from a qualified instructor.

Like others have said, you can learn about JKD from a book but you can't learn it from a book.

Books and videos are fine but an instructor is really needed to keep an eye on things to make sure that you are doing some thing right. You would be surprised how much difference a few degrees in a movement can make in whether or not it is combat effective or not. If you really want to learn JKD (And not this business about putting some concepts together and calling it JKD, but that deserves its own thread) find an instructor worth his salt and get there even if it is only a few times a week/ month /year and the rest of the time is by book or video. At least you will have a "contact" that can check your stuff out.

If you need help finding an instructor near you contact me and I will see what I can do for you.

Regards,
Walt

#220730 - 07/07/07 12:34 AM Re: Answer to can you teach yourself JKD [Re: Alan_JKDTKDHKD]
UnknownFighter Offline

Loc: unknown
jeet kune do can not be taught by anyone. Lee wanted people to understand that you can learn anything with the right training regime. You can teach your self from a book, how ever without personal attention you should be training harder then Lee would. Running and endurance are a huge training must in learning jkd.

#220731 - 07/07/07 09:41 AM Re: Answer to can you teach yourself JKD [Re: AndrewGreen]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
To an extent, EVERYONE teaches themselves JKD. As it isn't a style (in my and Lee's opinion), who outside of yourself can teach it?

As JKD is about developing the truth in combat as it occurs to the individual, that is ultimately a personal experience based on experiential learning.

Certainly you can have coaches and guides along the way. But JKD isn't affiliated with any one specific style (wing chun or otherwise).

I believe that there are specific principles that make JKD what it is. But those again aren't governed by any specific style.

Economy of motion is found in a PLETHORA of styles from wing chun to boxing.

The five ways of attack are found EVERYWHERE, etc., etc.

Simplicity, daily decrease, rejecting the useless...those are all things that the individual has to discover for himself. It isn't "handed-down" information from one instructor to another.

This handed down information and blind adherence to that is what ultimately "waters down" martial arts. IMO.

-John

#220732 - 07/07/07 02:22 PM Re: Answer to can you teach yourself JKD [Re: JKogas]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Simplicity, daily decrease, rejecting the useless...those are all things that the individual has to discover for himself

Maybe to a point, but rejecting the useless is often a matter of not uderstanding what it is they are rejecting.

There are plenty of things I dismissed early on only to rediscover from the insight of another.

Training on your own is a double edged sword, besides before you can be an artist you must first be a craftsman.

#220733 - 07/07/07 05:47 PM Re: Answer to can you teach yourself JKD [Re: Kimo2007]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Maybe to a point, but rejecting the useless is often a matter of not uderstanding what it is they are rejecting.

Thats sort of a moot point. If you don't or can't understand something, perhaps its not meant for you? In that case, wouldn't that be worth rejecting?

Considering there are only so many hours in a day, we simply don't have TIME to understand everything, right?

That's why daily decrease becomes so important. You have to simplify. You have to have a simple game.

Quote:

There are plenty of things I dismissed early on only to rediscover from the insight of another.

So you accept them now rather than reject them. Maybe later you will reject them again. Who knows? The thing is that it's an individual process. Only YOU know what you should be accepting or rejecting.

Quote:

Training on your own is a double edged sword, besides before you can be an artist you must first be a craftsman.

I don't advocate learning on your own/by yourself. That wasn't anything that I suggested anywhere -- just to clarify. However the process of discovery is individual and this is basically what I meant by teaching yourself JKD. You don't really teach it, you discover or uncover it. That can't be done by anyone but yourself.

Learning is ultimately experiential in nature. You learn by doing in other words. The best teachers just teach fundamentals as I mentioned. They don't OVER teach. They let you play and allow you to make mistakes and "problem solve". You will learn better through this approach.

Then whatever is taught becomes yours and is infused with your OWN style (your own JKD) by way of your own unique physiology and tendencies. That's how we learn and grow into seasoned fighters.

-John

#220734 - 07/07/07 07:47 PM Re: Answer to can you teach yourself JKD [Re: JKogas]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Thats sort of a moot point. If you don't or can't understand something, perhaps its not meant for you?

Maybe but more and more I see kids, who have neither the experience or patience to learn, dismissing entire arts as worthless. In principle I agree with you, but only after someone has enough knowledge and experience to make these kinds of choices.

Quote:

However the process of discovery is individual and this is basically what I meant by teaching yourself JKD.

True enough, I am just a fundemental fanatic, be it MA, football, basketball or whatever. I so often see MA's with years of experience and terrible fundamentals. I see it all the time when I play basketball, kids with unreal ability but never being coached, learning and ingraining bad habits they will never shake and thus never be the player the could or should.

To be completely honest though John, I hear what you are saying and I agree with you, I am just bored and my wife won't let me go out and drink beer.

-Kimo

#220735 - 07/07/07 11:18 PM Re: Answer to can you teach yourself JKD [Re: Kimo2007]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Maybe but more and more I see kids, who have neither the experience or patience to learn, dismissing entire arts as worthless. In principle I agree with you, but only after someone has enough knowledge and experience to make these kinds of choices.

Absolutely! I agree with you completely.

Quote:

True enough, I am just a fundemental fanatic, be it MA, football, basketball or whatever. I so often see MA's with years of experience and terrible fundamentals. I see it all the time when I play basketball, kids with unreal ability but never being coached, learning and ingraining bad habits they will never shake and thus never be the player the could or should.

Excellent points. Fundamentals are everything.

Quote:

To be completely honest though John, I hear what you are saying and I agree with you, I am just bored and my wife won't let me go out and drink beer.

-Kimo

I hear ya Kimo. Bring the beer in if you can't get out, lol.

-John

#220736 - 08/17/07 04:51 PM Re: Answer to can you teach yourself JKD [Re: AndrewGreen]
ironsifu Offline

Loc: sacramento, CA
you can "teach" yourself anything. but thats like the saying "a man who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client".

no offense, but that's like a child who raised himself. or a guy who reads first aid books instead of going to a doctor. it only makes *some* sense when you have no teachers around, but the world is very small, and if you really want to learn something you travel to a teacher. if your not willing to do that, you really dont want to learn.

#220737 - 08/17/07 06:45 PM Re: Answer to can you teach yourself JKD [Re: Alan_JKDTKDHKD]
Alabama_Samurai Offline

YES and NO. At any rate you DO need a training partners that you can try you technique out on. People did creat martial arts. They didn't alawys exist. So, yes, one CAN teach themself, but it is always best to seek instruction under a good, competent, knowledgeable instructor.

Think of it in terms of mathematical systems. It's going to be hard to invent calculus with just a basic knowledge of numbers. It's better to go to college and work your way to it. Same thing with martial arts.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga