FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
ergees 3
futsaowingchun 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#220683 - 01/11/06 03:52 AM Re: "Fight Like a Girl" Rape Escape [Re: tuxette]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
I'm going to agree with tuxette here. I think seminars are helpful,BUT the right seminars are more helpful. This one seems to promote paranoia just to rake in money IMO.
Seminars to me should just give someone the awareness that they need more SD training. Techniques shown must be practiced many,many times to be effective. The techniques shown in most SD seminars are forgotten within a couple of weeks anyway. Lay off the seminars and get to a good SD training school.

#220684 - 01/11/06 04:39 AM Re: "Fight Like a Girl" Rape Escape [Re: BrianS]
tuxette Offline

Loc: Norway
Forgotten within a couple of weeks?! More like within a couple of days!

I'm a newbie at KM, and I still have to stop and think over my counterattack (i.e. "what was I supposed to do here? Oh yeah, right") when my opponent in class does some kind of attack or other (though it's not as bad as the very beginning). The counterattacks will eventually become "instinctive" reactions, but only with practice, practice, and more practice.

#220685 - 01/11/06 10:16 AM "Fight Like a Girl" Rape Escape [Re: Lori]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Lori:

We are all saddened, and humbled by the situation which you endured. For whatever it might be worth, we are truly sorry... and yet, glad you stayed alive.

Seminars, ANY seminar unless the information is ingrained daily, used often will not be imprinted on your body-mind sufficently well to become trained instinct. It will help planting new seeds, new ideas but in order to grow.. those ideas must be nurtured, carefully grown, fed.

We cannot drop a ~few seeds~ into hard ground and believe they will take root. Krav Magda, this seminar are wonderful things for what they represent & perform.

In order to make peace with the fears, old, new or something never even considered... long term study is better still I would offer. There we all face, explore old ghosts of different types. (In time one hopes we teach them peace).

I am not a woman, and likely incapable of understanding your experience(s) at a crucial level because of that truth. We hope the seminar is most helpful for you....

Sincerely,
Jeff

#220686 - 01/11/06 01:42 PM Re: "Fight Like a Girl" Rape Escape [Re: Ronin1966]
Lori Offline

Thank you, Jeff. You're very kind.

I'll skip details, so here's the short version: It was a guy I knew for a year. He totally surprised me. Fortunately though, I was as lucky as I was unprepared. Another man heard me yelling, pushed in the bedroom door and pulled the first guy off of me.

I was shaken but fine. He did me a favor in a way by showing me how little I knew about self defense.

I certainly understand we can't fully learn these techniques in a couple of hours. I won't be giving up Krav any time soon, so no worries there. I suppose I would just like some practice time devoted to addressing what was my biggest problem: a heavier guy on top of me, and me unable to flip him off.

I wonder if I can approach our instructor and ask him if he might consider bumping that up in the curriculum.

#220687 - 01/11/06 04:43 PM Re: "Fight Like a Girl" Rape Escape [Re: Lori]
tuxette Offline

Loc: Norway
Have you learned the defense where you are lying on the ground and someone is up on top of you choking you? If not, ask your instructor to teach you that.

I've also improvised defenses against bigger guys on top of me holding my arms down by my wrist. More difficult to get out of (now anyway) but not impossible.

#220688 - 01/14/06 07:02 PM Re: "Fight Like a Girl" Rape Escape [Re: Lori]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Lori -
Your situation is exactly the kind of reason why I study Krav as something I want to teach others some day. I think sexual violation is the lowest of the low offenses one human being can commit to another and it is completely intolerable.

I am also sorry to hear that your school, and your perception of Krav, have presented you with too much masculinism. Again, I think you should visit POW sometime. Sifu Katalin is about 5' tall and must weigh around 100 lbs, and she is the greatest SD instructor I have ever seen. When she introduces a technique, she will often demonstrate the difference between doing it on someone of similar size versus someone much larger. Sifu Dino is great too, but his approach is more about toughening. ("I don't care if she's a girl, hit!") Also, 70% of the Krav classes are female. I've had days where I get my a$$ kicked by some very skilled women. And there are always a fair amount of beginners and everywhere in between.

There has been an increasing number of women in the BJJ classes as well. I roll with a few different girls and I think it's been beneficial for my mental conditioning. It requires a high degree of maturity to roll with the opposite sex and it allows women to get comfortable sparring men. What better training could there be for the real thing than to break down the gender barriers to begin with?

People's mentalities make them victims - not their sex, size or strength. I think you are totally right in your reasons for wanting to check out that seminar, but I also think you need to build the confidence in yourself as a force to be reckoned with. Trust me, I am a small guy and I look like I could be broken in half easily, but training has given me an inner strength that can manifest itself externally when the time comes. Whatever you do, just remember that you're not a victim and no one has the power to make you one.

Stay up, girl!

#220689 - 01/14/06 07:26 PM Re: "Fight Like a Girl" Rape Escape [Re: ShikataGaNai]
Lori Offline

Thank you!

I'm not unhappy with my school and all the testosterone flying around. It actually has really helped build my confidence in other ways. If anything, I'm more confident about taking these other, extra courses now. Prior to Krav, I would have been very nervous.

POW does sound great! I'm trying to nudge my cousin in your direction, as he's closer to POW than where I train.

I have noticed more and more girls in class as of late (especially after the New Year). To be fair, I've never approached my instructor about working more on groundwork and such. And he's a very easy going, supportive guy. I bet if I asked (like Tuxette suggested), he'd be willing to either work on this stuff in class more OR provide something privately for those interested. With more girls in class, I think we'd have enough to perhaps have a separate little seminar of our own (unless the guys WANT to join us...that's fine with me too).

#220690 - 01/15/06 04:03 PM Re: "Fight Like a Girl" Rape Escape [Re: Lori]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Good!
Groundwork is very important, and I can't stress it's relevance enough. The ground is where you really get into trouble - much more than you would backed into a wall. There is no out, only THROUGH. The most useful part is to learn how to hold out long enough to make your escape, like how you turn into a choke or grab the attacker's arm in such away that allows you to continue breathing. From here you can build your escapes and counter attacks. Anyway, I hope you pursue some ground technique and bring as many girls with you, as this is where most male attackers take their female victims, and we don't need anymore of that in this world. Good luck!

#220691 - 01/17/06 09:51 AM "Fight Like a Girl" Rape Escape [Re: Lori]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Lori:

<<He totally surprised me.

Would that it could be otherwise... self-defense, children, adults, man or woman does not often (unfortunately) give massive warning signals. Unforunately for most, once those signals are read clearly... the danger is "touch" close (ie 15' too near)! It would be nice if dangerous situations came with a huge neon light, flashing at a speed equivelent to the potential danger. Some we can "read" once we're shown what to look for... others as in your situation... less can be done in most (yet not all) respects.

<<I was shaken but fine.

The damage was serious but not as horrible as it had the potential to be. That does not diminish what happened to you in the least... one hopes anybody who has such experience can find counsel, help to reduce ones ~ghosts~
and scars of such horrible events.

<<I suppose I would just like some practice time devoted

<Respectful gentle shrug> Then raise your voice... ask the instructor in whatever forum is best for you. If there is any question whether they will address the problem, ask as publically, as clearly as you can...

<<I wonder if I can approach our instructor

<Appalled> If there is ANY question in that regard, politely consider seeking another instructor... (again respectfully)!!! Your ability to apprach the instructor, ANY instructor should be virtually ~sacrosanct~ and with no impediments what so ever. If they are unapproachable... cannot be spoken with as a fellow adult... personally, I find dire problems there...

Hopefully I misperceived what you meant in that regard,
J

#220692 - 01/17/06 12:16 PM Re: "Fight Like a Girl" Rape Escape [Re: Ronin1966]
Lori Offline

No, no...he's a great guy! Very approachable. I've never opened my mouth about any of this, so he has no clue. It's up to me to ask him.

As for warning signs, I was reading about this on nononsensedefense.com , and the guy who grabbed me had a few things in common with the profile. Not to say that profile is 100% right all the time (I think even they point that out), but I found the similarities interesting.

This guy acheived a decent sense of familiarity with me before this all happened. I had known him for a full year. He was, in fact, my best friend's boyfriend. So it's possible any warning signs I might have seen were easy to dismiss.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga