FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (MattJ), 67 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
Jeff_G 1
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#220703 - 02/20/06 04:17 AM Re: "Fight Like a Girl" Rape Escape [Re: Rayachick]
tuxette Offline

Loc: Norway
We do groundwork in our classes. If you want it in yours, ask your instructor.

#220704 - 02/20/06 12:40 PM Re: "Fight Like a Girl" Rape Escape [Re: Rayachick]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
I have no idea what your curriculum covers, but even if it's "LA Krav" there should be coverage of how to escape the mount, kick an opponent who's standing over you (fighting from the ground position) and how to get back up on your feet quickly. We do drills where we move around the floor in a sitting position with only one hand to block while a partner tries to pass the guard and land a punch to the head. This is a basic building block where many of KM's ground defenses evolve from. Also, the choke, bearhug and head/wrist/leg lock escapes are paramount to self defense, I would think especially for women. The thing you won't get from the ground fighting aspects of Krav are armbars, kimuras, triple threat positions and all the other stuff that makes BJJ BJJ. But realisically there's no need for any of that. None of those techniques are conducive to escaping from an attacker or knocking his @$$ out. Stick with it, you'll get there and remember that there are some great, knowledgable people on this forum who are always willing to help

#220705 - 02/20/06 10:18 PM Re: "Fight Like a Girl" Rape Escape [Re: ShikataGaNai]
Rayachick Offline

Loc: Missouri, USA
Yeah i'm still a newbie to Krav so i guess i was just looking to learn it all now because i was attacked twice in my life and i felt horrible. I like that fact that i defended myself in a club a few weeks ago. Some jerk ttried to "press up" on me. it freaked me out so i spun and nailed him with an elbow to the head. he was mad and cussed at me a lot but i walked away. It felt so good to do that to him. Especially since i look little and people think it's ok to overpower me. Funny thing is, i'm changing jobs so i can be closer to the Krav center that i learn at. I have to drive almost an hour to get there now, so i'm going to work about 40 minutes from my house so i can go after work. I think i found a new love besides skydiving and racing.

#220706 - 02/21/06 06:47 AM Re: "Fight Like a Girl" Rape Escape [Re: Rayachick]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

Glad you are enjoying your training and got to use it. But do you think an elbow smach was warrented? Maybe a warning would have suffice? Just curious about the whole situation. Cuz when I used to club, it was common to push up on people cuz it was so crowded.

#220707 - 02/22/06 09:16 AM Re: "Fight Like a Girl" Rape Escape [Re: JasonM]
tuxette Offline

If she means what I think she means with "pressing up", then I would have probably done the same thing...

#220708 - 02/22/06 02:59 PM Re: "Fight Like a Girl" Rape Escape [Re: tuxette]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
There's crowded clubs and people do bump around, but I've seen enough chester a-holes use that as an opportunity to do the 'press up" that you're talking about.
Whether it's agreed with or not, rayachick did exactly what the KM philosophy would have her do by diffusing a compromising situation quickly with a correct amount of force and no holding back. After all, she didn't break anything or put the guy in the hospitsl.
Good show.

#220709 - 02/23/06 06:15 AM Re: "Fight Like a Girl" Rape Escape [Re: ShikataGaNai]
tuxette Offline

I don't know about the laws where the rest of you are, but "pressing up" is a form of assault here.

#220710 - 02/23/06 06:44 AM Re: "Fight Like a Girl" Rape Escape [Re: ShikataGaNai]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

I guess this is the worrier in me taking over. Granted the guy walked away, but i fear that if my training is used, and the person took a blow and dies. What if that elbow, killed the person? So, because they "pressed-up" on someone they are now dead and you are looking at murder charges. Again, I just worry about these things and also not sure what Press up means, but unless he really grinded on her, pressing up happens quit frequently in the clubs. Which is why i stay out of them, because antyhing go down and rather quickly.

my .02

#220711 - 02/24/06 03:26 AM Re: "Fight Like a Girl" Rape Escape [Re: JasonM]
tuxette Offline

My definition of "pressing up" is just that - a *deliberate* grind (or "grind" - there are other things that are done, not sure about the terminology du jour). While most people don't do anything about it, it can be considered an assault in some jurisdictions. If I react with an elbow jab to get him out of my crotch, and the [censored] dies, it would more likely than not be written off as a freak incident/accident than a murder.

#220712 - 02/24/06 05:57 AM Re: "Fight Like a Girl" Rape Escape [Re: tuxette]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

I understand that and I am playing devil's advocate here. But, he dies, how can you prove he grinded you, pressed up, or whatever? I guess the outcome could go either way. And I am sure each situation is different. I guess it all comes down to the judgement of the person being pressed up against.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga