FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
trevek 6
JKogas 5
cxt 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:17 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432446 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#220557 - 01/14/06 12:40 AM Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? [Re: nospoon_TKD]
Mr_Heretik Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bronx NY, USA
Well I'm glad I made the topic since I was thinking about it for a long time. It happened today too, since the Grandmaster was teaching and I had to be at my best. Looks like I'm gonna be sore for a while...

#220558 - 01/16/06 09:45 AM Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? [Re: Mr_Heretik]
TexasTKD Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
This happens to me also, and I have known my instructor for 4 years!!

#220559 - 01/20/06 09:08 PM Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? [Re: Mr_Heretik]
backkick Offline

Loc: Northern CA
Yeah, I get them sometimes too before class, usually gradings or special classes. Also after doing TKD for past 6 years I started judo (last year or so) and I get butterflies more often before those classes.

#220560 - 01/23/06 07:31 PM Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? [Re: backkick]
Mr_Heretik Offline
Veteran

Oh yeah... does anyone mention the butterflies to anyone in their classes? While I'm sure I'm not the only one in my class that gets them, it seems kind of embarrassing to bring it up.

#220561 - 01/24/06 12:35 AM Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? [Re: Mr_Heretik]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Correct ... have never discussed them with anybody that I can remember ... but you are probably correct that others feel them too.

#220562 - 01/24/06 10:59 AM Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? [Re: Mr_Heretik]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
I don't get nervous before regular classes, but I do get very nervous before testings. At my last one (for red belt) I actually took the day off from work, cause I knew I wouldn't be good for anything. Once testing starts though, I'm fine.

But I used to get very nervious when I had to get up to perform my pattern by myself in front of my instructor. I'd practically be shaking in my dobok. Fortunately, I've gotten over that fear, or at least I thought I had until my instructors instructor visited for a seminar and I had to demonstrate the first move of my pattern. Absolutely completely bombed it the first try. I honestly don't think I could have done worse if I had tried!

And I still get nervous before a patterns competition at tournaments. I often get an adrenillan rush the moment I get called for staging, as annoying as it is, and if I don't have enough time to relax before I actually compete, it really affects my performance. I go too fast, my body feels shaky, etc. The first couple of tournaments, I was so scared, that the only way I managed to get through it was through muscle memory, because I couldn't think straight enough to think about what I was doing.

Laura

#220563 - 01/24/06 01:37 PM Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? [Re: tkd_high_green]
Mr_Heretik Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I don't get nervous before regular classes, but I do get very nervous before testings. At my last one (for red belt) I actually took the day off from work, cause I knew I wouldn't be good for anything. Once testing starts though, I'm fine.

But I used to get very nervious when I had to get up to perform my pattern by myself in front of my instructor. I'd practically be shaking in my dobok. Fortunately, I've gotten over that fear, or at least I thought I had until my instructors instructor visited for a seminar and I had to demonstrate the first move of my pattern. Absolutely completely bombed it the first try. I honestly don't think I could have done worse if I had tried!

And I still get nervous before a patterns competition at tournaments. I often get an adrenillan rush the moment I get called for staging, as annoying as it is, and if I don't have enough time to relax before I actually compete, it really affects my performance. I go too fast, my body feels shaky, etc. The first couple of tournaments, I was so scared, that the only way I managed to get through it was through muscle memory, because I couldn't think straight enough to think about what I was doing.

Laura

That sounds really bad if it gets to level that it interferes with your performance. Is that nervousness only MA related or is it that you normally get nervous when doing things in public? I actually enjoy doing forms in the front of my class, since I'm sure I always do them right(albeit sloppy, heh).

#220564 - 01/24/06 07:01 PM Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? [Re: tkd_high_green]
onb Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:

I'm almost the oposite... I get so calm for my patterns at a tournament. For me, doing a pattern is almost like meditating. It clears my mind, and all I have left is the steps. I'm not saying I do them well per se but I find it totally calming.

In fact, when I was waiting in the hall way for the doctor to finish administering the epidural to my wife when my son was born, I was getting all jittery and nerveous and stuff, well, I started doing my patterns and all the sudden, i was as calm as ever. ... then I walked into the delivery room and the calmness kinda went away but then, you can't be punching and kicking around the room during a c-section.

Now, for the sparring portion of a tournament, I find that a little more "exciting". Then you're competing against a person and if they're better than you, you'll know right away as you get kicked.

#220565 - 01/25/06 04:23 PM Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? [Re: Mr_Heretik]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
I think its more a reaction from being called to staging. Its the oh crap! its time! gotta run back to my gear, run back to staging before its too late etc, and of course your gear, you, and staging are all as far apart as possible! lol. If I have enough time between then and when I actually compete, I'm fine.

The last tournament I competed at, I never even had time to blink before I competed. My instructor was hosting the tournament and I was responsible for running the computers, training, and keeping score for the center ring, while trying to find time to compete! I was still trying to train my replacement and take my socks and shoes off as I was being called compete at another ring. Fumbled for the name of my pattern, slipped, took my second place medal, congratulated my competitor, and ran back to my even more severely paniced replacement. Best tournament I've been too yet! lol

Laura

#220566 - 01/25/06 08:20 PM Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? [Re: tkd_high_green]
Mr_Heretik Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I think its more a reaction from being called to staging. Its the oh crap! its time! gotta run back to my gear, run back to staging before its too late etc, and of course your gear, you, and staging are all as far apart as possible! lol. If I have enough time between then and when I actually compete, I'm fine.

The last tournament I competed at, I never even had time to blink before I competed. My instructor was hosting the tournament and I was responsible for running the computers, training, and keeping score for the center ring, while trying to find time to compete! I was still trying to train my replacement and take my socks and shoes off as I was being called compete at another ring. Fumbled for the name of my pattern, slipped, took my second place medal, congratulated my competitor, and ran back to my even more severely paniced replacement. Best tournament I've been too yet! lol

Laura

Yeesh, that sounds bad. Guess it was a one (wo)man band. Lately I've been getting nervous when getting asked simple yes or no questions.

Ex: I did my form sloppy during a promotion. I was tired both physically and mentally(latter being the worse IMO). Grandmaster asked me if I was practicing. If I said yes, then it'd make it look like I didn't really practice too hard and that I was telling a lie, which I wasn't. If I said no, then well..it makes me look lazy too.

It took me a while to think of how I should respond, I never got to answer when he told me that he could see I was tired and made told me to take a breather and try again. I did it much better. Those questions are hard to answer though, and it often feels like I spend an entire minute thinking.

Dunno if anyone else can relate.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga