FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
Today at 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#220492 - 01/08/06 09:44 PM Re: Martial Art vs. Martial Sport [Re: gojuwarrior1]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
I have studied TKD as both and there is a distinct difference to me, at least from the schools I trained with.

In the Martial Art school (Moo Duk Kwan), I sparred in a street practical method for confrontation and learned hapkido techniques to augment my self defence. We studied some poomse but spent the majority of the time training for practical self defence. We used punching and kicking techniques to the face and all target areas. We used leg strikes to set up other techniques and elbows and knees were used much more frequently than in my other school.

Martial Sport (Kukkiwon), trains for olympic style sparring relying significantly on the roundhouse kick. The majority of the strikes are to the body with no punches to the face and only kicking to the face at the black belt level only. We train for sport copetition with only a small part of the time dedicated to practical self defence.

The sport aspect has helped me and hurt me a bit. The sport aspect is much more demanding physically because the training pushes me to the limits of my stamina. I am in better shape now that I have ever been from a stamina perspective. In having to select which targets I can and cannot strike with certain techniques (punches and no low kicks), I have had to alter my basic sparring/fighting style. In my mind, this has hurt my sparring.

Depending on what you are looking for, either has its benefit. I prefer training for practical self defence but having done so in the past, I can apply what I am studying now to those circumstances. I fight/spar outside of class which helps me to retrain my mind and body to fight without the sporting limitations I put on myself when I am doing olympic style sparring.

There is a definite difference so check things out well before you sign up for a school or for a specific type of training. Make sure it fits your specific needs/desires/goals.

Good luck and have fun,

Scottie

#220493 - 01/09/06 01:06 AM Re: Martial Art vs. Martial Sport [Re: RazorFoot]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Scottie thought my training is not as extensive as yours I find that you have many commonalities with myself in the respect that I've trained both. Your statements:

Quote:

I sparred in a street practical method for confrontation and learned hapkido techniques to augment my self defence. We studied some poomse but spent the majority of the time training for practical self defence. We used punching and kicking techniques to the face and all target areas. We used leg strikes to set up other techniques and elbows and knees were used much more frequently than in my other school.

and

Quote:

Martial Sport (Kukkiwon), trains for olympic style sparring relying significantly on the roundhouse kick. The majority of the strikes are to the body with no punches to the face and only kicking to the face at the black belt level only.

Are much like myself thought kicking the the head was at senior belt (blue and above) or when sparring with somebody you could decide if you wanted to or not should the Instructor say so. As well it wasn't just roundhouses as the primary kick but I would have to say it was for many.

I also agree with

Quote:

The sport aspect is much more demanding physically because the training pushes me to the limits of my stamina.

Sparring one match after another and another and possible 10 times for 1 to 2 minutes each is demanding.

I also agree both have their merrit.

#220494 - 01/09/06 05:45 PM Re: Martial Art vs. Martial Sport [Re: RazorFoot]
EarlWeiss Offline

I had an article published on this topic - The Martial Question - . Check it out at my website. http://www.geocities.com/ustfregion5/What.htm

#220495 - 01/10/06 11:52 AM Re: Martial Art vs. Martial Sport [Re: Dereck]
Hapkid0ist Offline

Loc: Hollyhood, Ca.
A martial art is an art studied as a way of life.
A martial sport is an art where one seeks competative opportunities in a regulated inviroment, be it for cash, trophies, glory. It is where the main goal is competition in a sporting venue and not a life choice.
This being said, some can choose a martial sport and keep it as a martial art. It is completely possible to study and train in something as a life style choice, yet still be competative in the sporting cirucit. Aa martial sport also can cross over to a martial art. It is all in how the practitioner carries it.

#220496 - 01/10/06 12:31 PM Re: Martial Art vs. Martial Sport [Re: Hapkid0ist]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I agree with Sport and Art statemnet. I have some friends now too old to compete they range from Boxers, Wrestlers, MT boxers, Karatekas, TKDs and others once they get too old to compete its over they hang up training and just talk about what could have been & never train again.

Judo seems different its seems to hold the older practitioners through out some times and its usually heavy on competition. Some like Aikido, Jujitsu and Hapkido seem to draw more older students that want to continue training in a Do or self defense art. Not the same we know but the draw is older crowd most of the times. Younger people are attracted to this way also, not ruffle any feathers, I was.

Karate/TKD/Gung/Kungfu/Sialt... the above mentioned and others have a large number of S/D students. Bc its stresses continued growth throughout life.

It only makes sense you can only compete so long, its hard to see a once excellent fighters still fighting a young mans game. Some can compete but its rougher on them, then it was when they were younger.

My last fight people asking when and where was I fighting again. But I knew it was over. Too many near misses on me, too many of me stumbling and just could get there in time. I won that HW division. You really know when it time, some just you live in denial. It not about winning, its about giving your best performance, you know when you can't give 100% anymore, in that arena.

But I am still a Perpetual student of the MAs.

Edited by Neko456 (01/10/06 12:36 PM)

#220497 - 01/10/06 08:48 PM Re: Martial Art vs. Martial Sport [Re: trevek]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Trevek,

Good job I htink your on the right path. At least for me my opinion is currently very similar to yours. Thats why I started this thread so I can add to my conclusion. Right now I can't see a clear distinction between the two. But I hope to come to an understanding real soon.
Vinci

#220498 - 01/11/06 02:39 AM Re: Martial Art vs. Martial Sport [Re: Hapkid0ist]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
I'd question that training in a sport is not also a way of life. I can't see how the sacrifice and discipline needed to successfully train in any sport cannot be considered a way of life.

Let's not forget, many sports people are never that successful at their sports that they win, but they continue training. How many people have trained for years in MA and then find themselves ex-MAists after they get a demanding job, or get married, or move somewhere else. I nearly found myself walking that path after over 10 years of training.

Let's not forget, many sports competitiors become trainers when their competitive career is over. I can think of a number of successful people who first became well known as sports competitors and have since gone on to have successful business or political careers. Can't we say that the discipline and training of their sports training has been useful to them in their careers outside of sports? Surely then we must consider sports can also be a way of life.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#220499 - 01/11/06 06:38 AM Re: Martial Art vs. Martial Sport [Re: gojuwarrior1]
nospoon_TKD Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Amen..

#220500 - 01/11/06 06:41 AM Re: Martial Art vs. Martial Sport [Re: gojuwarrior1]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Goju I love that story. If you find or have anymore like it please let me know. I love reading them and expressing them to my students. Story time kids. woot woot!
Vinci

#220501 - 01/11/06 06:46 AM Re: Martial Art vs. Martial Sport [Re: trevek]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Nice job treek, stick and move baby, stick and move.
I agree sports can defiently be a way of life. Remember guys what makes martial arts different from "just a fighting sytem" is that they teach philosophy, morals, self development through self discipline. TKD whether taught as sport or traditional...is still considered a martial art. BooYaKa!

Keep the posts coming fellas, this duscussion is getting interesting.
Vinci

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga