FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#219680 - 01/03/06 04:15 PM The Kimura
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
One of the first basic attacks that is taught in BJJ is the Kimura or entangled arm/shoulder lock (downward bent). It has also been referred to as a "Chicken Wing" or Figure Four/ Hammer Lock.

Without going into too much detail myself, I'd like to hear how most of you were first taught the technique and what kind of success you have had with it. It is currently a major focus in my no-gi game and applies it self to nearly every upper body attack from the straight armbar to the RNC.

#219681 - 01/03/06 04:28 PM Re: The Kimura [Re: Fletch1]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
This version of the Kimura was one of the first successful submissions I was ever able to use in a grappling match -

http://bjj.org/techniques/bjjfighter/gi/guard/kimura/

Great technique to use from the guard, where I often end up.

#219682 - 01/03/06 04:34 PM Re: The Kimura [Re: MattJ]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Yes, that's a GREAT technique
I tend to rely on the very same one because i only weigh about 140 and everyone else in the class is like 100 lb. heavier. The only submissions I've ever pulled off (all 3) have been from the guard (1 reverse guillotine, 1 kimura and 1 armbar).
I've also found the kimura useful for when you're in the mount and you can't pass your opponents arms to get at their neck/head. Although, I tend to get upa'd off when I go for these...

#219683 - 01/03/06 04:55 PM Re: The Kimura [Re: Fletch1]
fattts14 Offline

Loc: T.O. On, Can
I first learned the Kimura from the bottom position of gaurd. Very similar to MattJ's link with a few differences (unless it is not shown in the pictures). Obviously twisting thw wrist like a motocycle for added pressure, and we swing our body out almost to a 90degree angle to the top guy, and open gaurd. For some reason, I guess just lack of training it, I never even think about going for one in the top position of mount.

#219684 - 01/03/06 06:11 PM Re: The Kimura [Re: Fletch1]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I really can't add much for how it was taught. How successful have I been with it ... honestly ... not so well. For the times it did work it was because I was fresh and could over power them. Later I find when I go for it and I'm all sweaty and it is hard to hold on to somebody's wrist or gi to do so. Or they will fight to get out of it and I have to abandon it as they are now trying other techniques on me. Plus if I put too much into it and can't get it I tire myself out.

What I'm working on is abandoning techniques sooner and trying something else. Due to stubbornness this doesn't always happen but something that is important for me to keep at. If I can't get them with this I try something else. Can't get that then move on to something else. And so on. Then if I want to come back to something I can or I can set them up with them thinking I'm going to do something and I don't. Plus if they are busy they will also get tired.

I guess this is really off topic but I just thought I'd throw it in there. I think that everybody needs to add this to their game which I thinks is as important if not the most important part of the game.

#219685 - 01/03/06 06:20 PM Re: The Kimura [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

I would also like to add that this looks extremely similar to a technique learned when in the top position. Putting your full weight on their arm, let's say left arm, your left arm grabs their wrist and your right arm comes underneath and grabs your left wrist. Then you pull and "paint" the floor with their hand. I hope I explained that right, trying to do it in my head. We call it a "Tree-Up" and if reversed a "Tree-Down". The Tree-Up is probably one of my favorite techniques especially when your opponent is tired. I have tapped numerous of people with this who are equal or less then my skill level. A bit harder on more skilled opponents who are familiar with it. Surprisingly I have found some people of higher levels forget this.

I thought I'd throw this in as well.

#219686 - 01/03/06 11:09 PM Re: The Kimura [Re: Fletch1]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Thanks for the replies guys.

For a more focused look at this particular attack, I'll specify that the "Kimura" is the BJJ name for the downward bent figure four arm lock as opposed to the uppward bent shoulderlock that is referred to in BJJ as the "Americana" or the "Paint Brush".

Since it is mostl commonly taught first from the Guard, we'll start there.

There are certain details that are very important, over and above the the hand positioning, to the successful application of a Kimura.

#1. Move your hips.

#2. Move your hips some more.

#3. When in doubt, the answer is probably in moving your hips even more.

If this confuses you, good. That's where all of your big game improvements start.

Look at the picture posted in the above link....

Everything looks correct, right? Guard position. Grabbing the wrist, sitting up and putting your other arm over the opponent's shoulder, figure four grip on your own wrist, sit back and crank the shoulder up behind his back, right?......What's missing? Hip movement.

Although the pictures detail how the Kimura is commonly practiced, they also indicate why the Kimure so commonly fails against someone with any knowledge of the move. Plainly stated, the move seems to go out the window against anyone with more than 2-3 months on the mat.

You have no leverage advantage when you are paralel and flat on your back. It is all muscle. How do you get leverage? Move your hips out on the side of the lock, way out, and get turned on your side (all the way, just like when you are practicing the shrimp drill). When your hips are no longer underneath his, but under the actual lock itself, you will have tons of leverage. Get closer to perpendicular and things will be a lot easier.

As far as finishing? Don't forget to keep your leg on his back or at the very least, on the back of his leg, to keep him from forward rolling and escaping. Just like the Omo Plata discussed in the other thread, the roll is the most common counter.

Edited by Fletch1 (01/04/06 01:50 AM)

#219687 - 01/04/06 01:03 AM Re: The Kimura [Re: Fletch1]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Hips, it makes sense. Everything you've mentioned is bang on for me. Next time hips it is. Hip Hip Hooray.

#219688 - 01/04/06 07:49 AM Re: The Kimura [Re: Fletch1]
BigRod Offline
Does it all

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Fletch has it all covered.

As a piece of useless trivia, the name Kimura is used because this is the move the famous Japanese fighter Kimura beat Helio Gracie with.

#219689 - 01/04/06 12:02 PM Re: The Kimura [Re: Fletch1]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Again, good technical posts by Fletch, et al! I was originally shown this from the mount along with it's kissing cousing the Americana.

I, like Dereck, have had problems doing it by forcing from a strength point of view..instead of angling the body to accomodate the lock. And like Dereck, was stuck on the idea of accomplishing one technique and not seeing how it opened up possibilites for other attacks as the opponent scrambled to release my hold. Also, I got swept a lot before I learned to put my weight down and not be so obvious about it when in mount.

Oh well, you guys are the bigger bad asses!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga