FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#218546 - 05/01/06 04:24 PM Re: first fight (got messed up)...advice? [Re: VinnieM]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Well, at the end of the day, you were able to walk away from it with no lasting physical damage. And you have learned some good lessons from it. You turned a negative into a positive .

Two final bits of advice if I may: In life, there will be people who you don't like/can't get on with. It's a given. You have two basic choices: figure out if its worth making right, and do everything you can to make it happen, or let it go. Forget about them. Release. The person who attacked you will only ever exist in one place: your mind. You have control over this. Let him influnece you no more. Forget him. The past is not real, the future is not real. All that is real is here and now. Do not worry about a ghost in your head. Think only of the now.

As to my second piece of advice. I clicked on your profile, noticed you did some TKD, which is cool. It can be a useful art in self defense. But would encourage you to look at adding a little bit extra to your training if you want to learn some more self-defence skills. Things like grappling, ground work (they are NOT the same thing) pressure point stuff, joint manipulation etc... keep an open mind, and if nothing else, stick with your current training.

Good luck and peace.

#218547 - 05/15/06 10:09 AM Re: first fight (got messed up)...advice? [Re: Prizewriter]
rafikEz Offline

Loc: Melbourne, VIC, Australia
yeah, i had a similar experience around about a year ago...i found myself in a fight with a persona lot bigger then me that i couldnt really walk away from. i was very drunk and also on ecstasy (i used to regretably do some stupid [censored]). as i said, he was a good deal lager then me, and although i held my own for a bit, the truth was neither of us were espiecally good fighters, and after a bit i tripped up (it was on grass) and a got a boot to the head. i coped a concussion a nose snapped clean across my face.

i made a lot of mistakes that night....and the one thing it taught me is that i never want to find myself in a fight ever...but at the same time, if i ever found myself in that REALLY regretable situation, i would respond with as much force as i possibly could as quickly as i possibly could and would then run as fast as i could. i train a lot in krav maga nowadays, and i go to the gym, and im a lot healthier, fitter and stronger then i was back then...but the fact remains that i would still NEVER want to put myself in a situation where i had to fight. i suppose im just not an aggressive person?

ow well....from one person who got his arse kicked to another.....it sucks. I think im still struggling with it mentally, the whole pride complex....but yeah. it sucks.

ciao

#218548 - 05/26/06 11:04 PM Re: first fight (got messed up)...advice? [Re: VinnieM]
Steel91 Offline

Loc: Alabama
I think you should have just hit him when he pushed you instead of pushing back, when he pushed you, that was the start of the fight, just my two cents so you don't end up, you know or being no offense I just like these smiles a lot.

#218549 - 06/27/06 12:48 PM Re: first fight (got messed up)...advice? [Re: VinnieM]
webby Offline

Loc: newton abbot devon
I train in shotokan karate and have been in the last 8 years, and shotokans main moto is never attack first.... you dont need to punch kick or anything to win a fight, for starters if you didnt walk out side, there wouldnt be a fight to lost......but at the end of the day you had to leave at one point....why did you push back?? pushing does nothing but leave you open....if you addopted a side on stance(like must arts teach) you will be strong, and he wont be able to push you.... and use your blocks to stop being hurt....hell get frustrated tht his attacks aint workin nd will leave looking stupid...think before you act...

tight belts

#218550 - 06/28/06 07:41 PM Re: first fight (got messed up)...advice? [Re: VinnieM]
Kikojen Offline

Every situation is different, that's why what if's really bother me. Since this is a real instance that I have been in quite a few times before, I'll tell you want I usually do. I just got out of the Marines and have alot of friends in the city police dept. If I'm having problems with some guy at a bar with my wife or alone. Pick up the phone call a buddy or 2 or 3. Don't mention anything about the guy, just ask them to come have a drink or snack with you. 9/10 you can get SOMEONE to come. Usually once two or three people show up that guy will stop bothering you. Just make sure not to get cocky and start starting at him. Just go about your bussiness and have fun with your boys. because...

1. Drinking alone is no fun.
2. Even a drunk will think twice about picking a fight with 4 guys. Especially if one or two is a cop in uniform.
3. People like to feel wanted so your friends will feel good even if they can't come, that you invited them.

#218551 - 07/14/06 11:54 PM Re: first fight (got messed up)...advice? [Re: VinnieM]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, IL
Interesting story. I think you learned the two most important lessons: 1) avoid fighting if you can, and 2) hit first if you can't. The second rule may cause you some legal problems, it is better to be sued than killed.

I am not sure I agree with your advice to "fight fair." The only time you want to break off an attack is when your opponent is UNABLE to hurt you, not when you judge him or her to be UNWILLING to do so.

One last thing: in places like bars, the chances are good the guy who wants fight you has friends. Work extra hard to avoid fights with anyone who has backup.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga