FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#218368 - 12/29/05 05:50 PM Krav Maga to Haganah?
Gadget Offline
Stranger

Loc: Texas
I've been looking into a gym to join and one near by has classes of Haganah. Have any of ya'll heard of it? I've done a little research and I'm worried it might be a tae bo version of Krav Maga....Any help learning about this or from anyone who's been to haganah classes would be appreciated.

#218369 - 12/29/05 05:56 PM Re: Krav Maga to Haganah? [Re: Gadget]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
While I am not 100% sure, I hear they are somewhat alike. ToddR who is on this website, as well as Glockmeister are both much more familiar with it.

Edited by RangerG (12/29/05 06:34 PM)

#218370 - 12/29/05 06:24 PM Re: Krav Maga to Haganah? [Re: Gadget]
Glockmeister Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Pa
It is definately not a "tae bo" version of anything. Actually, in some ways it is very similar ro KM but in my opinion, much more advanced. The knife defenses are a little better and the overall system itself is more complete. Also we train in "rotations" rather than levels. in other words in 4 months, you will be exposed to everythign we do from defense against chokes to handgun threats. Therefore its easier to keep from falling behind the other students. Both styles are good though.

#218371 - 12/29/05 06:43 PM Re: Krav Maga to Haganah? [Re: Glockmeister]
Gadget Offline
Stranger

Ok...That's definitely good to know. When looking into a person that is a Haganah instructor what type of background would you expect to find? I've got a sheet on the instructor at this gym which lists his experience (in styles such as jeet kon do, tae kwon do, judo, jiu-jitsu, muay thai, etc) And it also lists one that says "Israeli Combat Shooting Instructor"... I just want to be sure the instructor is not running a schpiel or something.

#218372 - 12/29/05 07:46 PM Re: Krav Maga to Haganah? [Re: Gadget]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

With Krav you can check out their certification with national headquarters. I would assume that Haganah has the same thing? I would also say that you may wish to attend one class and see if the program is suited for you. 99% of the time, a Krav school will let you take a free class. Ask if this is an option, and if so take advantage of it.

#218373 - 12/29/05 10:33 PM Re: Krav Maga to Haganah? [Re: Gadget]
Dedicated1 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
From what I've learned it is Krav-Maga with Hisardut mixed in. It looks pretty good, They have combat gun courses wich is pretty cool. Check out their head quarters at http://www.fight2survive.com/haganah/about.html

#218374 - 12/29/05 11:06 PM Re: Krav Maga to Haganah? [Re: Dedicated1]
Gadget Offline
Stranger

I've done a bit of searching online and haven't really seen anything specific about a certification for instructing haganah. I'll definitely be checking out a class. The only other thing I'm curious about is if any of ya'll might have an idea of how much classes cost (either haganah or krav maga) on average (I'm looking at a monthly fee).

#218375 - 12/30/05 12:27 AM Re: Krav Maga to Haganah? [Re: Dedicated1]
Glockmeister Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Pa
Quote:

From what I've learned it is Krav-Maga with Hisardut mixed in. It looks pretty good, They have combat gun courses wich is pretty cool. Check out their head quarters at http://www.fight2survive.com/haganah/about.html

It is more than that. it also has elements of KAPAP (face to face combat and L.O.T.A.R. which is basically anti terrorism tactics. Haganah as a whole also involves Israeli tactical knife as well as tactical shooting. Also there are elements of KM in it also.

#218376 - 12/30/05 08:57 AM Re: Krav Maga to Haganah? [Re: Glockmeister]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
this is definatly an existing israeli style. I think that you would have to really know your stuff to be able to tell them appart. the main reason for the divisions is political and marketing, I believe.

one thing about israeli instructors to remember - in the israeli army, being an "instructor" is not very prestigious. people who were combatants in even the best units only get about 8 weeks total krav training, and more likely 5 or 6, so the fact that a person was in the army, or was a "shooting instructor" is borderline marketing BS, it doesn't mean that he knows krav any better than somebody from LA who has been practising for a while. it just means that he may have actually had a chance to use it in real life, and that he was tough enought to get through the training in the army.

#218377 - 12/30/05 10:01 AM Re: Krav Maga to Haganah? [Re: globetrotter]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

this is definatly an existing israeli style. I think that you would have to really know your stuff to be able to tell them appart. the main reason for the divisions is political and marketing, I believe.

one thing about israeli instructors to remember - in the israeli army, being an "instructor" is not very prestigious. people who were combatants in even the best units only get about 8 weeks total krav training, and more likely 5 or 6, so the fact that a person was in the army, or was a "shooting instructor" is borderline marketing BS, it doesn't mean that he knows krav any better than somebody from LA who has been practising for a while. it just means that he may have actually had a chance to use it in real life, and that he was tough enought to get through the training in the army.

Honest Question..

If I have been taking Krav for over a year, am former military and former LEO, target shoot on a regular basis, run and weight lift... I have had more training in MA and firearms than most Isreali soldiers?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga