FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 71 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Thomas_Kungfu, traa1, JohnRay50, nogibjjgear, Jrogers001
23250 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
traa1 1
liangxiaoyu123 1
Thomas_Kungfu 1
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
differences between shaolin and wing chun ?
by liangxiaoyu123
04/28/20 01:05 AM
Recent Posts
differences between shaolin and wing chun ?
by liangxiaoyu123
04/28/20 01:05 AM
Forum Stats
23250 Members
36 Forums
35704 Topics
432774 Posts

Max Online: 488 @ 01/23/20 01:55 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#217156 - 12/31/05 10:05 PM Re: Please, Please get a life Please [Re: trevek]
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Miami, Fl.
Hi, trevek.
No, that wasn't my point at all. In fact I think Lee was correct in his approach. The point I tried to make was that JKD seems, from it's core principle, by definition to allow itself to be influemced by other arts it comes into contact with. If this is so, isn't it kind of unproductive to wonder if JKD was influenced by this or that? It goes without saying.
Also, add the fact that each individual instructor would be doing the right thing if he added to the JKD he was taught whatever other art he happened to have been exposed to. Then it really becomes impossible to trace what other influences have shaped JKD. It's limitless.

#217157 - 01/01/06 07:44 AM Re: Please, Please get a life Please [Re: MAGon]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Fair do's

I agree, I was just considering things from a historical point of view.

Anyway, who cares

Happy New Year.

TREV

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#217158 - 01/01/06 08:31 AM Re: Please, Please get a life Please [Re: trevek]
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Quote:

...Happy New Year.

TREV

Likewise!!!

#217159 - 01/03/06 01:21 PM Re: Please, Please get a life Please [Re: MAGon]
Layzie_Bone Offline

Chuck Norris wouldn't allow such a post. Can't we all just be friends? Why must we fight?

#217160 - 01/06/06 11:26 AM Re: Please, Please get a life Please [Re: Layzie_Bone]
RavenG4 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
JKD is more of a concept than a "style" of fighting. It allows the practitioner to decide what works for them. Isn't that what the philosophy of JKD is all about? using what works for you? JKD they teach you different moves and thing but you take what you need and make it your own. If you know multiple martial arts or "styles of fighting" then you can take what you want from them and make it your "style." that is ultimately what the concept of JKD is all about.

#217161 - 01/06/06 02:33 PM Re: Please, Please get a life Please [Re: Chen Zen]
VigilanteSilver Offline

Loc: Location, Location!
Frankly I think Bruce Lee achieved god-like status for the same reason people keep shrines of J-Lo and her revolting arse; they yearn to be important. "Maybe by worshipping the omniscient presence that is Bruce, he will give me his talent, and I can be a martial arts superstar by the end of the week."

Yeah right.

No one can deny that Bruce was talented. But so is Jet Li, Tony Jaa, Jackie Chan, all in their own way. They are all martial artists, and they are all actors. If there's anything godlike about them, it's the fact they haven't died of "chronic misadventure" like Bruce did.

#217162 - 01/06/06 03:21 PM Re: Please, Please get a life Please [Re: VigilanteSilver]
RavenG4 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Quote:

Frankly I think Bruce Lee achieved god-like status for the same reason people keep shrines of J-Lo and her revolting arse; they yearn to be important. "Maybe by worshipping the omniscient presence that is Bruce, he will give me his talent, and I can be a martial arts superstar by the end of the week."

Yeah right.

No one can deny that Bruce was talented. But so is Jet Li, Tony Jaa, Jackie Chan, all in their own way. They are all martial artists, and they are all actors. If there's anything godlike about them, it's the fact they haven't died of "chronic misadventure" like Bruce did.

Actually I think it's not a "god like" status he's acheived it's more of a Legendary Status. Since he died so young his "legend" of who he was and what he did for/to the world of Martial Arts. For some he Might be considered some type of god like figure but I think those are fringe people. Most consider sifu Bruce Lee to be a legend, a revolutionary, a philosopher, and a great actor. I know that is how I see him (almost the the point of fanatical).

Don't get me wrong though. Jet Li, Jackie Chan and the other martial artists and asian stars in the US wouldn't have had much of a chance if it wasn't for Bruce Lee. He definitely "kicked" the door open for them.

#217163 - 01/19/06 01:27 AM Re: Please, Please get a life Please [Re: RavenG4]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Also, many or dare I say most non-MAists don't really care that much about Bruce one way or the other. He's just "that guy in all those karotty movies".

#217164 - 01/19/06 03:27 AM Re: Please, Please get a life Please [Re: ShikataGaNai]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
A professor I know, who teaches about sport sociology (and has a big interest in wrestling) was totally unaware of Lee as a MA theoritian and writer.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#217165 - 01/24/06 03:11 PM Re: Please, Please get a life Please [Re: VigilanteSilver]
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Quote:

..for the same reason people keep shrines of J-Lo and her revolting arse...

Pray tell, WHAT'S WRONG WITH J-LO'S @$$???!!! I'm going to go light the candles of my shrine now. I EXPECT TO GET A SATISFACTORY EXPLANATION BY THE TIME I GET BACK!!!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga