FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 71 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Thomas_Kungfu, traa1, JohnRay50, nogibjjgear, Jrogers001
23250 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
traa1 1
liangxiaoyu123 1
Thomas_Kungfu 1
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
differences between shaolin and wing chun ?
by liangxiaoyu123
04/28/20 01:05 AM
Recent Posts
differences between shaolin and wing chun ?
by liangxiaoyu123
04/28/20 01:05 AM
Forum Stats
23250 Members
36 Forums
35704 Topics
432774 Posts

Max Online: 488 @ 01/23/20 01:55 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#217146 - 12/25/05 02:26 AM Please, Please get a life Please
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Its once again time for the post that seems like ritual around here. Why all the petty Bruce Lee posts? He has been dead and gone for a quarter century. Let it go. What is it that is so compelling about arguing over whether or not the man was a street fighter or if he was as good as the movies made him look? What do you people gain from the idolization or degredation of a man that almost virtually none of you have had contact with on a personal basis?

Do the naysayers out there sleep better by saying that Bruce wasnt that great? Do you feel better by lying to yourself and saying you could beat him? Do you suddenly feel smarter when you think you find a flaw in his logic or process?

And to you Idolizers, do you feel like a better MA because you can quote everything Bruce Lee ever said? Do you Think that maybe after enough praise the spirit of Bruce Lee will come back in your body to teach us unbelievers an incredible lesson?

Its obvious to me, a man with no interest one way or the other, that the man has become nearly religious to some of you. And since that is so the whole topic is on the verge of being banned from the forum. Please, exchange, teach and learn and leave a dead man alone to be dead.

#217147 - 12/25/05 09:20 AM Re: Please, Please get a life Please [Re: Chen Zen]
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Miami, Fl.
Quote:

..Do you Think that maybe after enough praise the spirit of Bruce Lee will come back in your body to teach us unbelievers an incredible lesson?...

O'course!!!! Why, they even made a movie of that very thing!!!! Which, BTW, also launched J.C. Van Damme's career in Hollywood, so there's some very powerful juju in the subject!
Happy holidays Chen and forum. On a serious note, I couldn't agree more with what CZ wrote, but I was in the mood to pull his leg!

#217148 - 12/25/05 09:40 AM Re: Please, Please get a life Please [Re: Chen Zen]
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Miami, Fl.
On a related subject, there's also a plethora of threads having to do with the influence of Judo on JKD or the influence of TKD on JKD, etc. Now, I've yet to set foot in a JKD kwoon, so I'm an outsider. But if memory serves me, Lee wrote that JKD wasn't a style, it was a concept. The concept had to do with no barriers or limits, no preconceptions and no unchanging patterns. So anything that was proven to work was absorbed and adopted.
Now, if that is so, then it stands to reason that if something from Judo was found to work it would find it's way into JKD. Ditto for TKD. Or BJJ. Or MT. Etc., etc. So am I missing something or would the expected thing from JKD be that it would act as a vacuum cleaner and suck up every useful technique that came it's way, and therefore not worth rehashing the subject over and over?

#217149 - 12/25/05 09:51 AM Re: Please, Please get a life Please [Re: Chen Zen]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
It's so typical for a JKD forum because no one really understands JKD.

Because Bruce Lee has reached the status of Christ, Buddha, and Mohammed, you have to expect such things. JKD IS a religion to many, with Lee as it's savior.

When famous people die young, they ALL tend to reach cult hero status.

-John

#217150 - 12/25/05 04:05 PM Re: Please, Please get a life Please [Re: JKogas]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

The vacuum is a good analogy. Unfortunately it also sucks up a lot of crap as well. JKD wasnt intended to be a style persay but it now is. You have the concept and what is taught as the physical style.

As for bruces DemiGod status, I find it sad and more than a little disturbing. Even he said Im just a man.

#217151 - 12/25/05 05:36 PM Re: Please, Please get a life Please [Re: Chen Zen]
Paranormalma Offline

Quote:

The vacuum is a good analogy. Unfortunately it also sucks up a lot of crap as well. JKD wasnt intended to be a style persay but it now is. You have the concept and what is taught as the physical style.

As for bruces DemiGod status, I find it sad and more than a little disturbing. Even he said Im just a man.

Buddha said the same thing as his philosophy became popular...and look how that one turned out.

Theres no stopping it.

#217152 - 12/25/05 06:14 PM Re: Please, Please get a life Please [Re: Paranormalma]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Is a human so dependent on imitation that we resort to lifting single men into untouchable status such as Buddha or Bruce Lee? Its as if everyone heard someone say something smart and instead of having a smart reply they go on repeating what they heard to sound smart. The problem is that it doesnt make them sound any smarter. In fact it detracts and thats why Ive waged an unwinnable war against these types of posts. So that hopefully people will begin to think and explore for themselves instead of following the path of someone else. Every man should be unafraid to blaze his own path.

#217153 - 12/26/05 11:53 AM Re: Please, Please get a life Please [Re: Chen Zen]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
**Disillusioned and holding back his tears, Joel begins to take down his shrine to Chen Zen, candles and all.**

#217154 - 12/31/05 09:46 AM Re: Please, Please get a life Please [Re: MAGon]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
MAGon, to be fair consider that if you want to develop a limitless 'style' based on concepts, you have to develop the concepts from somewhere. As Lee was predominantly a Wing Chun guy he was not actually noted as much for his kicking as his punching. Indeed, he was known to consider kicking (particularly high kicking) in a lesser light.

However, this changed. likewise, his exposure to other styles, such as boxing and Judo also helped him develop his concepts of fighting. Therefore I fail to see how questions about which arts influenced his development of JKD concepts is such a bad thing.

I spoke with a KF sifu who was convinced Lee knew all about high kicks from chinese styles, and said there was no reason for anyone to study multiple arts because Chinese KF contained everything. Well history shows that actually Korean stylists and Savate stylists had more of an influence on Lee's philosophy concerning kicks than Chinese styles did.

Of course, this doesn't make us better at our own art because we know this but it can help widen our own horizons when we consider what influences led to the development of JKD concepts.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#217155 - 12/31/05 03:24 PM Re: Please, Please get a life Please [Re: JoelM]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Awww Joel why is that?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga