FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 1
cxt 1
ergees 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#216965 - 12/27/05 11:16 AM Re: Why geniuses are never REALLY happy! [Re: ButterflyPalm]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Sadly chaps, I'm more of a tortured artist...

If I was a genius I'd work out how to get a job which allows me to train more often...

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#216966 - 12/27/05 02:40 PM Re: Why geniuses are never REALLY happy! [Re: trevek]
nenipp Offline
Veteran

Nono trevek, you can fool yourself, but you won't fool me!

You are a genius and you're lazy, so you find a job that gives you the perfect excuse to not train enough

#216967 - 12/27/05 06:39 PM Re: Why geniuses are never REALLY happy! [Re: its_only_a_name]
Dauragon c mikado Offline

Loc: Oxford, England
You should write a book, or maybe not that'll only give you food for your ego. You stated a few things that feed our ego, yet the impression Im getting is that the ego is always there regardless of whether we feed it or not, we only control the size of it but its presence is constant, kinda like a virus, always there, never leaving us whether we realise it or not.

You say you do not wish to be recognised, that you are only in a search for truth, like you wish you were not there (I know you never said this).

Really when I think of ego, study myself and I see everything I do is based on ego whether directly or indirectly.

I see myself as a perfect example of ego, everything I do I realise I do it for myself to fufil my own desires.

It can be totally showing off or helping somebody, it all comes down to me.

Lets refur to all desire for the sake of the arguement as greed.

When I show off, I want to feel good, to have everybody stare in awe at my power if I get this result I am happy, I have shown them things they have never seen before (I have shown these people something new), I have achieved something, what I wanted my greed has been fufiled for now.

When I help someone I happy because I'm doing what people consider to be a good thing or the right thing, this makes me happy with myself, I create a self image, Im helping this person its the right thing to do (feeding my ego).
Im greedy for wanting to be better than I am.

When Im with someone I like, I want to make them happy, but this is for my own happiness (when this person is happy Im happy), once I have done this I feel I have achieved something (feeding my ego), Im greedy for wanting to effect something for my own pourpouses.

When I see something in the shop window and I can afford it, and then I buy it (I've got what I want, now I'm happy), Im greedy for wanting to get something and then getting it, I've fed my ego by expanding my belongings.

By writing this Im feeding my ego, I'm happy for trying to give you infomation and help you (I've given you my knowledge and tried to help you, Im happy)

By writing this I proven my own existance (I have something for people to remember me by, Im happy)

When I tell someone of something Im happy cause they have taken an interest in me, they have acknowledged my existance (this has fed my ego, I now know Im a worthwhile person), Im greedy for being happy that I am acknowledged.

For following zen, trying to see truth, for trying to extinguish my ego, Im greedy, greedy for wanting to gain truth and greedy for getting rid of my ego (Im becoming a better person, Im happy for gaining the self title of better person by losing my ego)

I see, I do, I feel, I think, I breath, whatever I do it all comes down to me, happiness and ego.

Im sorry if this does'nt make sense (Im happy for compensating any mistakes ny saying sorry in advance, I consider saying sorry a good thing, the right thing to do, feeding my ego).

By studying Ma, becoming stronger, I knowingly am aware I have more power than others, Im happy that I can defend myself against any weakling that tries to harm me, this adds to my ego.

By studying MA I have obtained I high level of dispipline Knowing this I am happy add this adds to my ego.

You can apply this reasoning to any thing you do, do you notice this in your self?

#216968 - 12/28/05 05:10 AM Re: Why geniuses are never REALLY happy! [Re: Dauragon c mikado]
nenipp Offline
Veteran

Quote:

You can apply this reasoning to any thing you do, do you notice this in your self?

Certainly, it's part of learning to know your own mind and how it works. Imho it's better to be aware of this than not to, because that's the way I work, either way.

The thing is, all this is fleeting, not only the things and feelings with which I'm feeding my Ego, but also the Ego it(my)self.
So in this physical aspect of reality where we live, things work the way they work, loosing Ego is about letting go of the whole thing, not about fooling myself as to the motives behind my actions and words.

#216969 - 12/28/05 07:34 AM Re: Why geniuses are never REALLY happy! [Re: ButterflyPalm]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

OK, I suppose I'd better do some work (even being lazy is a struggle occassionally)

Quote:

"I'll rather be right then a genius"?

The difference between this and the proposed "I would rather be a genius" is that the use of 'will' makes it into a prediction of sorts. If we accept the slight alteration of standard grammar into a poetic form we might consider the use of 'rather' as either meaning preference or an expression of strong belief.

So, in this case "I will rather be right then a genius" could be taken to mean "I predict that I will be right (rather than wrong) and then I shall be a genius (afterwards)"

Of course, the word 'then' might be a typo but it also suggests a freudian slip along the lines of predicting your future genius (albeit unconciously) and so reitterating the matter of ego and genius.

The second phrase "I would rather be right than a genius" suggests a conditional element. The use of 'would' suggests an imaginary future in that you don't know if/whether you are going to be either right or a genius or whether the choice will arise. However, SHOULD it appear then of the two you suggest a preference for being right over being a genius.

Therefore, depending on whether you would like your tailnote to demonstarte preference or prediction would be the motivation about which change to adopt.

Does that help?

#216970 - 12/28/05 07:37 AM Re: Why geniuses are never REALLY happy! [Re: nenipp]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Damn, rumbled at last!!!! nenip, truly wisdom is your middle name.

Could the book mentioned above be called "The ego has landed"?

#216971 - 12/28/05 12:20 PM Re: Why geniuses are never REALLY happy! [Re: trevek]
Dauragon c mikado Offline

Loc: Oxford, England
Quote:

Damn, rumbled at last!!!! nenip, truly wisdom is your middle name.

Could the book mentioned above be called "The ego has landed"?

Were you refurring to my post?

#216972 - 12/29/05 12:38 AM Re: Why geniuses are never REALLY happy! [Re: trevek]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

Does that help?

You were trying to help? What happens when you are not

Now I am even more confused; am I a genius now, but don't know it, or I (subconsciously) long to be a genius sometime in the future, but don't know when.

So while I ponder on the profound implication of your advise and as a temporary compromise, I'll just stick to the simple and inoffensive one appearing now.

I didn't know being or getting to be a genius can be so mentally taxing

I always thought once you are a genius, everything becomes so easy and you don't even need to think.

#216973 - 12/29/05 01:31 AM Re: Why geniuses are never REALLY happy! [Re: ButterflyPalm]
Christie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Waterloo, ON
Quote:

I always thought once you are a genius, everything becomes so easy and you don't even need to think.

The problem is the more you know, the more you have to think about.

#216974 - 12/29/05 02:31 AM Re: Why geniuses are never REALLY happy! [Re: Christie]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

Quote:

The problem is the more you know, the more you have to think about.

Thank goodness I can't remember everything I know!

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga