FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
Yesterday at 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#216945 - 12/25/05 12:01 PM Re: Why geniuses are never REALLY happy! [Re: its_only_a_name]
nenipp Offline
Veteran

You haven't even read the old thread, still you dismiss it as lacking something profoundly central to the issue, that's a work of one great Ego

If you had read it, you'd know that Ego in fact was brought up (by our own genius, harlan, if memory serves me) and its role recognised, albeit in somewhat fewer words...

#216946 - 12/25/05 03:38 PM Re: Why geniuses are never REALLY happy! [Re: nenipp]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
All this reminds me of those characters in Terry Pratchett's "The Hogfather" which have to continually refer to themselves in the plural because when they refer to themselves as an individual they 'disappear' or cease to exist, or something.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#216947 - 12/25/05 08:46 PM Re: Why geniuses are never REALLY happy! [Re: Ed_Morris]
its_only_a_name Offline

Let's look at the word genius. Just a simple look can reveal it.

"Geni" "Us" - genie us please. Impress us.

"you've changed your tone and widened your view a bit on evaluating geniuses"

Tone has changed, as it always does and I didn't evaluate anyone as a genius, not even the other ego types. IQ, EQ, it roles into one.

Even a genius is part of the general population.

I never called anyone a genius in this thread - "It takes ego to consider people a genius or not." If you read it without ego as you told me not to I haven't called anyone a genius. I know I'm not.

I never told anyone if they were happy or not - "It takes ego to consider people happy or not". That's personal choice.

I never said I didnt have an ego ! "It takes ego to make a statement "!" as oppossed to a question "?".." I just dont cling to it.

IQ is mechanical, a mechanism, egoless. EQ or EI (emotional intelligence) is a mechanism. Happiness falls under EQ, so it too is egoless. All emotions are egoless until you identify yourself with one. Only when you say "I am happy" does ego enter in. Instead of "happiness is there inside me, I am watching it". The "I" is the ego. The letter stands so tall too. So many things.

I didn't name these other ego's geniuses either.
"holier-than-thou people" - not necessarily geniuses.

"intellects" - another arbitrary title subjectively given by people comparing people to themselves. one may be an intellect, but no genius.

"internal dialogue" -you can evaluate people's internal dialogue? or are you comparing what you feel based on what you suppose others might? you'd need to consult your ego in order to do that. "

Where did you get the impression I was stereotyping geniuses?
A holier-than-thou ego is just that. An intellect is just that. Just different ego's, none of which I called geniuses or even attempted to.

"Words may sometimes come across offensive...but when we read them without involving our ego, we may find some good wisdom and food for thought in self-evaluation."

Offense has been taken by so many people here. If you were not offended there would be no need to say "wasn't offended in the least..."

PLEASE, forget there is a person writing this stuff. If you forget me there will be no one to get angry at, and you may consider understanding. Everyone gets angry or annoyed at this topic because it hits close to home, it hurts many egos. It's only exposing them, and these reactions I'm hearing are proving it. Yes it is general, because geniuses too are general people, a part of the population. I'm just proposing that the ego be dropped when alone to just be, then watch bliss enter in

#216948 - 12/25/05 09:43 PM Re: Why geniuses are never REALLY happy! [Re: its_only_a_name]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Okay.

BTY...welcome aboard.

#216949 - 12/25/05 10:21 PM Re: Why geniuses are never REALLY happy! [Re: harlan]
its_only_a_name Offline

if only I could express my laughter on here oh yeh, whats BTY? Thanx.

I also wish to apologise for not reading the ENTIRE other thread. I've now read 90% of all of it, skipped a few things, but read about the ego by harlan, all of which is true. My sincere apologies to harlan . But hey, now there is extra understanding of the problem of ego it can't be too bad, no one lost anything

Edited by its_only_a_name (12/25/05 10:45 PM)

#216950 - 12/25/05 10:58 PM Re: Why geniuses are never REALLY happy! [Re: its_only_a_name]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Crap. I'm getting sick of hearing about this big mouth 'harlan'.

BTY=by the way

#216951 - 12/25/05 11:42 PM Re: Why geniuses are never REALLY happy! [Re: harlan]
its_only_a_name Offline

LOL, I thought by the way = btW never mind lol

#216952 - 12/26/05 12:32 AM Re: Why geniuses are never REALLY happy! [Re: its_only_a_name]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

read carefully:
your whole point is based upon the made-up fact that there is a larger percentage of geniuses that are unhappy vs. non-geniuses. I'm simply reminding you that you may have not met enough to make that sweeeping statement.

In other words, you were biased from the very moment you made your thread title...both times. have you learned nothing from your own thread(s)? The next time you meet someone who you consider superior in intellegence to yourself, you can continue protecting your own ego by thinking: 'That person is a genius, but probably not happy.'

I suspect that any kind of intellegence and any kind of happiness are not oppossing characteristics of a person. Think of the concept of an unhappy moron - is that as impossible as a happy genius?

BTY...being 'content' is not everyone's happiness...nor is always getting shorthand acronyms right.

p.s.
getting enough air in your bubble?

#216953 - 12/26/05 01:31 AM Re: Why geniuses are never REALLY happy! [Re: Ed_Morris]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
I am not truly happy,therefore I must be a genius!

I am not really happy,therefore I must be a genius!

I used the word I way too many times in MY reply,therefore I must have a big ego to feed.......Okay,I am happy,so what I'm not a genius with a big ego atleast I can admit it.

Bow to your sensei!!!!!

#216954 - 12/26/05 02:44 AM Re: Why geniuses are never REALLY happy! [Re: its_only_a_name]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

Let's look at the word genius. Just a simple look can reveal it.

"Geni" "Us" - genie us please. Impress us.

Main Entry: ge·nius
Pronunciation: 'jEn-y&s, 'jE-nE-&s
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural ge·nius·es or ge·nii /-nE-"I/
Etymology: Latin, tutelary spirit, natural inclinations, from gignere to beget
  • 1 A plural genii : an attendant spirit of a person or place
    B plural usually genii : a person who influences another for good or bad
  • 2 : a strong leaning or inclination : PENCHANT
  • 3 A : a peculiar, distinctive, or identifying character or spirit
    B : the associations and traditions of a place
    C : a personification or embodiment especially of a quality or condition
  • 4 plural usually genii : SPIRIT, JINNI
  • 5 plural usually geniuses
    A : a single strongly marked capacity or aptitude <had a genius for getting along with boys -- Mary Ross>
    B : extraordinary intellectual power especially as manifested in creative activity
    C : a person endowed with transcendent mental superiority; especially : a person with a very high intelligence quotient

"Genie us"...Cute, but wrong.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga