FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
GojuRyuboy13 1
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#215328 - 12/16/05 08:53 PM Couple Questions
kyokushinkai Offline

Loc: Prince Edward Island , Canada
1. What are the best compound Exercises to start off with. I was Thinking:Squats, deadlifts, sit-ups, pull-ups(inward&outward grips), Bench Press, military Press, Dips.

2. What are good Exercises for building speed ( explosiveness)? I have a heavy bag and I got a partner for use of a medicine ball.

3. How often should you add weight to your exercises ie going from 200 bench press to 205 or 210 should you try to add weight every week 2 weeks and how much?

4. What kind of Cardio should be done. I heard that long distance running is actually bad for MA's, and that sprint style is good. Could someone tell me a routine for this.

5. Is whey protein powder good to use.

ps. Keep in mind im training for maximum strength not body builder style.

Thankyou

#215329 - 12/16/05 09:22 PM Re: Couple Questions [Re: kyokushinkai]
Cownose Offline
Veteran

1. Looks fine, but I wouldn't use all of them in one routine.

2. If you're just starting, don't worry about it. Just focus on building a solid base for now.

3. As often as you can. You probably won't have much trouble making gains yet, so add 5 pounds every workout and if you fail, just keep it at the same weight and try again next time. Try to stay away from failure though - if you feel like you're not going to be able to up the weight, just leave it where it is until you're comfortable moving up. You've got plenty of time, so don't rush it.

4. HIIT. There are tons of programs floating around online, but it's pretty simple. Just alternate between sprinting and slow jogging and increase the difficulty each time (by increasing the reps, decreasing rest time, etc).

5. Yes. Just keep in mind that it's not a replacement for a healthy diet.

#215330 - 12/16/05 09:25 PM Re: Couple Questions [Re: kyokushinkai]
kyokushinkai Offline

Loc: Prince Edward Island , Canada
we live in canda and its pretty hard to sprint and jog in 8 feet of snow. so what is an alternative.

#215331 - 12/16/05 09:52 PM Re: Couple Questions [Re: kyokushinkai]
Cownose Offline
Veteran

You just have to apply the concept to something else. You could use just about any piece of cardio equipment, or you could use a punching bag, or swim, or whatever else you can think of. As long as it's an activity that relies heavily on cardio, you can probably use it.

#215332 - 12/16/05 10:38 PM Re: Couple Questions [Re: kyokushinkai]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

we live in canda and its pretty hard to sprint and jog in 8 feet of snow. so what is an alternative.

What? Haven't you seen Rocky IV when Stallone, or I should say Rocky, was running in the heavy snow. Did that stop him ... noooooo! Canada Shmanda ... you can run so get out there it do it. What are you waiting for I meant now ... right now ... get your lazy butt away from the computer, put on your snow shoes and get out there and run. Don't worry I'll wait right here for you now go ........... still here eh? Man you Canadians suck, I thought you were climatized to the cold? What it's -20 degrees Celcius ... that's nothing. Wait till it gets to -40 and then when it is -20 you'll think it is warm. At -10 degrees you will be walking outside with your coats off thinking how beautiful it is outside. You are a sorry excuse for a Canadian! Man I hate you people all high and mighty up there in the north, drinking your beer, watching your hockey, all nice and drugged up with your health care system ... you make me sick. HEY ... wait a second ... I'm Canadian! I take everything back man ... you're the best.

Note: Post 1999 ... Prince said it best ... "we're going to party like it is 1999" ... in Canada eh?

#215333 - 12/17/05 12:02 PM Re: Couple Questions [Re: kyokushinkai]
KSsombo Offline

Loc: central state
1) Here's what I have all my trainees start with (regardless of age). In this order: Power Cleans, Squats, Bench Press, Bent over Row, Romanian Deadlifts, Abs

2) Start working explosiveness from the beginning (see lift #1 above)

3) Increasing weight every workout/week ad infinitum went the way of the Dodo. I highly recommend _Weight Training: A Scientific Approach_ by Stone and O'Bryant. An excelent resource, on the biomechanics and physiology of lifting, that I still reference.

#215334 - 12/17/05 12:55 PM Re: Couple Questions [Re: KSsombo]
Cownose Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Increasing weight every workout/week ad infinitum went the way of the Dodo.

Explain.

I'm also curious as to why you teach power cleans first, and why you don't teach deadlifts at all.

#215335 - 12/17/05 01:13 PM Re: Couple Questions [Re: Cownose]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
I am with Cownose on this one. Power cleans are a great exercise, but not a beginner-friendly one. Basic deads with slow technique conscious repetition. Progress on to explosive heavy deads.Progress on to cleans and snatches if applicable to the individual. Such movements are far from suitable for 'all trainees', and may be contra-indicated for many.

#215336 - 12/18/05 04:10 AM Re: Couple Questions [Re: kyokushinkai]
spartanwarlord Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:

1. What are the best compound Exercises to start off with. I was Thinking:Squats, deadlifts, sit-ups, pull-ups(inward&outward grips), Bench Press, military Press, Dips.

2. What are good Exercises for building speed ( explosiveness)? I have a heavy bag and I got a partner for use of a medicine ball.

3. How often should you add weight to your exercises ie going from 200 bench press to 205 or 210 should you try to add weight every week 2 weeks and how much?

4. What kind of Cardio should be done. I heard that long distance running is actually bad for MA's, and that sprint style is good. Could someone tell me a routine for this.

5. Is whey protein powder good to use.

ps. Keep in mind im training for maximum strength not body builder style.

Thankyou

Gday Mate.

1. Im glad to see that your sticking with compound exercises instead of thoes girly isolation ones you see guys wearing designer sweat suits doing in the mirror . The Big 5 are usually the best way to go for starting out, or even for the rest of your life if you dont get bored with them. Dips, Pull ups, Squat, Deadlift, Standing Military Press. As you build a strong foundation of strength, you can change around your program if you find yourself getting bored. Im on a very painful program at the moment using only one exercise. The bear! Heres the Link try it out when you feel confident. Im warning you though, its the most painful exercise out there, though the rewards are worth it.

2. I find the best way to get explosive speed and power for your legs are good ol' fasioned hill sprints holding a bag full of rocks. Nothing like the basics to build some serious power. Find the steepst longest hill you can, and fill up a canvas bag full of rocks. Now lift it onto your shoulders and sprint up. Jog back down and continue until you fall on the ground in a big sweaty heap .

Another way is to run up stairs with the sand bag. You can play all sorts of games with yourself to keep you going. Keep doing thoes for a few years and you will be the next Hercules.

3.I generally say go with 2.5kgs every week. Thats only if you can. There is no point loading up the bar if you can only lift it with poor form. Add weight no matter what however. Even if its only .000005 kgs. Aslong as you make progressive poundage increasments, and lift with perfect form, you will see improvements.

4. Long distance running is the bread and butter of all cardio. Its how you build an effect foundation of endurance and fitness. However, I will aggree with you, I find inteval sprints, hill sprints with the heavy bag etc more effective for my kickboxing training.

I'd say go for a 45 min jog 3 days a week for a month to give yourself a good base of fitness. Then you can spice it up with inteval sprints etc, or add extra long runs. Farlap is good aswell.

4. I dont use Protein powder. I wont debate it because I have controversial opinons on them. However, what I will say is that I used to use lots of them, and never saw much benefit. Eating quality animal products (meat, liver etc) for protein is much better imo. I find cod liver oil really good.

Good luck mate. Go hard.

#215337 - 12/19/05 12:20 AM Re: Couple Questions [Re: Cord]
KSsombo Offline

Loc: central state
Hmmm...how best to answer this? Since I haven't quite figured this msg board out I'm trying to answer your Q's from memory. I could just write them down (I'm not that ambitious though).

First, some clarification. I did not mean to imply that I start with Power Cleans and do nothing else until the PC is mastered. I teach all those lifts simultaneously.

Deadlifts: See if you can find an article by O'Shea called "An Understanding of Power" (?). It's a straightforward, albeit simplified, explanation of the relative power outputs of Cleans vs. Deadlifts. Simply put: I don't teach DL's 'cause they're not athletic. Cleans (and their derivatives : Power Cleans, Clean Pulls, etc.) require strength, speed, balance, and coordination. That being said, if you don't have access to a USAW certified coach, or your country's NGB equivalent, then go with DL's--it's better than nothing.

Don't know what you mean by not beginner friendly. Do they require that you actually pay attention and concentrate? Absolutely.

Contra-indicated: Can't think of a situation in which this would be so. That is to say; any injury that would prevent you from doing PC's would also prevent you from doing Squats, RDL's, etc. If that's the case then heal up and get the OK from your Doc. Case in point, in the last 5 years or so of coaching I've trained people from 12-70+ y/o. They all learned it and they all benefited from it.

Adding weight every week: Without sounding like a prick--"go to the library!" Here are a few authors you should read up on: Stone and O'Bryant, Medvyev, Kraemer, Fleck, Hakkinen, Komi, Paavo, Garhammer, Koch, Haff, Kilgore.
Can you consistently add weight each year? Yes. Is it as simple as adding 1 pound per week? NO. You may also be interested researching the program/methodologies of various Olympic Weightlifting teams--Russian, Bulgarian, Greek, Chinese, American.

As to running up hills carrying sandbags to build explosiveness and traditional LSD cardio--that's just asinine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga