FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
kolslaw 1
Bartfast 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#215089 - 12/28/05 11:23 PM Re: Live Ken For Iai Traing Good or Bad [Re: Walter Wong]
kroh Offline

Loc: Rhode Island, USA
Quote:

I'm sure someone who is a self taught swordsman playing with a Practical Katana would be discouraged from starting with a shinken.

Don't go there ...you should see the thread going on in one of the other forum sites where a 14 year old self taught "swordperson" is swinging around a Quirino blade with no instruction and his parents are cool with it...

Thanks for the info Walter, I have been to the web site (Nami Ryu) and read all the info but haven't talked to anyone who had actually trained with them. I guess I was just curious...

Charles, Thanks for synopsis on the different factions in MJER. Once again curiosty....interesting to find out how other groups run things...Always good to exhchange ideas.

Just in case ...(off topic headed this way )...

Hope everyone has a safe groovy new year...
Regards,
Walt

#215090 - 12/29/05 09:45 AM Re: Live Ken For Iai Traing Good or Bad [Re: kroh]
Walter Wong Offline

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts, United ...
Oh that 14 year old kid. Well, you probably seen my replies to him in there. The Martial Talk board in the sword arts section. I saw you posted in there as well.

The last post I made in there to him is my last to him cause I give up.

Yeah, there are certain things I can't talk about Nami Ryu cause of certain traditional restrictions. So essentially I'm not revealing all there is bout Nami Ryu to the public so I'm trying to becareful and not say too much about Nami Ryu. Anyone interested in knowing more details to Nami Ryu can come to a seminar. There's misconceptions about Nami Ryu and James Williams out there. He's a very busy man and doesn't spend time speaking to the public to prove himself. In fact he doesn't really have to prove himself and if you're sincerely interesting in knowing more about Nami Ryu, he'll be happy to discuss with you one on one in person. He's a great guy and alot of fun. He's amazingly a gentle kind hearted man. But at the sametime, he's very dangerous if you choose to fight with him and I rather be fighting with him than against him. Anyways, but Nami Ryu in some sense is strict like the Katori Shinto Ryu group but not as strict. Cause there's Nami Ryu seminars but not Katori Shinto Ryu seminars it seems or that I have noticed. Katori Shinto Ryu seems very closed and only a selected few can get accepted at a time.

#215091 - 12/29/05 11:16 AM Re: Live Ken For Iai Traing Good or Bad [Re: Walter Wong]
kroh Offline

KSR is one of those martial arts that is on the "list of things to do before I check out" but due to it's rarity i have better luck finding a Tibeten Monk in Times Square than I would of finding qualified practitioners of that group in my area (for lack of better terminology, I hate to travel!)

Very cool on the Nami Ryu. Mr. Williams seems like a good guy. I am sure there is a lot of talk behind the back of some one like him due to the fact that he is the Honcho (spanish...not Japanese...gotta be careful with this group...heh) of a Japanese sogo bujutsu (total figting science) while not being Japanese. His sword embu are very impressive from what little I've seen on the web site. Guys like him make what they do look easy and thus any Jo Blow Samurai thinks he can just pick up a shinken and start hacking. He is another on the list of "need to see before X happens." Guys like Mr. Williams, Toby Threadgill ( http://www.shinyokai.com/ http://www.aikidojournal.com/download_media.php?media=video&id=101 ) and Obata Toshishiro ( http://shinkendo.com/main.html ) have spent years honing their craft to make it look effortless.

Thanks for talking about what you could.
Regards,
Walt

#215092 - 12/29/05 12:41 PM Re: Live Ken For Iai Traing Good or Bad [Re: kroh]
Walter Wong Offline

James is so cool. If you haven't joined up with Suio Ryu, then come out to a Nami Ryu seminar if you can. There's one coming up in January 21-22 (a Sat. & Sun weekend) in Pennsylvania to check it out and meet people.
http://www.yrjj.net/Jan06Seminar.html

I will be there.

I know of Suio Ryu's strict tradition of not training other ryu-ha when being an active member of any Suio Ryu group. So before you join that, come check out Nami Ryu.

I hear what you're saying of Katori Shinto Ryu. Would be nice to have an opportunity to train it, but chances are slim and there's plenty of other good solid ryu-ha to get involved in as an alternative if your heart was once set on Katori Shinto Ryu. I had an interest in Katori Shinto Ryu at one point a long while back. But I pretty much gave up on that. I was already involved in Eishin Ryu anyways so it wasn't like I was without a ryu-ha to train with.

Oh yeah and in regards to openess, James has an open door policy so whether it's a seminar or at his dojo, he welcomes you to come in, watch, and talk and ask all kinds of questions.

#215093 - 12/29/05 01:08 PM Re: Live Ken For Iai Traing Good or Bad [Re: Walter Wong]
kroh Offline

Sounds like a good time. I wish I could go. I am monitarily fustrated at the moment by the Holiday, just joining with another martial arts system (after breaking ties <on good terms I hope> with the old one) and also getting married in October (I have got to be the luckiest guy on the planet...my wife is awsome). Will there be another Nami Ryu seminar in the area sometime in the spring or summer maybe?

I don't want to jump into something on the side just yet, as I am trying to maintain my old training while trying to feel my way around the new one ( http://www.collectivesociety.com/skski/ bring on the controversy). It is excedingly fun though as the movements are reminiscent of yoshin ryu training.

Fun stuff...

If you should hear of anything about a seminar this way, Walter, You being in Boston, I would love to come out train for a bit and then go get lunch or something...

Wendy's on me...you can even supersize it...wedding to pay for don't ya know (JK)

Regards,
Walt

#215094 - 12/29/05 01:19 PM Re: Live Ken For Iai Traing Good or Bad [Re: kroh]
Walter Wong Offline

Oh yeah there's a couple of Nami Ryu seminars a year at Rick Robinson's dojo in Pennsylvania so there will be another one in the summer and likely another in the fall like this year.

Just keep visiting www.dojoofthefourwinds.com site to check on what seminars are coming up.

And yeah since we're practically neighbors, I would love to hang out with a fellow swordsman. And since we're at it, we should try to get Steve, Fred and Greg to come out with us.

#215095 - 12/29/05 01:51 PM Re: Live Ken For Iai Traing Good or Bad [Re: Walter Wong]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
I'd suggest adding Esaka Seigen-sensei to your must see list. I understand he'll be in Victoria this year. If, or more likely when, my Japan trip falls through, I may see if I can head up there instead. Esaka-sensei achieved his shodan in the 1950s. When my mom was a toddler. He's forgotten more about MJER than i'm ever likely to learn. I've seen him once, and would very much like to see him again. I'd also like to see the Canadians in their natural habbitat.

#215096 - 12/29/05 02:04 PM Re: Live Ken For Iai Traing Good or Bad [Re: Charles Mahan]
Walter Wong Offline

Actually, it'll be in Vancouver this year in B.C., Canada.

Every year, they alternate the Esaka Sensei seminar from Victoria B.C., Canada one year to Vancouver B.C., Canada the following year and back again to Victoria the following year alternating every year.
You gonna come Charles? Your group I think is welcomed to the C.I.A. I would imagine since C.I.A. folks come to your Embukai.

#215097 - 12/29/05 02:19 PM Re: Live Ken For Iai Traing Good or Bad [Re: Walter Wong]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
We're kinda all in the same ZNIR/Seitokai tent. What's more, I'm reasonably certain that there is a standing invitation for members of our dojo.

I still dont' know if i'll be able to go. It's a heck of a drive, and I'm not particularly fond of flying. Still if i could stop in Rocky Mountain National Park for a few days to show my wife what real mountains look like it might be worth the drive. Especially if i could stop in Seattle for a day or so to train with Irey-sensei.

It's only about 600 miles further than my drive to San Francisco a couple of years ago and it passes very close to RMNP.

Edited by Charles Mahan (12/29/05 02:22 PM)

#215098 - 12/29/05 02:28 PM Re: Live Ken For Iai Traing Good or Bad [Re: Charles Mahan]
Walter Wong Offline

I would prefer driving if it only took an hour to drive from Boston to Vancouver BC, Canada.
Even though I packed my Iaito real well for flight last time I flew to Canada for testing, I was paranoid about someone else handling my Iaito when it wasn't in my sight and felt the same flying back to Boston.

How many mph would I have to drive to get to Vancouver, Canada from Boston in an hour?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga