FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#213565 - 01/25/06 08:07 AM Re: A question about attacks and response levels [Re: dhatcher]
tuxette Offline

Loc: Norway
Let me rephrase what I said then. If you disarm an attacker and take his or her weapon, this does not automatically give you the right to use that weapon against your attacker. In some cases, using that weapon against your attacker could screw you royally in the eyes of the law. But how cases are decided are according to the evidence that comes in, witness statements, CCTV footage if any, etc.

I don't know how an attacker would respond when disarmed. My initial guess is that in most cases, they would try to get away from you.

Has anyone gone through this in real life?

#213566 - 01/25/06 10:02 AM Re: A question about attacks and response levels [Re: tuxette]
Dedicated1 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Though I have never been in the situation of being attacked with a weapon outside of training, I would venture this guess. A weapon is the source of power for the attacker, it's what makes them feel in control and gives them a false sence of security. Take that away and they lose everything, they panic.

#213567 - 01/25/06 10:12 AM Re: A question about attacks and response levels [Re: Dedicated1]
tuxette Offline

Loc: Norway
Yes, but do they panic and run or panic and attack? Is it more likely to go one way or the other?

#213568 - 01/25/06 10:16 AM Re: A question about attacks and response levels [Re: Dedicated1]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
I have been in the situation of being attacked with a weapon. My mindset, even though I am new to MA, is that a weapon changes everything. They are a 'threat' only until they move. That is why I study weapons.

I always told my kids, that as far as I am concerned, the minute someone picks up a rock you should consider that they are willing to use it.

#213569 - 01/25/06 12:57 PM Re: A question about attacks and response levels [Re: tuxette]
Dedicated1 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
I think they would panic and try to regain that power, they would fight to get the weapon back. But that is why you do not try to take the weapon until it is time to do so. Control the weapon and beat them until they drop it.

#213570 - 01/25/06 05:07 PM Re: A question about attacks and response levels [Re: tuxette]
dhatcher Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Quote:

Let me rephrase what I said then. If you disarm an attacker and take his or her weapon, this does not automatically give you the right to use that weapon against your attacker. In some cases, using that weapon against your attacker could screw you royally in the eyes of the law. But how cases are decided are according to the evidence that comes in, witness statements, CCTV footage if any, etc.

I would venture to say this. If someone attacks you with a weapon (stick, rock, knife, gun etc.) and you manage to disarm them; if they come after you after being disarmed, you have every right in the world to use that weapon against them. Who knows!? They could have a backup that gives them the confidence to try to get their original weapon back.

If you disarm them and they run away, then I would say leave it at that. Call the cops, file a report and give a description.

The shitty thing about the eyes of the law as it were, is that now that you've studied some Krav Maga, you're considered a "trained killer," which means you have the obligation to protect the person attacking you ... to a degree. Your first obligation is to protect yourself and whoever you're with. And a little further down the ladder, shitty as it is, you have to protect the person attacking you.

But like I said, my judgement call is, if I take someone's weapon away from them and they keep coming... guess what? They're now going to be intimate with that weapons capability. If they stand still or leave, then ok fine.

#213571 - 01/25/06 06:45 PM Re: A question about attacks and response levels [Re: dhatcher]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
If somebody attackes you with a weapon, you then should do what ever you can to destroy them. it may, or may not, be the best tactic to use their own weapon against them, but in terms of the right, yes, you have the right, untill such time as they try to run away and cease the hostilities. if you think that they are simply trying to gain a little distance to attack you again, you could argue that.

#213572 - 03/13/06 06:10 PM Re: A question about attacks and response levels [Re: globetrotter]
PSYOPS Offline

I think that the key phrase to remember here is "reasonable use of force". If a person attacks you with any weapon and you manage to disarm the attacker you have every right to use a reasonable amount of force should that person attack you again.

I would also like to add that the way you articulate your actions is also a key. I would certainly not mention the fact that you have any specialized training. This does increase your liability should a conflict ensue. Just my opinion.

#213573 - 03/13/06 06:53 PM Re: A question about attacks and response levels [Re: dhatcher]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Quote:

The [censored] thing about the eyes of the law as it were, is that now that you've studied some Krav Maga, you're considered a "trained killer,"...

Trained Killer? Whaaaaaaaat?????????????

#213574 - 03/13/06 11:26 PM Re: A question about attacks and response levels [Re: csinca]
Dalen Offline

Loc: nj
My Krav experience is from the eighties, and it is not my primary style by any means (PDK is), but I am also someone who has been in a great number of altercations in my life, and experience has taught me that anything goes. It is not just a saying.
When my jaw was broken by a joe six pack I was too young and cocky to take seriously, i ended up with two screws in my jaw for the rest of my life, a $14,000 hospital bill, and six weeks out of work that led to my losing one of the best jobs I'd ever had.
Over twenty years later that nerve is still severed, I can only feel half of my face when I kiss my wife good night, and should I ever have future medical problems because of it, they will be pre-existing and not covered.
I was a black belt(had nearly 12 years in at that point and had done a lot of street fighting), the kid was an idiot...one of many in a long life of fighitng, cooking. bouncing.
Any attack- armed or unarmed can kill you, the attacker's intent has absolutely nothing to do with what effect they might have on you.
A broken hand can mean weeks out of work, a broken leg the same, etc... and a sad reality is that most who will attack you really don't mean you grievous harm, it is simply at the moment that more often than not they don't care.
Put them down, take them out...the faster the better.
Don't call the police unless you must, walk away. Wake up the next day go to work, train, live and love. Whatever happens to an attacker is more than deserved. Personaly at this point in my life I have learned to not even see them as humans.
I may sound sick to some. But I am going to work in the morning, I will wake up next to a loving wife, and I will train and work with others of similar opinion who are not stupid enough to die or be seriously harmed to hold up some societally accept concept of right and wrong.
I wish you the same.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga