FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#213362 - 02/13/06 01:31 AM Re: sparring tactics [Re: aiuchi1]
Crazy_Eyes Offline

Loc: British Columbia Canada
For hand techniques I would have to say over hand right, not sure if thats the right term, but when your oppenent jabs, punch over it and hit the oppening where their left hand should have been, works good if you are a taller guy.

ps, if you can understand what I mean from that sort of confusing post can someone tell me what that technique is called??

Edited by Crazy_Eyes (02/13/06 01:32 AM)

#213363 - 03/12/06 08:06 AM Re: sparring tactics [Re: Crazy_Eyes]
Eduardo Offline

Loc: Nadi, Fiji
Quote:

For hand techniques I would have to say over hand right, not sure if thats the right term, but when your oppenent jabs, punch over it and hit the oppening where their left hand should have been, works good if you are a taller guy.

ps, if you can understand what I mean from that sort of confusing post can someone tell me what that technique is called??

The way I interpret it, from a general fighting perspective, counterpunch seems about right. From a karateka's viewpoint (because I don't know what it is in TKD), it seems you're talking about something similar to but not exactly a hiji tsuri uke, or elbow sliding block, which is a block and punch rolled into one - you use your counter-punching arm, or the elbow of that arm to deflect your opponent's punch while trying to hit your opponent.

#213364 - 03/12/06 09:33 AM Re: sparring tactics [Re: euan]
Eduardo Offline

Loc: Nadi, Fiji
Quote:

what kind of tactics do you use during sparring or fighting??not asking for a list of attaks u like but more things like feints and follow ups footwork tricks leaving openings etc so how do YOU use them and have u got any personal tricks u like to use that u dont mind sharing.just thought this would be a good thing to discuss thanxs

It's not easy to describe here, but I'll try (and I'll put in some techical terms for the benefit of those who are not familiar with karate terminology - it would be nice of those from other styles to do the same, so we can all learn more from each other....

These are a few of my favourites tactics and combos.
  • For combos, you can use the first attack as a feint to open up the mid-level, or use them in combination. I suggest you vary the levels and the order as well.
  • High roundhouse kick (jodan mawashi geri), followed by a mid-level side kick (chudan yoko geri) with the same leg, and then a jab (kizami zuki) or backfist (uraken uchi) with the forward arm, and a reverse punch (gyaku zuki).
  • High side kick followed by a mid- to low-level side kick (I find it easier to kick from high to low rather than low to high)
  • Step/hop towards your opponent (straight forward or forward to either side at an angle) throw a high jab, then a mid-level reverse punch, and a front-leg side (or front) kick or a back-leg roundhouse (or front) kick.
  • High jab, low reverse punch, low jab, high backfist, while moving sideways beteween each strike to create confusion.
  • If your opponent kicks high, use a rising block (age uke) while moving forward - if it's allowed - they'll usually fall, or at least be off balance for a while and that would be enough time to follow up with a sweep or takedown.
  • Similar to what many others have mentioned, but this one I learned from my computer opponents while playing Punch-Out!! and Super Punch-Out!!:chamber your punch (or kick), or pretend to lunge towards your opponent, and sometimes your opponent will react too early, giving you an opening...
  • If your opponent is taller, go for punches and takedowns, and if shorter go for kicks and sweeps.
  • Try to catch your opponent's arm or leg, and then pull it towards you while striking with a kick or the other arm (for additional practice for this, throw two tennis balls - one in each hand - against a wall and try to catch them).
  • With grappling, I have limited experience, and no formal training, but try to keep facing your opponent and keep your back away, and if your opponent happens to be behind you, turn quickly if you can.
  • Try to vary the locations of your strikes.
  • Pretend it's a real-life self-defense situation - just don't take it too seriously and hurt your opponent/partner too badly (maybe you can also pretend that you are only allowed to disable your opponent temporarily and not permanently).
  • Yell (kiai) or grunt or make some kind of sound before striking, and maybe lunge towards your opponent - it sometimes puts your opponent off-guard - just be ready to attack immediately, or to defend and counter.
  • Try to see your opponent as a whole, and don't focus on a specific area such as the chest, feet, hands, or the eyes. Be especially aware of your opponent's limbs. If you intend to strike at a specific area, strike there but look at another part of your opponent - where you want your opponent to think you'll strike.

...There are so many more possibilities.... they just need time, creativity and practice, and I've learned a lot from reading other posts and articles on this site. There's plenty of good information on these in the FightingArts Reading Room....

Oh, yeah - never ever attempt to kick someone a lot taller than you if the sparring is serious - unless your opponent is slow and your kicks are lightning fast or you intend to kick lower than your waste (or better yet - your knee). The risk of breaking your neck is too high and just not worth it....

#213365 - 05/05/06 07:47 AM Re: sparring tactics [Re: Eduardo]
    Dobbersky Offline
    Peace Works!!!!
    Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
    I have a question, whether I am in the right thread is one, but I might get an answer. My Martial Arts history is via Muay Thai, Tang Soo Do, Atemi Jujitsu and Fighting Karate (SABAKI) I tend to adopt a Muay Thai Stance for Kumite and as result Shin Block Many Kicks form every angle. I don't at this moment wish to blend my styles at the moment unless the common sensus says I should.
    I was completing the Kumite for my next grade 2Kyu (I needed to pass this to grade, which I did), the Adults aren't that big in numbers at the moment, but I've seen these shrink and expand through the years as with other clubs, so I was Sparring with Kyu Grades and Dan Grades alike.
    My main point is, I got rear leg swept (whilst anticipating a Body kick with a typical Muay Thai Shin/Arm Block) by a (New Blood) white belt, (He'd trained in Shotokan before (previous grade unknown)) it was an excellent technique, but I was/am angry with myself that he managed to get that on me, Its been going through my mind for 4 days now and I need resolution, I underestimated my opponent, as I alway 'hold back' on lower Kyu grades (Allowing them to control the pace). Can anyone help? where am I going wrong, I've never been sweeped before from this stance.

Osu

Ken

#213366 - 05/08/06 03:17 PM Re: sparring tactics [Re: Dobbersky]
    Stormdragon Offline
    Who Dares Wins
    Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
    I sometimes will crouch, cover up and pressure into my opponent while slamming hooks and uppercuts to their body. Sometimes I'll stay back and move in and out throwing a lot of consecutive jabs and straight rights. If my opponent is a charger I'll keep them at long range with hard front kicks and side kicks and some round house kicks. I also like to get in close and do a lot of trapping wing chun style. And I do a lot of clinching, while following with knees or takedowns.
    Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#213367 - 05/08/06 05:47 PM Re: sparring tactics [Re: Dobbersky]
    theoldone Offline

Dobbersky,

Not sure about the specifics of your situation, so this would be kind of generalized. Why shin-block when you can move the target out of the way? Or jam their kicks by moving in and/or at an angle away from the direction of the incoming kick?

The way I see it, unless you really condition (read harden) your legs the way MT fighters do, you'll just end up with a lot of bruises and maybe some injury down the line. Sure, if you're still young, you can withstand the pain, but when you get older, you just might feel the effects.

I have personally seen someone's leg break from blocking a kick (it was more like a clash of legs rather a full-powered intentional kick). The attacker tried to throw a roundhouse and the the defender lifted his leg up. Somehow the angle of the kick was such that it landed on the side of the defender's lower leg, hitting both the tibia and fibular square on, and the leg broke. The defender fell down, his right leg at a 90 degree angle towards his knee, connected only by muscles. Wasn't pretty.

As for your getting swept down, the problem wasn't your technique. It was making assumptions about what your opponent would do. And you also assumed that kicks were always directed at a body target *because* you had that handy shin-block for defense. Meaning you had a hammer and saw every thing as a nail.

Assume nothing. Try experimenting with changing that shin-block to a less punishing defense technique.

#213368 - 05/09/06 08:03 AM Re: sparring tactics [Re: theoldone]
    Dobbersky Offline
    Peace Works!!!!
    Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
    Thanks Guys,
    I really appreciate you words of advise, I agree totally with what you say.
    The one thing is, I will have to re-learn how to 'fight'. I have decided that I must go back to the source (traditional Karate) to do so.
    I will continue with Ashihara Karate (AK) and Atemi Jujitsu (AJJ), but I will replace Krav Maga with Wado Ryu Karate (this is the only style, which has an excellent pedigree, close to my home and has lessons on days I can attend) as most techniques from 'Krav Maga' can be found in 'AK' and my 'AJJ'.
    Therefore it looks like I'll be doing 100's of sit-ups, for each time I try to shin Block, until it is replaced with something less punishing.
    I will have to begin again to achieve resolution.

Ken

#213369 - 05/10/06 09:10 AM Re: sparring tactics [Re: Eduardo]
    Revanus Offline

Loc: No ( r ) way
    I have some nice ones ( i think)

* First, go right, your opponent will follow up by going to the opposite direction. Then go left, midway from right to left, attack. Why? Because while travelling from side to side with your opponent doing the same, the distance is shortened by about 50 cm midways, plus he/she won't be expecting an attack in the middle of a side-to-side movement.

(Anybody figured that one out?)

* The second the match starts, attack. I prefer to slam a mawashi-geri yodan in from the right, the opponent won't be excpecting it and looks like he/she have seen a ghost when the kick hits... ---> Remember kiai!!!

* When the opponent attacks with a lunge punch, step back and go for a ura-mawashi yodan to the same hand side he/she punches with. (If he punches with right hand, go left and kick to the right side of his/her head and visa-verca) The opponent may also be out of balance after missing with the punch too if your'e lucky!

Feel free to correct me, i'm not an excpert, but i hope someone will find this useful..

#213370 - 05/11/06 12:57 AM Re: sparring tactics [Re: Crazy_Eyes]
    Mr_Heretik Offline
    Veteran

Loc: Bronx NY, USA
    The "rising scoop block"...yeah you all know exactly what I'm talking about. I hate that thing...

#213371 - 05/18/06 11:27 PM Re: sparring tactics [Re: Mr_Heretik]
    ChronicGMV Offline

Loc: Miami, Florida
    (Assuming you're fighting with your left leg in front) Leap forward and jam his hand with your left forearm as you punch with the right(reverse punch?).

Another I like is a backleg mawashigeri(sp?) followed by a back kick.

I find a spinning back kick is an awesome counter-attack for a back legged mawashigeri.

Bleh. Too lazy to list anymore. :P

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
    1.5 Million Plus Page Views
    Monthly
    Only $89
    Details

Ryukyu Art
    Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
    Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
    Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
    Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga