FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#213123 - 12/09/05 03:42 AM Old training days and a great instructor
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Here's a story of a day of training with David Syfert(4thdan)

Mr.Syfert was all goju,but he was hard more than soft,the other instructor complimented the soft.
We would go to Davids house two or three times a week to train and it was alwasy brutal. We started out with a few minutes of stretching,then on to the workout. We would do shiko-dachi(horse stance)as well as many other basics up and down his 1/2 mile driveway for a long while. All the while we were being corrected on our stance,angles,foot and body position,etc..
Then we would run two miles (with Mr.Syfert leaving us behind) to the high school football field. There we would do sprints up and down the bleachers,sometimes on out feet,sometimes on our knuckles. We would run around the track a few times and then on to basics for a while. During basics there were always plenty of knuckle pushups to do. Mr.Syfert had a dry but funny sense of humor and we weren't allowed to laugh at his antics. He would make little piles of gravel for our knuckles,push down on us while we were in a stance,etc..
After a few more training rituals we would run back to his house for sparring(yeah,I was dead tired). Seems like alot of knuckle push-ups and situps found their way into that mix as well.lol!! He would do the counting and reprimanding and we would say "YES SIR" in cadence. Seems like he was a terrible counter as well. "What number was I on Mr.Stone?" ..um 32 sir? "No,ONE!" ..yes sir.. It was always one I found out (I'm a slow learner!) There was always blood letting and puking from someone in class(usually me),but it was a great feeling afterwards,always.
David Syfert died of lung cancer in 1998. He was as good instructor as there ever was. I will remember him fondly as that and a good friend as well.Our school still does 25 "Syfert hops" at the end of every class and his space on the certificates will always remain blank.
Just thought I'd share with you some memories of some good goju training.

#213124 - 12/09/05 08:31 AM Re: Old training days and a great instructor [Re: BrianS]
h2whoa Offline

Loc: Fiji
When was the last time you were in a dojo?

*bows respectfully*

#213125 - 12/09/05 09:02 AM Re: Old training days and a great instructor [Re: BrianS]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
Yup, know what you mean, they were the days. Thought about surprising the adult class one knight with some outdoor knuckle push ups in the dirt, might even take them for a short run in the snow, that ought to wake'm up, ha! Sometimes it's nice to have a little shock and awe type "shugyo" style training. I can hear Shihan now,,,"I got a call from Bob last today and he doesn't understand the snow technique you pulled off last night what were you thinking... sorry Shihan it won't happen again"

#213126 - 12/09/05 08:37 PM Re: Old training days and a great instructor [Re: h2whoa]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Quote:

When was the last time you were in a dojo?

*bows respectfully*

When I was 17 we worked out in a national guard armory for a couple of years. Never had a real dojo.

#213127 - 12/09/05 09:36 PM Re: Old training days and a great instructor [Re: BrianS]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Cool story, Brian.

My first AKK instructor was somewhat similar in the sense that he would do all kinds of things to break your concentration (tell jokes, fart, drop his pants (!), etc.), and if you laughed or lost it, you had to either start over or do pushups.

My concentration is pretty good today, Thanks to Prof. Hans Kleimisch.

#213128 - 12/09/05 10:12 PM Re: Old training days and a great instructor [Re: BrianS]
h2whoa Offline

Loc: Fiji
So when was your lastreal serious training?

*bows respectfully*

#213129 - 12/09/05 10:25 PM Re: Old training days and a great instructor [Re: h2whoa]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Earlier this year(spring)before the first surgery. At about this time last year we had a blackbelt test. That was awesome! I miss it,can't wait to get back into it!

#213130 - 12/09/05 11:33 PM Re: Old training days and a great instructor [Re: BrianS]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

We used to run from the dojo to the local H.S. track and work out on the field in the middle. when I was about 15 or 16, I had pizza 30 minutes before going to class. Most are familiar with the Sanchin training where your body is hit from different angles by the sensei while performing this kata...I blew my pizza all over the field after a hard hit to the stomach....and then continued doing the kata. lol

Brian, did you guys ever try training in sand dunes? we used to go to a local quarry and workout. endless reps of squat-kicks were brutal. fun stuff.

A few times we had an entire 2hr class without the dojo lights on.

Sanchin in the snow, at 0F.

some of the training we did in the 70's,80's was probably mis-guided, but at the very least it contributed to building strength and character. The spirit you have to dig deep for to be able to continue....don't know if that kind of training had a direct impact on my technique - but I know that mindset has helped on a few occations. helped with overcoming college, Father's death, divorce, and drinking problem. There was a direct link to the feeling of pushing on, plowing thru and dealing with it. Everyone probably knows the feeling to differing extents.
I train differently now - not as physically demanding, but the feeling has stayed with me from the old training days. I'm lucky.

#213131 - 12/09/05 11:42 PM Re: Old training days and a great instructor [Re: Ed_Morris]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Quote:

Brian, did you guys ever try training in sand dunes? we used to go to a local quarry and workout. endless reps of squat-kicks were brutal. fun stuff.

Nope,never in sand dunes. We did go to the cemetary,park,river,etc. I remember doing sanchin kata about 50gazillion times by the river while I was beat on,yeah,pasta before class was a bad idea!
You better not miss class just because it was raining or cold! Lightning storms are a no-no though.

Quote:

some of the training we did in the 70's,80's was probably mis-guided, but at the very least it contributed to building strength and character. The spirit you have to dig deep for to be able to continue....don't know if that kind of training had a direct impact on my technique - but I know that mindset has helped on a few occations. helped with overcoming college, Father's death, divorce, and drinking problem. There was a direct link to the feeling of pushing on, plowing thru and dealing with it. Everyone probably knows the feeling to differing extents.
I train differently now - not as physically demanding, but the feeling has stayed with me from the old training days. I'm lucky.

Ed,
I can relate to alot of what you wrote(all except the 70's part *old fart*). You are lucky and we're lucky to have you.
I'll tell you,basic training was a breeze after Mr.Syfert,seriously.

#213132 - 12/10/05 12:36 AM Re: Old training days and a great instructor [Re: BrianS]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

thanks Brian. I know you know what I'm talking about... I haven't had to really deal with looking Death in the face and giving it the middle finger like you have. I've only had close calls that were over in an instant.

Believe me, it's us who are lucky to have you here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga