FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 66 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
SoulJah22 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#212245 - 12/06/05 06:30 PM Making Tonfas
Da_Man Offline

Hey I was thinking of making tonfas for a friend of mine for his birthday. He had always wanted one, but never got around to it. Mu question is this:

- What type of wood should I ask for at Home Depot?
- How much would it cost?
- Can I use a large dowel for the gripping part?
- What could I use to secure the handle/gripping part to the rest of the stick? (glue/screw/nail)
- What is the dimensions of a typical pair of tonfa?
- How long do you think it would take me?

Thanks, I really want to know this ASAP. I would like to be able to make this cheap and fast, because I have other presents to work on.

#212246 - 12/06/05 07:35 PM Re: Making Tonfas [Re: Da_Man]
WuXing Offline

Loc: Idaho, USA
Usually the tonfa handle is actually stuck through the main shaft. That main shaft should be wider than the handle. Really traditional Okinawan versions had rectangular shafts. Where the two sticks interect, they can be fastened with glue, and a small dowell drilled through both. The mass produced ones often just use glue, but I've reinforced mine with small nails because they often become loose after some use.

They should be made from oak, or maybe ash if you can find it. Definately hard wood, that is heavy and strong. You need momentum behind those swings to break things, and be able to strike other weapons without breaking.

For the dimensions, it's really depends on how long your friend's arms are. She short end of the shaft should extend around 6 inches from the handle. The longer end of the shaft should extend about an inch or two past your elbow, when held. Handle should be the height of the shaft, plus enough to extend over your fist by an inch or so. I'm sure there are websites that cover these things, too. The width of the shaft depends on preference, more traditional ones will be the same width for the entire length. Newer machined versions, or specially crafted ones may slightly taper at the ends, and are round rather than rectangular. Sometimes you see the corners cut off, giving an octagonal look.

Edited by WuXing (12/06/05 07:48 PM)

#212247 - 12/07/05 12:39 AM Re: Making Tonfas [Re: Da_Man]
swseibukan Offline

Loc: Lakewood, Colorado
American made tonfa. I've got a pair that I made from two old baseball bats about 25 years ago. Yep, did it all buy hand. Used a workmate bench, handsaw, plain and bit and brace.

Removed finish with laquert thinner and steel wool. Cut off approximately 8" off the grip and about an inch or two off the fat end at a slight angle. Placed each of the larger pieces in a clamp and plained off about 1/2" of material and created a flat surface about 2/3 the width of the bat. Took the smaller pieces and cut the down to the width of my hand + the depth of the larger section measured from the inside of the knob. Drilled holes in the main section approximately 6" from the fat end, hand sanded the handle ends, glued and pressure fitted. Finish sanded and ailed the whole kit. Took me maybe 8 hours total in my apartment kitchen. So if you have a shop and good tools nat you disposal, it'll be a snap.

Eventually had to replace the handles, but the tonfa are still in service.

Pat

Patience my ass Iím going to kill something

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga