FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 3
Victor Smith 1
ergees 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#211493 - 12/05/05 12:04 AM Why are geniuses never truly happy?
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
One of our members has/had a signature line that said "I'll rather be happy than right". There have been other threads with links to documents over the last few days (here and bullshido) where it was painfully obvious that the writer was both highly intelligent and not really happy in life. Looking upon my own life, I see the same thing. I'm highly intelligent, I've learned alot in my short life, but I'm not truly happy with my life. Look throughout history, and all the people who come across as intelligent, or even geniuses, also come across as being less than happy most of their lives. Examples would include Abraham Lincoln, Napoleon Bonaparte, Albert Einstein, etc. Can anyone think of a reason why this is?

#211494 - 12/05/05 12:18 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline
Resident Forum Breakdancer

I think it has to go along the cliched lines of:

Ignorance is bliss
What you don't know, can't hurt you

This might just be a correlation, not a cause.
These people were also under enormous stress in their days, they had a LOT to do, a lot of responsabilities, and a lot to think about. Being the smarty pants that they were, people probably looked up to them, expected and demanded answers and perfection from them....

Like I said though, this is probably just an interesting correlation rather than causation.....
There's a good study most psych classes use to illustrate this point, about toasters and birth control. I can't remember the name of it, or the researchers, but it's a common example of why correlation does not equal causation.

#211495 - 12/05/05 12:19 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Bushi,

The reason...you don't generally focus on the happy geniuses, because they don't complain.

Life is hard on many levels. How you view and accept life and how you live your life will engender happiness, or not.

Rememeber Aristotle...the unexamined life is one not worth living. I would have an addendum to that and state that if you have found things unhappy in life, correct what you can and abide the rest. Happiness on one level will take care of itself.

I hope things work out for you.

-B

#211496 - 12/05/05 01:06 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Foolsgold Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Lyon, MI, USA
LOL! We just can't win, can we?

(Or lose. This is, after all, the zen forum. )

#211497 - 12/05/05 01:09 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

take this with a grain of salt bushi...I'm just picking on you, but there is a point.

I'd rather be happy AND right. When I see cake, I like to eat it too.

Abraham Lincoln - civil war was probably kindof a 'downer'.

Napoleon Bonaparte - what conquoer in history has ever been happy? oh, I'm happy with taking west Europe, think I'll stop here. nope...on to Russia!

Albert Einstein - women problems and WW2 Germany...can you blame him?

how about Mozart? money trouble.
Da Vinci? church and political problems. (too bad he didn't invent separation of church and state)
Steven Hawking? seems happy to me despite the wheel chair, incurable disease and life support.

maybe they became who they are BECAUSE of the hardship and sadness that follows? maybe it takes extrodanary circumstances to make people extrodanary.

now Edgar Allan Poe and Van Gogh were some unhappy fellas...not sure what happened there. think it was abject fear of death and a broken heart.

#211498 - 12/05/05 01:21 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Ed_Morris]
Foolsgold Offline
Veteran

I actually think there's something to what Bushi is saying. For instance, when I read this verse:

23Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. (Mat 19)

...I think of it as applying to all things in life (intelligence, skills, ability, social status, etc.). The more we have, the more we have to lose. I know that there's something like this in the Tao te Ching (sp?), but I'm not as familiar with that. It was something like: With wisdom comes war and poverty, with foolishness comes peace and joy.

Wow, I butchered that.

#211499 - 12/05/05 01:26 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Bushi,
If it makes you feel any better I know stupid people that aren't happy either.

#211500 - 12/05/05 01:46 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: BrianS]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

LMAO

#211501 - 12/05/05 02:29 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: BrianS]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

It's not that I'm necessarily unhappy with my life. There have been good parts to it. Part of what triggered this thread is that recently I was looking at alot of photos of myself, and it seems that from about the age of twelve, each year, the smile seems more and more forced, or less and less a smile. In fact, it seems the periods of time I enjoyed the most were when I was focused entirely on some serious task.

I guess some element of loneliness might have something to do with it. I have only three really close friends that I can sit and talk to for long periods of time, and that is only because they are also more intelligent than average. Perhaps living in a more populated area might alleviate some of that, but as some of you know, I'm somewhat limited in my ability to move, hence joining the Army. I expect that there are many people out in the world today who have above average IQs, who get to do a job related to what they are truly passionate about, but we never hear about such people. They would be the auto mechanic who could give you the stats of every NASCAR race ever, or the clerk at Barnes & Noble who is consumed by reading. But in this area, I have been denied jobs related to the things I'm interested in, despite multiple applications (I guess the video game stores don't want me becuase they figure I'll spend all my time on the demo systems while at work ) I do know that much of my lack of happiness is due to knowing that I have so much potential going unfullfilled. All I need though, is an opportunity, which hasn't well been presented to me at this point (the people who could have made such an opportunity keep messing things up royally, except for my recruiter) Perhaps it's just a matter of time, and enlisting, and having the opportunity to excel. I will know soon enough.

#211502 - 12/05/05 03:26 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Alicia Offline

Loc: BC, Canada
Why geniuses aren't ever really happy is because they're smart enough to figure out the system. We are all controlled to maintain the structure of society. If we weren't to cooperate, the structure would collapse. We base our lives around capital, something to which we assign value, and consequently, something artificial that will never truly make us happy. Break the cycle. Find out what really makes you happy (things that aren't harmful to anyone), and try to incorporate it in your daily life as much as possible. Don't focus on money. Earn enough money to be comfortable. Don't base your life on it. Base your life on happiness, and money to simply pay for the necessities. This is all easier said than done.

If you like videogames, try to find a realistic videogame-related job. Once in a while, there will be jobs posted in local BC papers for people wanting work as video game testers - people who test out video games for a living. Find out if there are any opportunities like this in your area.

#211503 - 12/05/05 04:26 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
I see in your profile that your last name is Goforth; well, I am sure you know what I am about to say, so I am not saying it, except to say, at your age, you ain't seen nothing yet.

There is a good chance you will be sent to Iraq after your BMT; when you step on American soil again, tell us how lucky you really are.

All of us, smart or stupid, have our life's little wars to fight.

There is an old chinese saying which goes like this -- stupid people have their own special kind of happiness. So it seems the 'problem' is not new after all.

I chose that signature because I've found out a long time ago that being 'right' does not necessarily make you happy. The former is flitting, the latter stays a while longer, at least.

You will find that as you advance in age, say passed 55, (read nearer to the grave) nothing, absolutely nothing is more important than happiness.

#211504 - 12/05/05 08:09 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
"Superior intelligence breeds superior ambition."

It's all about...ego. The toughest fight you'll ever have.

About jobs: I know plenty of seniors, high school and college, who graduate into unemployment. It's the economics of our times.

About happiness: like Brian said, I know plenty of unhappy people...rich and poor...smart and stupid. Being smart doesn't solve your problems, it just adds an extra layer of complexity to your life...you still deal with the same things everybody else does. I don't know what makes other people happy, but after 40 plus years of crap I've recently found some things that cultivate a happy outlook, and that lasts through adverse times:

1. Smiling..it makes me feel good. I don't care how stupid it sounds...just do it as often as you can...a biofeedback loop of some sort.

2. Sitting still in a pleasant place. My favorite types of places are outside/nature, empty churches and libraries...and of course...the dojo. It is a 'centering' exercise.

3. Surrounding myself with people that are 'good' for me. People that bring lightness to my heart.

4. Self-cultivation. I think one finds happiness with peace, and that comes from an internal journey.

Edited by harlan (12/05/05 08:26 AM)

#211505 - 12/05/05 09:20 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: harlan]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

As for me I'm an idiot. Everyday is Christmas and every meal is a feast.

#211506 - 12/05/05 09:22 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: oldman]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

More like...an Idiot/Savant!

#211507 - 12/05/05 10:02 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: harlan]
phoenixsflame Offline

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
Another issue that hasn't really been brought up is Peers.

A genius has few peers, least of all themselves. These geniuses you've spoken of have all had amazing concepts, but their actual interaction with the world was less than stellar.

More often than not, those who are brillant in one field or another, have trouble removing themselves from their own head. This causes great problems with their happiness level, because just like anyone else. They want to find friends, love, companionship. If you are to wrapped up in mathmematical equations or strategic movements, or art, or martial arts, or writing. You find that you alienate all people in your life by accident. Not because you do not want them there, but because the lightning crashes against the walls of your skull and you are pulled into your own mind. You write on whatever you can find, walls, floor, your own arm. When you break your reverie, you are alone... By no innate desire of your own.

You find yourself resting in a very snug hermetic cave, placed there by your own obsession and "brillance". In truth, isn't genius just another illness? Another form of psychosis that although breeds amazing and sometimes beautiful creations. Ends up causing chronic misery among those whom bear its laurels?

Thats the lonliness factor, and I think a lot of people have the general right idea. Those who cannot see the mechanics of the governmental/societal machine will usually be "surprised" when good things happen and "Disappointed" when bad things do. But, those are transitory emotions because something "new" will come about soon. To those who can see the gears, they must be able to see what is "coming" before it does. Thus, no good and no bad surprises. In the end, would breed a kind of apathy wouldn't it?

Such a silly little term genius is. Intelligence is the ability to understand the logical movements of our world. Yet, the emotional ripples are the ones that are least understood by those who are supposedly gifted geniuses.

I wonder how many of them, honestly, when approached would've traded their gifts for the ability to be blissfully unaware and happy with the simplicities...

That does raise the question though, can a Genius become enlightened in this lifetime?

If a "Genius" is unable to remove the attachments to their field of study, or shrug off the burden of their own concious mind. Will they ever be able to move past it and allow their thoughts to still?

Maybe that is the source of their unhappiness, somewhere deep in their psyche they know that they will never move beyond the concious mind. That would make me unhappy knowing Like a splinter in my eye socket. Not being able to see where it was, but definately feeling its burn.

#211508 - 12/05/05 10:11 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: phoenixsflame]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Well, leaving the topics of alienation and social skills out of it:

Well, who are one's 'peers'? Again, it is about...ego. If you think of 'peers' as 'class' you can see how hollow that interaction can be. Fill your days with interactions with your peers, and go home to an empty house. Where is the happiness then?

#211509 - 12/05/05 10:39 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: harlan]
phoenixsflame Offline

Quote:

Well, leaving the topics of alienation and social skills out of it:

Well, who are one's 'peers'? Again, it is about...ego. If you think of 'peers' as 'class' you can see how hollow that interaction can be. Fill your days with interactions with your peers, and go home to an empty house. Where is the happiness then?

Yes. Thats exactly what I just said.

But, the ego of a genius is one that is gained not because of their thoughts, but because of the elevation of their status to "genius"...

But, the destruction of ego is at the fore-front of buddhist precepts. Soo... its a given that would have to be taken care of.

And come on people. What about the question of Genius V. Enlightenment? Is it one or the other? (Obviously a person whose a Genius with Buddhism would have a leg up to enlightenment... Or would they? ;D)

#211510 - 12/05/05 10:49 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: phoenixsflame]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Sounds like one of the forbidden 'either/or' threads!

Whatever floats your boat. Are you happy with intellect? Fine. But the one thing I have read is that you can't think your way to 'enlightenment'. Or to put it differently, intelligence can only get you so far.

I have encountered online a lot of what I call 'sutrists' who don't seem very 'realized'. Intellectually brilliant folks that I feel are trapped in delusion by the very pursuit of knowledge.

#211511 - 12/05/05 11:00 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: harlan]
phoenixsflame Offline

Quote:

Sounds like one of the forbidden 'either/or' threads!

Whatever floats your boat. Are you happy with intellect? Fine. But the one thing I have read is that you can't think your way to 'enlightenment'. Or to put it differently, intelligence can only get you so far.

I have encountered online a lot of what I call 'sutrists' who don't seem very 'realized'. Intellectually brilliant folks that I feel are trapped in delusion by the very pursuit of knowledge.

Of course its a beautifully forbidden thread...

Mmm, Forbidden Fruit...

I think you hit it right on the nose.

So, doesn't that extend to everything then?

You can't think yourself happy. You can't think yourself complete...

So many people forget that, though you may be intelligent, it is meaningless because thoughts and conceptions, theories and intellect pose only rhetoric for the mind.

They don't actually bear any fruit, beyond the basic questioning of buddhism.

Without questioning everything, we obviously can't really in our hearts study Buddhism. But, unless we try to *feel* after we've questioned, we're kind of in a catch 22.

#211512 - 12/05/05 11:04 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: phoenixsflame]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Yup. Many people define themselves with their intellect. To realize that intelligence is nothing, to let go of ego, is terrifying. Therefore, the grasping...and the unhappiness.

#211513 - 12/05/05 11:32 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: harlan]
Foolsgold Offline
Veteran

Don't get what I said wrong, by the way. Smart people can be happy, I think it's just harder for them.

#211514 - 12/05/05 11:36 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Foolsgold]
Foolsgold Offline
Veteran

Question for everybody: Is being happy your final goal, or a stepping stone, or both, or unnecessary?

#211515 - 12/05/05 11:37 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Foolsgold]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Hmmm...I think that people are so individual that what is hard for one is easy for another. I'm guilty of generalization myself but this topic from the beginning been a generalization.

#211516 - 12/05/05 11:42 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Foolsgold]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

My final goal is to be dead. However, I'm hoping that that isn't the end.

#211517 - 12/05/05 11:46 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: harlan]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
How does one gauge their life as "happy" or "unhappy"?

I'm happy now because I've had a restful night's sleep and am relaxing at home. I will soon go to work and more than likely have to yell at someone for doing their job incorrectly. I will then be unhappy. I might help another person find a treat that their pet truly enjoys and they'll walk out the door with a smile on their face. I will have a smile on my face as well and be happy. Maybe on the way home I'll be cut off by a bad driver and cuss them out under my breath. I will be unhappy. I'll get the mail, possibly a sweet card from my fiance(she does stuff like that), I will be happy. Dirty dishes, unhappy. Funny Family Guy episode, happy. Stay up too late, unhappy. Back in my comfy bed, happy.

Was I happy or unhappy today?

#211518 - 12/05/05 11:47 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: harlan]
phoenixsflame Offline

My goal is to raise my son and publish my works in hope that it helps someone towards the better road.

Happiness is never really forefront in my mind... Contentment and Balance yes, if happiness comes of that. So be it, if not. Just as good.

#211519 - 12/05/05 11:51 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: harlan]
Foolsgold Offline
Veteran

Joel- You tell me.

Quote:

My final goal is to be dead.

Aren't you a bundle of joy?

#211520 - 12/05/05 11:53 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: JoelM]
phoenixsflame Offline

Quote:

How does one gauge their life as "happy" or "unhappy"?

I'm happy now because I've had a restful night's sleep and am relaxing at home. I will soon go to work and more than likely have to yell at someone for doing their job incorrectly. I will then be unhappy. I might help another person find a treat that their pet truly enjoys and they'll walk out the door with a smile on their face. I will have a smile on my face as well and be happy. Maybe on the way home I'll be cut off by a bad driver and cuss them out under my breath. I will be unhappy. I'll get the mail, possibly a sweet card from my fiance(she does stuff like that), I will be happy. Dirty dishes, unhappy. Funny Family Guy episode, happy. Stay up too late, unhappy. Back in my comfy bed, happy.

Was I happy or unhappy today?

I think the term happy is incorrect. Since, happiness is transitory and will come and go. But, are you content? Are you "happy" with where you are, even if you are in an unhappy situation?

Not to be confused with the lack of inertia "content" of someone who will stay where they are just because they are "content" and want to strive for nothing more. No, more of a "I am content with who I am, and although happiness and unhappiness come and go. I will still be positive and smile through it."

That kind of thing...

Did that make sense? I'm realizing I may be babbling a bit, and apologize. Narcotics are bad.

#211521 - 12/05/05 11:58 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Foolsgold]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Joel- You tell me.

It doesn't matter, because the same stuff will happen tomorrow to a different tune.

edit- phoenix, I guess I would say that I am content. But always looking for the opportunity to be more content.

Edited by JoelM (12/05/05 12:00 PM)

#211522 - 12/05/05 12:01 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: JoelM]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Happiness can be a transitory aspect, or not. I'm of the mind that it doesn't matter. Or rather, again, the pursuit of it is the problem. "happiness is fleeting"...it comes in moments, and if you are fully aware, those moments will last longer. It is in the passing of these fleeting moments, the desire to hang on to them, to cling, to form an attachment to the feeling, that can drive a person to pursue money, fame, security, etc....even though there is no intrinsic happiness to be found by 'having' any of those things. Therefore, the conundrum: you are rich in material things and yet still don't 'have' happiness.

#211523 - 12/05/05 12:06 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: harlan]
phoenixsflame Offline

Quote:

Happiness can be a transitory aspect, or not. I'm of the mind that it doesn't matter. Or rather, again, the pursuit of it is the problem. "happiness is fleeting"...it comes in moments, and if you are fully aware, those moments will last longer. It is in the passing of these fleeting moments, the desire to hang on to them, to cling, to form an attachment to the feeling, that can drive a person to pursue money, fame, security, etc....even though there is no intrinsic happiness to be found by 'having' any of those things. Therefore, the conundrum: you are rich in material things and yet still don't 'have' happiness.

So in other words, let the happiness of the past fade as a pleasant memory and embrace the happiness of the now so that you can continue forward and live your life instead of living in the past.

*nods* sounds good to me.

I agree with Joel on this one too, we can be content with where we are, but always ready to move forward. Zanshin of Contentedness!

#211524 - 12/05/05 12:14 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: phoenixsflame]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I agree with Joel on this one too, we can be content with where we are, but always ready to move forward. Zanshin of Contentedness!

Yay!! I got something right! Now I'm hap...er, more content.

#211525 - 12/05/05 12:16 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: JoelM]
phoenixsflame Offline

Quote:

Yay!! I got something right! Now I'm hap...er, more content.

See, you can be happy. You just are happy content. *snickers* I figure once I say something smart, I can be happy. But, then I'll say ten things that are dumb... and I'll be unhappy... But, I'll be content the whole time. Woo!

#211526 - 12/05/05 12:21 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: phoenixsflame]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Snickers can make me content, mostly because of their content.

#211527 - 12/05/05 12:24 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: JoelM]
phoenixsflame Offline

Quote:

Snickers can make me content, mostly because of their content.

Hmm. thats worrisome Joel, does that mean you're only content when you're content is nuts and caramel?

(Content, content... get it? A dove dove into the bush?)

#211528 - 12/05/05 12:25 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: phoenixsflame]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Hey, it's got chocolate, too.

(content, content-that was my joke)

#211529 - 12/05/05 12:29 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: JoelM]
phoenixsflame Offline

Quote:

Hey, it's got chocolate, too.

(content, content-that was my joke)

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

So are you telling us, you've got a fine sweet coating and you're really salty, chewy and crunchy inside?

#211530 - 12/05/05 12:59 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: phoenixsflame]
ChangLab Offline
Sleepy-ninja

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
Great posts all!
(if anyone gets to this point and hasn't read the whole thread I would humbly suggest that you do so, this is a great thread)

I have struggled in the past with happiness, as I will in the future. that's life .
I believe happiness is somewhat of a choice.
there are "Universal Truths" that buhiddism(sp?) hits upon very well.
a few that I've learned are:
1.only change is constant......yup folks if you like it now, hold on cause it's gonna change, for the better?, maby. for the worse, maby..

2.people will be people......aint free will great? you cannot change anothers mind, opinion,or perspective.
unless they let you.you will meet or more acuratly be affected by many different "typs" of people. can't change it , better just accept it.

3 it's not what you see, it's how you see it....
everyone has thier own perspective, thier own way of seeing the same thing you are looking at.yes even the blind.
as far as explaining what you see or your point of view see #2.this is where the choice part comes in. try to find the good in bad,the beauty in something repulsive.

as far as the jeanius thing goes intelligence does make life more complex,but your attitude makes(more acuratly ALLOWES you) to be happy. a big issue with alot of people I've met is control
control your emotions, control your self, control your surroundings, control the people around you, control.
Sometimes (more often than we think) we have no control.
that is where acceptance comes in.

this is getting pretty long I'd hate to upset anyone here by my ramblings!

"It's my mind.......I'll play with it if I want to!"

#211531 - 12/05/05 01:53 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: ChangLab]
Foolsgold Offline
Veteran

Quote:

as far as the jeanius thing goes intelligence does make life more complex,but your attitude makes(more acuratly ALLOWES you) to be happy. a big issue with alot of people I've met is control
control your emotions, control your self, control your surroundings, control the people around you, control.
Sometimes (more often than we think) we have no control.
that is where acceptance comes in.

I don't think we ever had any control in the first place.

#211532 - 12/05/05 04:15 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Foolsgold]
nenipp Offline
Veteran

I know very little about geniuses, but I don't see high intelligence as a handicap in spiritual development.
I agree with whoever it was that said it's an Ego thing though, it is.
Of course intelligence is as pathetic to cling to as any other manifestation in this world, such as fitness, dan grades, money, looks, snickers, big d***s or what have you, but the highly intelligent person should be smart enough to realise this, or?

#211533 - 12/05/05 04:16 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: nenipp]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

#211534 - 12/05/05 04:26 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: nenipp]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Thats true. now I feel dumb for having thought I was smart and that makes me sad...wait...if I'm sad, then that must mean I'm a genius!
or...

#211535 - 12/05/05 04:42 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
DullBlade42 Offline
Uber-Cool Shindig Host

Loc: Long York, New Island
Quote:

fitness, dan grades, money, looks, snickers, big d***s

I knew someone was talking about me behind their backs!

The only thing that comes to mind is because maybe they're not satisfied because they're are things they're able to do, but for some reason can't.

But how do you know they're unhappy and not just busy? I mean, Einstein didn't even comb his hair.

I'll give a little of my side to the ego thing...
And whoever mispelled "jeanius"...oh my God...that's classic.

Edited by DullBlade42 (12/05/05 04:45 PM)

#211536 - 12/05/05 06:23 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: DullBlade42]
Foolsgold Offline
Veteran

Quote:

But how do you know they're unhappy and not just busy? I mean, Einstein didn't even comb his hair.

"Do you know how Einstein had bad grades? Well, mine are even worse!" -Calvin

#211537 - 12/06/05 04:12 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Foolsgold]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

In this small way, you guys have made my day. I provoked a decent sized group of people to thought, and that's something I've been trying to do for years.

Like I might have said earlier, I'm not really complaining, I'm just wondering. Perhaps it is the complexity of "knowing more" that makes it more difficult for a "genius" to be happy (and mispelling that is a classic, considering I put the spelling in the thread title). I'm not unhappy, quite the contrary, it just always seems to me that there is important stuff to think about before I can be happy. And the whole "my potential is going unfulfilled" thing might be ego, but it still weighs down on me, because it seems to me that I should be doing great things, wihtout regard to my own personal glory but in favor of benefitting the human race as a whole.

This whole thing was as much a rhetorical question as an actual question, but I'm glad people are thinking about what contributes to the quality of their lives.

#211538 - 12/06/05 10:09 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Foolsgold Offline
Veteran

Quote:

This whole thing was as much a rhetorical question as an actual question, but I'm glad people are thinking about what contributes to the quality of their lives.

What do you mean? All of this thinking is making it worse!

#211539 - 12/07/05 01:51 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Bushi,

You are young yet and there are things to do for the rest of your life. The problem has, and will always be, that it will have to be you making those decisions and delivering on them...not wating for an epiphany.

Don't think that no one else has thought that, if nothing else, there life was less remarkable than it should be for want of doing something honest and nobel and benefiting others.

Well, let's say it's the small things that count and the connections with people that you have that matter. And that includes doing honest work for an honest buck and making your own way in this world and treating people that you meet well.

It also means that if you do wish to "ennoble" your life, why not start now...volunteer some place, help the old lady across the street. Do some charity work. These things matter more than you can know to a lot of folk who are desparately looking for help.

It's the little things that need doing that get over looked for the sake of making that touch down in your life.

I'll get off my little soap box, but if you want to help others...there are many folk with their hands out right now.

-B

#211540 - 12/09/05 10:14 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: butterfly]
Foolsgold Offline
Veteran

Nobility is found in taking out the trash.

#211541 - 12/09/05 10:17 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Foolsgold]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Quote:

Nobility is found in taking out the trash.

...or putting it in someone else's trash can

#211542 - 12/09/05 11:47 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: butterfly]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

As far as being the nice guy who does the little things out of kindness, I am already that. Granted, I can be a little brusque in manner when I'm busy, but I always try and find time to be nice to someone.

As far as finding my place in this world, see my thread in the MA talk forum. Today has been one of the greatest days of my life.

#211543 - 12/10/05 09:32 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: BrianS]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
Quote:

Bushi,

Quit talking about me like I'm not here....

#211544 - 12/11/05 01:14 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: RangerG]
nenipp Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

Bushi,

Quit talking about me like I'm not here....

Stupid people seldom know they're stupid and almost never admit it.

(b.t.w I think I'm smart, in case anyone wondered)

#211545 - 12/11/05 01:27 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
goju_girl Offline

Loc: Canada eh!
Quote:

Why are geniuses never truly happy?

cause they have to put up with idiots like me

#211546 - 12/11/05 10:12 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: goju_girl]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Quote:

Quote:

Why are females so self-effacing.

#211547 - 12/11/05 11:02 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: ButterflyPalm]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Because they have to put up with Smart Alecks like me

#211548 - 12/11/05 11:23 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Because they have to put up with Smart Alecks like me

All the Smart Alecks I know are happy.

Sorry G,I didn't know you read in here!!!(don't look in the karate forum)

#211549 - 12/22/05 08:15 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
White_Fox Offline

I once watched a documentary on Carl Jung once, very interesting guy. He said that he observed that people seemed the happier the larger their spiritual horizon was and less the more narrow.

I don't mean "religious" so to speak but spiritual. So even if you got some big balls off a brain if you lock yourself in your mind or the daily toils of life like economic development etc you encase yourself. Running like a hamster in a cage, chocking yourself to , but hey thatís just my experience.

#211550 - 12/23/05 09:58 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: White_Fox]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

[harlan puts on farmer's straw hat, and hikes up overalls]

'Boy, the reason you ain't happy is you ain't never dun nothin'. Take this here shovel and go muck out the cow barn, and when you are dun wit that...whyyyyy I got a whole list of things that need fixin' up 'roun' here.'

#211551 - 12/23/05 05:42 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: harlan]
nenipp Offline
Veteran

harlan, you ARE a genious, you've been a genious the whole time, haven't you

#211552 - 12/23/05 07:28 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: nenipp]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

138 isn't genius...just a wannabe.

#211553 - 12/23/05 09:58 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: nenipp]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Quote:

harlan, you ARE a genious, you've been a genious the whole time, haven't you

I knew that a long time ago; it takes one to know one.

#211554 - 12/23/05 10:13 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: ButterflyPalm]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

lol...yup, thats why all of the 'geniouses' are spelling 'genius' wrong.

#211555 - 12/23/05 10:18 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Ed_Morris]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Sour grapes.

#211556 - 12/24/05 04:49 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: harlan]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Mr.Add is obviesly not awear that all geniuoses sufpher from orthografic disorthers.

#211557 - 12/24/05 06:26 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: ButterflyPalm]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Actually, bad spelling and grammar is the bane of my existence. I had to get into a few flame wars to get that under control Seriously, though, I absolutely abhor internet speak.

#211558 - 12/24/05 07:28 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: harlan]
nenipp Offline
Veteran

Quote:

138 isn't genius...just a wannabe.

aint half bad, assuming a standard deviation of 15?

#211559 - 12/24/05 08:37 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: ButterflyPalm]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

So called 'intelligence testing'. My theory is that many who excel academically are forced to compensate for undiagnosed learning disorders. I, myself, have a hearing and processing deficit....dyslexic as well as sounds don't go to the right place. Sounds have color, ideas have form...unusual ways of processing information.

Edited by harlan (12/24/05 08:42 AM)

#211560 - 12/24/05 08:43 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: harlan]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Of course you could be me and "not" have ADHD (which is technically a disqualifying factor for military service, so I'm just a hyperactive person), and flunk most academic courses due to there being way too many distractions for school (party hearty, rock and roll....)

#211561 - 12/24/05 08:44 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: nenipp]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

I think most of the folks hanging around this zen pool are statistical 'outlyers'...far from being under the Bell Curve. But that just makes us weird...not geniuses.

Quote:

aint half bad, assuming a standard deviation of 15?

#211562 - 12/24/05 10:25 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: harlan]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Gee, harlan, make me feel all alone and miserable again

Just kidding, I know you didn't mean it that way

#211563 - 12/24/05 03:54 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: harlan]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I think most of the folks hanging around this zen pool are statistical 'outlyers'...far from being under the Bell Curve. But that just makes us weird...not geniuses.

I think I'm a statisical outlyer...my school teachers used to tell me: "chances are, you are a flat out-lyer."

#211564 - 12/25/05 12:09 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: harlan]
nenipp Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Yeah, you're probably right...
... and I like weird better than genius anyway

#211565 - 12/25/05 03:25 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Quote:

I absolutely abhor internet speak.

Considering most of it is written, shouldn't it be 'internet write'?

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#211566 - 12/25/05 03:30 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: harlan]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

You hit upon something there Harlan (with the cow mucking).

Probably geniuses have an idea that they have to use their mental ability and often lack the chances to do it and probably feel guilty about it. How many times have you been happy doing nothing until some idiot tells you that you're 'wasting your potential' or 'you've got brains, why don't you use them'?

If they were able to just have a relaxed time and muck out the cows occasionally it might be easier.

Of course, it could be that they don't have anyone to talk to, either...

#211567 - 12/25/05 04:43 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: trevek]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Something like that. It is more like, academics and intellectuals are mentally disconnected from their bodies. While they are internally directed they are in a world of the head/ideas and unaware of the experiential. To bring it back to martial arts...being on the mat immediately reconnects one to ones body. So does physical labor, farming, meditation, dancing, giving birth, etc. Happy people are connected people.

#211568 - 12/25/05 05:39 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: harlan]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

I once asked Phillip Zarrili about this (shame I didn't ask him how to spell his name). He was talking about 'the sacred' in theatre and I commented that 'the sacred' a 19th Century concept made up by intellectuals with too much time on their hands. Many holy people actually talk of finding the sacred in everyday work.

Afterwards, his partner came upto me and said that her father was a farmer and, although he didn't necessarily 'believe' in a divine being, he said he felt closer to 'it' when he was working in the fields.

I always find that no matter what the crap around me, when I walk into the dojo/dojang/kwoon, I know why I'm there and I'm connected.

#211569 - 12/26/05 04:25 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: trevek]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Treveck, that was a brilliant post. And yes, I know that most things are "written" on the internet, but when referring to a form of communication (refer to George Orwell's 1984) "speak" is the proper suffix to call something (ie, newspeak, oldspeak, etc.) For example, "Armyspeak" would be using the acronyms for everything, such as ASVAB (armed services vocational aptitude battery), BCT (basic combat training), AIT (advanced individual training), OSUT (one station unit training), USAREC (US Army Recruiting), SOCOM (special operations command), etc.

However, the brilliant post was the one about being "connected". I am at my happiest when I am "doing" something. For a genius, being "connected" is to be doing something that improves the overall quality of people's lives. Intellectualism doesn't interest me. I thoroughly enjoy learning new things, but to put the pursuit of knowledge above practical considerations defies the logic that so many "intellectuals" espouse and love so much. This is perhaps the biggest reason for joining the Army. I hope that by being involved and "connected" to something bigger than myself, I can help change the lives of many people for the better, as well as improve myself much more than I have been able while in Northern California.

Geniuses come in many different forms. The word merely refers to having a gift. There are many geniuses out there who find a positive outlet for their gift, and make a decent life for themselves. Hopefully, I'll find my outlet soon.

#211570 - 12/26/05 04:53 PM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Thanks for your kind appreciation Bushi.

Good luck with the army. I was in myself for a while (UK) but it wasn't the right thing for me (or maybe I wasn't the right thing for it), however, I can't say it wasn't useful or I didn't learn anything. My brother has been in over 25 years and served alongside the US forces in the first Gulf campaign (Desert Storm?). My best wishes to you and your comrades.

BTW, I did know about 'speak' I was just indulging in being a smart-arse

#211571 - 12/27/05 06:10 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: trevek]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Back off, man, Resident Forum Smart Aleck is my title!

#211572 - 12/27/05 11:19 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Sorry, I was just a visiting smart-arse. Usually I just talk c-rap

#211573 - 01/04/06 11:52 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: trevek]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

I think the mark of someone who experiences happiness is someone who has learned 'to let go.'

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga