FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#211493 - 12/05/05 12:04 AM Why are geniuses never truly happy?
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
One of our members has/had a signature line that said "I'll rather be happy than right". There have been other threads with links to documents over the last few days (here and bullshido) where it was painfully obvious that the writer was both highly intelligent and not really happy in life. Looking upon my own life, I see the same thing. I'm highly intelligent, I've learned alot in my short life, but I'm not truly happy with my life. Look throughout history, and all the people who come across as intelligent, or even geniuses, also come across as being less than happy most of their lives. Examples would include Abraham Lincoln, Napoleon Bonaparte, Albert Einstein, etc. Can anyone think of a reason why this is?

#211494 - 12/05/05 12:18 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline
Resident Forum Breakdancer

I think it has to go along the cliched lines of:

Ignorance is bliss
What you don't know, can't hurt you

This might just be a correlation, not a cause.
These people were also under enormous stress in their days, they had a LOT to do, a lot of responsabilities, and a lot to think about. Being the smarty pants that they were, people probably looked up to them, expected and demanded answers and perfection from them....

Like I said though, this is probably just an interesting correlation rather than causation.....
There's a good study most psych classes use to illustrate this point, about toasters and birth control. I can't remember the name of it, or the researchers, but it's a common example of why correlation does not equal causation.

#211495 - 12/05/05 12:19 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Bushi,

The reason...you don't generally focus on the happy geniuses, because they don't complain.

Life is hard on many levels. How you view and accept life and how you live your life will engender happiness, or not.

Rememeber Aristotle...the unexamined life is one not worth living. I would have an addendum to that and state that if you have found things unhappy in life, correct what you can and abide the rest. Happiness on one level will take care of itself.

I hope things work out for you.

-B

#211496 - 12/05/05 01:06 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Foolsgold Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Lyon, MI, USA
LOL! We just can't win, can we?

(Or lose. This is, after all, the zen forum. )

#211497 - 12/05/05 01:09 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

take this with a grain of salt bushi...I'm just picking on you, but there is a point.

I'd rather be happy AND right. When I see cake, I like to eat it too.

Abraham Lincoln - civil war was probably kindof a 'downer'.

Napoleon Bonaparte - what conquoer in history has ever been happy? oh, I'm happy with taking west Europe, think I'll stop here. nope...on to Russia!

Albert Einstein - women problems and WW2 Germany...can you blame him?

how about Mozart? money trouble.
Da Vinci? church and political problems. (too bad he didn't invent separation of church and state)
Steven Hawking? seems happy to me despite the wheel chair, incurable disease and life support.

maybe they became who they are BECAUSE of the hardship and sadness that follows? maybe it takes extrodanary circumstances to make people extrodanary.

now Edgar Allan Poe and Van Gogh were some unhappy fellas...not sure what happened there. think it was abject fear of death and a broken heart.

#211498 - 12/05/05 01:21 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Ed_Morris]
Foolsgold Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Lyon, MI, USA
I actually think there's something to what Bushi is saying. For instance, when I read this verse:

23Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. (Mat 19)

...I think of it as applying to all things in life (intelligence, skills, ability, social status, etc.). The more we have, the more we have to lose. I know that there's something like this in the Tao te Ching (sp?), but I'm not as familiar with that. It was something like: With wisdom comes war and poverty, with foolishness comes peace and joy.

Wow, I butchered that.

#211499 - 12/05/05 01:26 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Bushi,
If it makes you feel any better I know stupid people that aren't happy either.

#211500 - 12/05/05 01:46 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: BrianS]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

LMAO

#211501 - 12/05/05 02:29 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: BrianS]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
It's not that I'm necessarily unhappy with my life. There have been good parts to it. Part of what triggered this thread is that recently I was looking at alot of photos of myself, and it seems that from about the age of twelve, each year, the smile seems more and more forced, or less and less a smile. In fact, it seems the periods of time I enjoyed the most were when I was focused entirely on some serious task.

I guess some element of loneliness might have something to do with it. I have only three really close friends that I can sit and talk to for long periods of time, and that is only because they are also more intelligent than average. Perhaps living in a more populated area might alleviate some of that, but as some of you know, I'm somewhat limited in my ability to move, hence joining the Army. I expect that there are many people out in the world today who have above average IQs, who get to do a job related to what they are truly passionate about, but we never hear about such people. They would be the auto mechanic who could give you the stats of every NASCAR race ever, or the clerk at Barnes & Noble who is consumed by reading. But in this area, I have been denied jobs related to the things I'm interested in, despite multiple applications (I guess the video game stores don't want me becuase they figure I'll spend all my time on the demo systems while at work ) I do know that much of my lack of happiness is due to knowing that I have so much potential going unfullfilled. All I need though, is an opportunity, which hasn't well been presented to me at this point (the people who could have made such an opportunity keep messing things up royally, except for my recruiter) Perhaps it's just a matter of time, and enlisting, and having the opportunity to excel. I will know soon enough.

#211502 - 12/05/05 03:26 AM Re: Why are geniuses never truly happy? [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Alicia Offline

Loc: BC, Canada
Why geniuses aren't ever really happy is because they're smart enough to figure out the system. We are all controlled to maintain the structure of society. If we weren't to cooperate, the structure would collapse. We base our lives around capital, something to which we assign value, and consequently, something artificial that will never truly make us happy. Break the cycle. Find out what really makes you happy (things that aren't harmful to anyone), and try to incorporate it in your daily life as much as possible. Don't focus on money. Earn enough money to be comfortable. Don't base your life on it. Base your life on happiness, and money to simply pay for the necessities. This is all easier said than done.

If you like videogames, try to find a realistic videogame-related job. Once in a while, there will be jobs posted in local BC papers for people wanting work as video game testers - people who test out video games for a living. Find out if there are any opportunities like this in your area.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga